It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Purchases 21.6 million more rounds of ammunition..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It has seemed for some time that the Federal Government was trying to buy up enough ammo supply to cause shortages for civilians. As the war in Iraq wound down (blamed for shortages in prior years) these purchases picked up.

Are we missing extreme contracts for 5.56 ammunition too, because it has been in the shortest supply.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

I'm starting to think that all of these huge ammo orders may be some type of backdoor way to disarm the American people.

This is exactly my train of thought. Add to this the rush that occurred end of last year to buy ammo, then all the various orders for the government and there is an actual shortage of ammo. Add to that the military ranges that are destroying the brass shells instead of letting gun owners have them for reloading.

Seperately all the different instances may seem benign or routine, but added up they appear....nefarious *queue dramatic orchastra music*

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The people saying it is because the government wants to reduce the amount of ammo on main street have to be correct. And they are doing a wonderful job at it too. When you can go to a store and not even find .22 ammo something is wrong. And if they are doing it on purpose they need to be called out for it, this is crap. Example after a month of looking for .22 I finally found it in stock at Gander Mt, but they had it behind the counter unlike all the other ammo stacked on the sales floor. So I took my number from the machine and had to wait 45 min for my turn. Only to take literally 10 seconds for the clerk to hand it across the counter to me to walk up to the front of the store to cash out. 500 round brick of super x for 32.00, a rip off in my mind but when you need it you pay it. But I got a nifty wooden crate special edition package lol.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
For those of you saying that they're doing this to keep ammo out of civilian hands, you have to realize they can't keep doing this forever. Unless the manufactures are shut down, ammunition will continue to be made.

Not saying they aren't trying to keep ammo out of our hands, but they can't do it forever.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by KawRider9

I was thinking that they are buying it all up so there will be less on the shelves for civilians. It does make you wonder if they know about some invasion in the future where it is going to be needed, but really it could be like I said just to rid the store shelves against civilian purchases and drive the price of ammo sky high.

Hollow point bullets are next to useless in War.. They are for unarmored opponents, meaning civilians, not foreign invaders..

I also agree with the scarcity angle.. Making me very nervous.

@above post, no they can't keep buying it up forever, but these contracts are extended some for 5 years.. They don't need to do it forever, just long enough till something pops off.. that's what scares me if this is in fact the tactic.

edit on 2/7/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
The people saying it is because the government wants to reduce the amount of ammo on main street have to be correct. And they are doing a wonderful job at it too. When you can go to a store and not even find .22 ammo something is wrong. And if they are doing it on purpose they need to be called out for it, this is crap. Example after a month of looking for .22 I finally found it in stock at Gander Mt, but they had it behind the counter unlike all the other ammo stacked on the sales floor. So I took my number from the machine and had to wait 45 min for my turn. Only to take literally 10 seconds for the clerk to hand it across the counter to me to walk up to the front of the store to cash out. 500 round brick of super x for 32.00, a rip off in my mind but when you need it you pay it. But I got a nifty wooden crate special edition package lol.

Yes...I've truly been trying to understand the .22lr shortage. It doesn't make any sense. So far, I have several possibilities as to why...

1) Several models of .22 were listed by name on Feinstein's bill...
2) .22lr is generally the cheapest ammo to buy...
3) .22lr is the cheapest ammo to make, therefore manufacturers may be cutting back on .22 to ramp up production of the higher profit margin calibers....
4) Fear induced hysteria has caused the sheep to hoard ammo, and .22 is the cheapest to bulk up on.
5) .22lr is easier to hoard in great quantities because of it's size...

I'm just swinging for the fences here, because it doesn't make any sense to me...

Does anyone else have another idea, as to why .22LR is so hard to find now? And why private sellers are asking up to $75 for a bulk box of cheap CPHP's???

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

I've been wondering the same thing with .22's. Everyone is sold out here. At the gun show last weekend, NONE of the dealers had ANY. I bought some from a guy in the parking lot though.
Can't find .308 rounds either. I ended up getting some reloaded rounds, cause that's all that's out there.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
If they are buying all this ammo to keep out of civilian hands, why aren't they stocking up the police departments across the Country that are under supplied?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Should have bought more than one brick!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9
If they are buying all this ammo to keep out of civilian hands, why aren't they stocking up the police departments across the Country that are under supplied?

Haven't you seen all of the news stories, about all of the heads of those local police and sheriff's departments, speaking out against the feds and their recent bills and laws? That's why....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Yes, I've been paying attention. I was just seeing if anyone else was.

They don't want us or the cops to have ammo. Nope, nothing to see here!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Surely there must be someone who works in an ammo company here on ATS? perhaps with the sudden demand bosses at the factories just decided to keep production at the same level but slap on a 50% desperation surcharge and milk the demand

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

I agree there is something not right about 'practice' shooting
with hollow points,it's a waste of good ammo.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybro
Who is DHS planning on going to war against?

They maybe going to war against the population of the U.S.A.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I don't let fear run my life and I won't back down from
a fight that can't be avoided!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

You got it there.I have the list of all sheriffs' refusing to obey
any gun grab on my signature.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is very very curious and worrisome.

First, in years past (pre Obama), did these agencies buy ammo to this degree??? If not, why are they doing it now?

Has anyone asked their congressman to look into it?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

I agree there is something not right about 'practice' shooting
with hollow points,it's a waste of good ammo.

It is routine for law enforcement to practice with the same thing that they would use while on duty. I only have one personal contact locally for information like this, but he says that whether it be training or on-duty stock, it all comes from the same pile of lead for them. He also added that they go through many, many rounds in short periods of time when they have to do their mandatory pistol and rifle training every year.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by flyswatter

Since I am not a police officer I find the use of hollow points
for practice a waste of ammo.
I use .38's for practice with my .357 and not my hollow points.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by flyswatter

Since I am not a police officer I find the use of hollow points
for practice a waste of ammo.
I use .38's for practice with my .357 and not my hollow points.

Could be any number of reasons why they use the same thing, but the one that would make the most sense to me would be that they want the practice "experience" to feel the same as if they were firing their weapon while on duty. Could also be that the bulk order is cheaper on the budget if they are ordering a single type. Who knows.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join