It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people say hello to one another on trail paths but not on a sidewalk?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
If walking though the park on a trail nearly every single person on the trail you walk past seems to say hello to one another. But when walking down a sidewalk this practice almost seems to not exist.

Is it the environment, people's fear that people get raped/killed in forests so they want to appear friendly, or the type of people that walk on nature trails that keeps this practice going? I can't figure it out.

edit on 7-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Why do peopl

Because it's fun?
Try it out.

- Lee

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

lol.

I pressed enter and it submitted the thread before I could finish.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The trail people have understanding for each other.. joggers know the pain other joggers are experiencing (or the runner high) its a smaller group of people.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
When you're meeting with like minded people you're bound to share something special and say hi.
When you're walking down the street it's a mission to get to an end.
Try saying "hello mate" to a total stranger on the London underground and just watch peoples reactions it's hilarious

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Sidewalks are meant for business. People have created a stigma in the city that you should just mind your own.

Trails are meant for pleasure. Which love provides.

I totally know what you mean, when you go camping it's like a different world out there..

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I don't know but in Canada we seem to say hello to almost everyone that we make eye contact with. Even just a nod of hello if passing by.

I stand outside my store in the mornings and watch cars come and go from the parking lot and if we make eye contact, there's a nod. If they're on the street it's "How's it going?" "Not bad...you?"

I guess that's just Canada?

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
We do it all the time here in Canada.

... just ask the "Beav" :

Friendly to the point of potential self-destruction

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
The trail people have understanding for each other.. joggers know the pain other joggers are experiencing (or the runner high) its a smaller group of people.

^This

...and also have you ever said 'hello' to every single passing person on a sidewalk?

It gets very old very fast but I guess that depends on where you live, such as a city or a small town. In a city people passing by are not as rare as say a hiker on a trail so it can be a tedious task for a friendly person to expect the other party to respectfully return a simple gesture back.

I can say that I don't greet every person walking down the sidewalk to and from my job or school as I'd like to have a little bit of breath when i reach my destination.
but hey everyone is quite different and some can be hesitant to talk to strangers.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Sidewalk represents= The Grind

Trail represents= Your day off the grind.

The Grind is not supposed to be pleasant. I seen many ass beatings on the sidewalk.

"You are on the wrong sidewalk at the wrong time homie- break yoself foo".

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
and some places it is obvious that society is crumbling before your very eyes.

Originally posted by SmoothRhythm
reply to post by g146541

I agree 100%. In my town, people don't even look each other in the eyes anymore. When you walk passed somebody, it seems to be customary to just stare at the ground and pretend no one is even there.

When I was growing up, I was taught to either give a nod and/or a friendly smile followed by a "Hello".

I'd give somebody the money out of my wallet if they can walk by 10 strangers today and get a hello out of 5 of them.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Sidewalks are just less welcoming than trails. Also, the time of day seems to matter. After 10:00am everyone turns into a jerk... but before that there is a noticeable difference. Also, winter everyone keeps quiet, sorta like, the worst the enviorement is the more people assume something bad is going to happen...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
It's weird how people's mindset will differ for each situation they find themselves in. For instance, back when I was in high school, I went to Disneyland with my family. We live about 4 hours away from Disneyland. While we were there, I saw a fellow student. At school, I had only seen this person walking around campus, and had never said a word to them. They were just another face I saw each day. But, when I saw them at Disneyland, I was like, "Hey, I know that person!"

I think it's kind of the same thing with being on the trail. When you see someone, although they are a complete stranger, you feel a certain comradery because you are both in the same somewhat unique situation.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

sidewalk usually = business
trail usually = pleasure

you also have to take into consideration the type of people that would ever step foot on a trail in the first place...usually friendlier people.

I also think the surrounding environment has a LOT to do with human behavior. surrounded by trees and nature...it is slower, calmer, quieter, and over all the human sense aren't overloaded.

Sidewalks are usually in much busier locations with a lot of sensory stimulation. Things are faster, louder, and more abrupt...more things going on more brain power spent on taking it all in.

To be honest people walking on busy sidewalks probably don't even know you are there...they are worried about making the next walk light in time, avoiding the homeless on the corner, watching for vehicles, processing horns, sirens, threats and dangers...

MUCH MUCH less hectic on a trail...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Because the streets are mobbed if I said hi to everyone Id never get anywhere, but walking past the odd person on a walk it almost rude not to say hi.

The real question is if you were going to start saying hi to people in the street which ones would you talk to and which ones would you ignore?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
May I suggest it is because of the absence of electromagnetic fields?
I have long had a theory all the signals and electricity of modern civilization are stressful.
Out in the woods you feel so calm.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I feel ya, I grew up next to Gary Indiana. You just don't say Hi to people.

I went on a trip to Tennessee, and went up Roan mountain. It's on the Eastern side. Beautiful place, you go through like 3 states as you walk up this mountain. The first person who said hi to me, I freaked, got up next to my uncle, and asked him why he said hi to me, he laughed, and told me everyone says hi down here.

Just thought I'd share. I guess it's all on how you are raised.
edit on 7-2-2013 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

I would have to agree.
And conqure.
Very well put.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Maybe it just depends where you live.I live in a small town,so there's always a lot of smiles,waves,hi's+byes,often even if you know the person only from sight,or not at all.Often when driving,folks wave or greet us,and nor me nor the hubby know em from a bar of soap.Its just that way here.Ive had chats with people i dont even know the name of,just familiar faces.If i had to live in a big city,i expect i would hardly ever leave the house,and on the street i wouldnt make eye contact,leave alone anything else.A bit risky,among thousands and millions.One can't blame cityfolk,so many whackjobs out there.I'd have all my time keeping situational awareness,assessing my immediate surroundings,etc.I gather a lot of people feel the same,its not necessarily unfriendliness.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
In France, people say "bonjour" to everyone they pass or come across, unless you are on a very crowded sidewalk- then there is just too many to acknowledge! When a verbal greeting isn't used, it is important to at least make eye contact with as many as possible, just to make it clear you see them and acknowledge their presence. That is what considered respectful.

I am very uncomfortable with this. I grew up in LA, in which the close proximity of so many means we make effort to provide a sense of privacy and anonymity to each other, out of respect. We make sure not to look at strangers around us. Maybe it is just born of the high number of celebrities around.... but I think that might be common in any big city?

But as someone who hikes and rides horses out on trails, I feel it is important to say something because people can feel quite vulnerable out there in nature, and need some reassurance that you are friendly and good willed.

edit on 7-2-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join