It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

35 ancient pyramids discovered in Sudan necropolis

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Not sure if this was posted but this is a very interesting discovery indeed. It never stops to amaze us when ancient sites are discovered around the globe. It would only make sense to look into the surrounding nations around egypt for more evidence of the ancient civilization and its roots.

At least 35 small pyramids, along with graves, have been discovered clustered closely together at a site called Sedeinga in Sudan.

Discovered between 2009 and 2012, researchers are surprised at how densely the pyramids are concentrated. In one field season alone, in 2011, the research team discovered 13 pyramids packed into roughly 5,381 square feet, or slightly larger than an NBA basketball court.

LINK

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Interesting discovery...I'm assuming that the circles on the top of the pyramids were for ceremonial purposes.

It's amazing that as densly populated as our world is that we continue to find hidden remnants of our ancient past.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Good find OP.

The desire of the kingdom's people to build pyramids was apparently influenced by Egyptian funerary architecture.

Well, I'll go along with Egyptian influence for the Pyramids, but using them for burial was more likely their idea. I don't believe the Great Pyramid and its siblings were built as tombs. Just my opinion though.
____________________________________________________________________________________
reply to isyeye

It's amazing that as densly populated as our world is that we continue to find hidden remnants of our ancient past.

A lot of politics involved. But I think one reason is probably that we are living on top of much that might have been found. Occasionally you'll hear of something being found underneath a modern building or road when a construction project starts digging. Too bad, I'll bet there's some cool stuff under our feet.

edit on 2/7/2013 by Klassified because: formatting

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I know technology exists to scan the ground but wish it was probably advanced even further to scan remote locations which are still unexplored. Who knows what else is out there.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

This is interesting. Many of the cultural elements associated with Egypt originated in the Sudanic-Saharan areas; and cultural diffusion, or the dissemination of ideas and practices, influenced many societies along the Nile River - this is evident in the multidirectional and dynamic relationship between Egypt and its southern neighbor.

Does anyone know how close Sedeinga is to the Meroë pyramids?
edit on 2/7/2013 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Although this is interesting I wouldn't really call them pyramids as such. Sudan does have pyramids, some of them looking very skillfully crafted: www.picture.ms...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I like the shape of these structures -- they're rather elegant looking. And it's fascinating that they decided to use pyramids thousands of years after the last pyramid in Egypt was constructed.

It'd be interesting to see if all the "rays" are aligned in the same way -- and possibly if there's an astronomical alignment to them.

(just saw the inscription to "grandmother" mentioned in the article. That's so touching.)
edit on 8-2-2013 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I never get bored seeing this kind of discovery.

Here in Australia we have found several pyramids in the eastern states.

No doubt more will be discovered under the sea, on the mainlands and some islands.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Could they possibly be for water storage? Assuming they could hold water without leakage, throw a cover on those things and they would be great for storing water.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

Who says this is "our" ancient past? We could be the squatters that took over someone else's abandoned home.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

I will listen in.

Hope it's worth the time

Belting the messenger is always the first reaction

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The tomb of Askia Mohammed I. Built at the end of the 15th century, at Gao in Mali.
Iam a newbie here and so far really really pleased that I signed-up cutting edged info, everyday is like breaking news you guys have my respect I hope in time I can earn yours.
I don't know if you guys have seen the tomb of Askia the great of Mali above and the tumulus of southern Nigeria below,but it showed that ideas traveled far and wide with local innovation.

Nsude Pyramids in Abaja, Northern Igbo land ''The Nsude pyramids in 1935. These ten circular stepped pyramids were associated with the Uto deity and were made of mud. Their reconstruction is needed.'' - Bournemouth University Archaeological team.
I am not sure for what they were used I am still searching,if anyone have the answer please post.

top topics

join