It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wile e coyote at the end of his road. Bang bang…

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

I have a pack of coyotes on my farm that will more than likely receive similar treatment.
They have killed more than two local house dogs, and about 4 fawns that I know of.
That's not including the numerous other animals they've killed.
It's getting pretty ridiculous when I can't walk my German Shepherd without a rifle in hand.
I lose her and it's permanent sleepy time for ol' Wiley and his clan.

How would any of you naysayers like to lose your cherished pet to a pack of coyotes?
Then you may feel differently about dispatching one...or a few.
It gets tough when your best friend gets mutilated in front of you...

Coyotes are becoming more than a nuisance.
The numbers here need to be slimmed down, also.
It's open season all year 'round here because of it.

There's no harm in protecting your property and livestock from an animal that was brought to our lands to feed off turkey and other excellent/useful game animals. Now they have become a problem and we deal with it our way.

Don't need no stupid comments about "it's life" either.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Cute assumption, there.

I understand about coyotes very well. I lived in the country-side in Nevada and Arizona. Coyotes every where. We have them in New York now, too; I hear them in the woods when I go camping; my dogs yell and scream when they try to come snuffling around the camp. They're so easy to scare off. Yes, I've been stalked by them. There are better ways of dealing with them than just snuffing out their lives. Not to say I wouldn't kill a rabid one- but that's a bit different.

You should be ashamed of yourself- I mean you joke about taking a life. That should never be funny.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Suggestions on making the job easier.

Take a motion detector from one of those 10 dollar motion detector lights. Do not use the lights, just the detector. Wire it up so that it will turn on a radio in the house. Mount the detector on an object that overlooks the target area.

The target area should preferably be under an existing night light that the local coyotes are already use to, and ignore. If you have to put up a new light for the kill box, then it may take a few weeks for them to get use to it and approach it.

Put dry cat food out right in the middle of the motion detector field.

Pick a door or window that you can open without making any noise. Keep the lights off in the room that you will shoot from.

Make sure that there is at least a couple hundred feet between the kill box, and your shooting area. Any closer and it will be impossible to get in position to shoot without alerting them that you are there. If they don’t know you are there, they will approach the the target area one at a time without fear. If they know you are there, they will only push into the area in a pack, and it will be hard to handle. Take aim, fire one shot, and fall silent. Don’t keep shooting or the survivors will figure out what is happening, and where you are shooting from, and the shooting location will be rendered useless. They will attack everything else on your property except that spot.

Let the possums and raccoons eat the food for a while. The paths, and scent trails they make to the food will lead the coyotes there.
edit on 9-2-2013 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye

Cute assumption, there.

What assumption? It's not about you.

I understand about coyotes very well. I lived in the country-side in Nevada and Arizona. Coyotes every where. We have them in New York now, too; I hear them in the woods when I go camping; my dogs yell and scream when they try to come snuffling around the camp. They're so easy to scare off. Yes, I've been stalked by them. There are better ways of dealing with them than just snuffing out their lives. Not to say I wouldn't kill a rabid one- but that's a bit different.

Seriously? What economic hardship have you endured because of them? "Easy to scare off" you say? Try scaring off a dozen when it's just you and your dog and you're unarmed. Any SINGLE one is easy to scare off. Better ways of dealing with them? Like put them in a petting zoo so your grandchildren can see them? Aww, that's so cute. I know--another cute assumption.

Here's another little bizzare twist. You know why there are so many of these guys out there now? Because we killed off the wolves, which are natural predators of the coyote. When the wolves disappeared (in all but a few tiny areas of the US) the coyotes took over their niche.

P.S. I didn't make the joke, but I understand why OP did. City slickers, always willing to tell country folk what to do.

P.P.S. That's the fattest coyote I have ever seen in the wild. Most all of them I've seen up here are thin beasts with their ribs showing, especially in Winter when they start to roam into the neighborhoods looking for tasty cats to eat.

Good on ya OP.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Coyotes are also driving out all the other predators like bobcats and foxes and lynx. I'd hate to see any of those animals extirpated from their present range. It's because they're pack animals that they are such a severe nuisance.
Honestly, if it were me shooting pest animals I would joke about it to relieve some of the guilt I would still feel for having to do it. But If it must be done no point in slapping ourselves over it.
Many who criticize only do so because they know they don't have the fortitude to take a life when necessary. Our economic system has removed people so far from the reality of death as a daily part of our lives that they refuse to deal with it in any fashion. It's another reason youth culture is endemic - it's as far away from death as they can get.
They're happy to let someone else kill their chickens, cows and pigs for them though.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Okay, fair enough. However, I am just wondering what you hoped to accomplish from posting this. Was it praise? If so, it wasn't really that hard IMO. In any case, I do not say this because I wan't to uphold "politically correct" views, since I could care less what is politically correct. I am saying this as an opinion I hold, that is not influenced by political views. I am no PETA supporter if that is what you are getting at.

I just don't understand the reason for glorifying it like this. Sure, it may have been necessary, and I don't think you should have to keep it a secret, more just not unnecessarily plaster it everywhere.

Have you ever seen Avatar? I know it is not the greatest movie, and is rather cliche, but cliches are so for a reason. The way the Nav'i treat hunting in that movie was the same manner in which I would. With the utmost sanctity placed upon the value of life. The scene were she is angered by her having to kill the carnivore animal to save him, and she says something like "You are like a child", implying he was ignorant for wandering around to the point where he was put in harms way. I know I didn't convey that is well as I could have, but I hope you see my point.

In any case, I disagree with your motives and opinions, so I voiced that disagreement. If I had known you didn't want any dissent from anyone on this thread, then I am missing the point of this website I think. I didn't know everyone had to agree with you or not post in your thread, sorry.

No offense intended by the way. I am just generally curious as to what you found comedic about this, and the intent of your post all together.
edit on 10-2-2013 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

ETA: Just to clarify, my argument is not one dealing with the necessity of killing them on occasion. My argument is more that there was no need to glorify it and gloat about, which seemed to be the intent. I surely don't see the comedy in it.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Many who criticize only do so because they know they don't have the fortitude to take a life when necessary.

I appreciate that you said "many", because I am not one of those. I criticized the glorification of it, as I have stated many times, not the action itself. In any case, I surely do have the fortitude to take a life when necessary, but I don't gloat about it. Also, the key word here is "necessary" (not saying that this wasn't as I don't really know).

They're happy to let someone else kill their chickens, cows and pigs for them though.

Well, I don't support that, so don't lump me in with those who are as such. I abhor the current way those animals are processed. However, I am no vegetarian either.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

How would any of you naysayers like to lose your cherished pet to a pack of coyotes?

Well, I wouldn't need to worry about, since I would keep a closer hold on my pets. If you are so worried about a dog getting killed by a coyote, then keep him/her in inside, and watch him/her when he is outside, or put up a good fence. I can't stand it when I see random dogs walking around the neighborhood because their owners are lazy, incompetent, or both.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
What an absolutely stupid and disgusting thread.... pathetic.

Honestly one of the worst on ATS in my almost 5 years here.

What next, someone going to post the body of the intruder they shot breaking into their house? Maybe film themselves moving his mouth and talking in a funny voice?

Seriously wtf??

Some of the topics that are banned on ATS.... while this kind of absolute **** is allowed?

FFS

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

While he is standing prone, he would probably be over two and a half feet tall to the top of his head.

but he's not anymore - is he?

most people who feel they have a need to shoot coyotes don't also have a need to brag about it

or joke about it

big man

edit to add: how is this even OK here - even in chit chat?

edit on 2/10/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I realize it's difficult for city dwellers to appreciate the issues here.

seriously - would you just stop with that city folk/country folk crap

and it is crap

there are plenty of us that grew up in rural areas - with coyotes - and hunting - that recognize this thread as nothing more than what it is

there's no need to post your kills online - unless your 13 and it makes you feel like some kind of hero

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Redacted.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Enough with this bickering, I started this thread to give people an idea of what was going on around here, not to start a sensitivity war to find out who is most offended!

Good GOD………. Talk about coming unhinged!

People talk about hunting and killing things in the survival section all the time, but if someone post a picture of where they actually killed a wild animal, then people start running around like they have lost their ever loving minds!

I would hate to think of what reaction I would have gotten, if I had started a full tutorial on how to skin him, and tan the hide.

And then people saying such a thread should be banned?
Ban someone talking about a normal day to day activity that is perfectly legal?
Someone called the thought police?

If you are offended, and disgusted this easily, then you really need to get a grip. You have been living in your cubical too long.

edit on 10-2-2013 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
you started this thread as a joke

because you were bored

it wasn't educational, philosophical - it's nothing

I figure you got exactly the reaction you wanted

and - we aren't bickering - we're condemning

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Reading comprehension here. Read my first post.
I posted what happened “with a little humor.” The entire post was not a joke.
I just threw in the normal punch lines that plenty of people have said before, to hopefully give someone a little chuckle.

Is that illegal somehow?

I am seeing visions of thought police dancing in my head right now.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Wile e coyote at the end of his road. Bang bang…,

This coyote seems to have a major malfunction.
Tried to give him some lead supplement.
It appears the side effect is severe heart and lung leakage.
I don’t think he is going to make it.

Was bored, so I thought I would post it with a little humor.

What was that about reading comprehension?

The entire post was not a joke

True - you did post how big it was - and how far away

You can be as dishonest with yourself as you want

What I'm saying is your OP - if you can even call it that - is in bad form

T&C prevents me from saying what I want to say

Thought police? Get real

edit on 2/10/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

The primary reason I made the post is to tell people I managed to get another coyote that night. Not to make a joke. Nothing else to do that night, so why not?

I could have made a dry boring post stating.

Got another coyote

(picture)

He was out back of the house tonight.
Shot at about 95 yards.

Size as he lay in the picture
45 inches nose to tail.
32 inches nose to butt
24 inches tall from foot to the flat of his back
While he is standing prone, he would probably be over two and a half feet tall to the top of his head.

Moderate size, not close to the biggest I have seen

But I decided to throw a little bit of humor onto the front after I had already started the posting process.

I would have made the post anyway. But I have a feeling that people would still be screaming if I hadn’t added the humor on the front. They just don’t like what I did, and are grasping at straws to find something to denounce the post.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Who's grasping at straws?

Don't worry - I'm done

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
I would hate to think of what reaction I would have gotten, if I had started a full tutorial on how to skin him, and tan the hide.

Actually, had something like that been posted in the survival sections, and it wasn't based in comedy, then I would have had no qualms about it. Actually, I probabaly would have welcomed it, seeing is how that is process I would like to more fully understand.

And then people saying such a thread should be banned?
Ban someone talking about a normal day to day activity that is perfectly legal?
Someone called the thought police?

That wasn't me who said those things, and I didn't think it should have been banned. I am not a firm believer in all of the banned posts for being insensitive. I was just giving my opinion on your OP, which I thought was okay. If you think that your thread was okay in being posted, then surely my sentiments on the matter should have been.

If you are offended, and disgusted this easily, then you really need to get a grip. You have been living in your cubical too long.

Oh come on now, we had all the right to express how offensive this seemed and that it was disgusting to be comedic about killing a living creature. In any case, I didn't mean to be rude or confrontational about it. Sorry for dragging this on so long, just try to be a tad more sensitive to the value others place on life in the future, if you don't mind. So, thanks for hearing me out, and good luck to you with things like this in the future.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join