It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts-State of Emergency

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Seems like he's on top of things. Maybe he wants to keep FEMA out of his state.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
SO...What about people and trucks that work for the power companies?...What about folks that work in Hospitals, and nursing homes?
This just doesn't make sense to me...
And since when, is Matial Law, declared as a preemptive? I would think that such a drastic measure should require some proof that it is needed, shouldn't it? Otherwise, the boy who cried wolf, sure does cost a lot of taxpayer's money for nought.....
edit on 2/8/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
From the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency:

A ban on motor vehicle travel has been issued beginning at 4:00 PM today (Friday 2/8) until further notice. There are exceptions for public safety vehicles and public safety workers, including contract personnel; public works vehicles and public works workers, including contract personnel; government officials conducting official business; utility company vehicles and utility workers; healthcare workers who must travel to and from work in order to provide essential health services; news media; travel necessary to maintain and deliver critical private sector services such as energy, fuel supplies and delivery, financial systems and the delivery of critical commodities; travel to support business operations that provide critical services to the public, including gasoline stations, food stores and hardware stores.

www.mass.gov...

Since a state of emergency has been declared, it makes sense that all nonessential employees would be allowed to go home. Otherwise, the employer would be held liable for any harm that comes to their employees and the employees property if the employee becomes stranded/wrecked on the road after the mandatory cutoff time.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

The governor signed an executive order imposing the statewide travel ban, believed to be the first of its kind since the blizzard of 1978

Maybe thats what I heard this morning, I thought for sure I heard 1888, but I was also sleeping. Either way, safety come first.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

Touche'...

link   
reply to post by Manhater

Really? And what about citizen walking areound instead of using their automobiles upon the public highways - what is the rationale behind those restrictions? What gives the governor the authority to suspend travel by foot?
Further, what gives the governor the authority to imprision foot travelers in a shelter? Why wouldn't those folks be allowed to return to their homes?

ganjoa

link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

I don't know that a travel ban has issued in New Hampshire, I only know it has in MA because I live here, it's rare but I'm assuming that because a travel ban has been issued that all businesses have to shut down in time for people to get home. This being a fairly common type of storm here most people don't even open their businesses, it's not worth it to turn the power on for a few hours and pay employees to sit around with nothing to do because no one is out that doesn't absolutely have to be anyway.

Trust me I've already been outside to shovel and it is really nasty out there

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

I see from your panel you are from Florida. Compare this to a hurricane. Wouldn't it be prudent to plan for the worst? Even if it doesn't happen?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

Jeeze, people posted the text of the order.
Try reading it.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Anyone who was up here and lived through the Storm of 78 knows exactly why this is being done. This storm is expected to be almost as bad. In '78, fire, police, EMS, and power company vehicles couldn't do their job because of blocked roads. Hundreds of people were stuck in their vehicles an had to abandon them -- even on one of the areas largest highways. The cleanup and extrication of people was massive. And from my experience up here, there are just too many stupid people to let them tool around in the storm.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

There's no ban on foot travel.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
And from my experience up here, there are just too many stupid people to let them tool around in the storm.

And that sums it up.
That is so true. People in SUV's that think because they can get up to speed that they can still slow down as if the road was dry.
Keep the roads clear people. Those idiots are going to need an ambulance.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
State of emergencies and martial law are for the "dumb people" created to save the morons from themselves.

Really how hard is it too look outside and think "not a good idear to drive" ??????????.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Sheesh. The gubmint sez stay off roads, the boss says you can't leave work early to accommodate that. What to do what to do.

Assess the situation, make a determination, and do what you need to. If you need a governor or boss to tell you what you should or shouldn't do in an emergency, you probably shouldn't be out loose, anyway.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
reply to post by Manhater

Really? And what about citizen walking areound instead of using their automobiles upon the public highways - what is the rationale behind those restrictions? What gives the governor the authority to suspend travel by foot?
Further, what gives the governor the authority to imprision foot travelers in a shelter? Why wouldn't those folks be allowed to return to their homes?

ganjoa

Imprisioned in a shelter?? You're kidding right? The fact that 16 people died in the last snowstorm doesn't phase you at all?

By that reasoning the airlines that cancelled all flights have also infringed on your basic human right to freeze to death.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So go back in time and tell the founders that.
Tell them they're nannyists and to let everyone suffer because of morons.
edit on 8-2-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Yeah....usually I'm on the side of conspiracy,upholding rights etc. But there seems to be a lot of overreaction and looking for injustice where there is none here.

These kinds of situations can be extremely dangerous....people trapped in cars freeze to death,cars get stuck,a body count can pile up very quick.

I don't see anywhere where it says if people decide to drive after 4 PM that they'll be shipped off to the gulag or imprisoned. It's to let people know the seriousness of the situation.

This is smart thinking by that Governor and if he DIDN'T do it and the whole state turned in a mass frozen graveyard,you'd all be faulting him for that.

Best to ere on the side of safety.

HLF

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
My plea is for all affected to follow the emergency call.

Prevention is better than cure. Each and every human life is precious and means something special to another. The SOE is only for a limited time and in NO way that can infringe upon the rights of mortals who live at least for decades and not days.

The storm is bad, thus may everyone take care, and for those who cannot leave early, find a place to hunker down safely till the worst is over, from the news in your iphones or friend's radio networks.

The State is doing what it is supposed to do, and rightfully so, learning from past mistakes to save as many lives as possible.

Good luck to all, and do take care.
edit on 8-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RegisteredUser
By that reasoning the airlines that cancelled all flights have also infringed on your basic human right to freeze to death.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

No, they infringed on your right to die in a plane crash. If you don't know your rights, you cold lose them and stuff.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by neo96

So go back in time and tell the founders that.
Tell them they're nannyists and to let everyone suffer because of morons.
edit on 8-2-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

I wish i could then I could fix the second amendment so that people would get it but then agian the founders didn't need to declare state of emergencies and tell people to keep their horses off the trails.
edit on 8-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join