It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Everyone Gets a Trophy" Generation has Grown up...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

While I see what you are aiming at, I must admit having the power of a quad-core 1400 MHz CPU with 1GB RAM and a full fledged Linux Operating System in the palm of my hands *does* tend to steal my focus at times. Especially because I am an information junkie. for me, my phone is an information device that does make things possinle I would have dreamt of only 20 years ago.

I have almost live access to NASA satellite data, seeing Images and data from the sun and earth in real time. I can access any kind of information at any time, and can communicate with every living being on this planet just by tapping my finger gently on an animated screen.

200 years back people would have called me a demi-god.

I'm fully with you though when it comes to "social" stuff. Facebook, Twitter, all these various networks .. you will not find that on my phone. Never had an account with any of the mentioned services, and I have no desire at all to keep the public informed about my every moves. But for some people attention is what information is for me. With the difference that they don't care if the attention is faked.

I wouldn't go so far and walk around with it while looking at it, though.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I do not believe there is any "Everybody Gets A Trophy" generation and this is a media buzzword topic meant to be another wedge between the American People and something for talking heads to rant about.

I grew up in the Seventies and I knew many kids who were treated that everything they did was great and everyone was a winner no matter what and others that ate a reality sandwich every day. I also knew lots of older people complaining how the kids of that age were lazy and felt entitled.

Same kids, different decade.

Same old people saying the generation after them are underserving and spoiled.

I have worked with many kids as a food service manager for 10 years and many have been selfish, inconsiderate and lazy while others worked hard and had a great work ethic. Seems about the same as when I was in my twenties as it is today.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdocpublishing
I do not believe there is any "Everybody Gets A Trophy" generation and this is a media buzzword topic meant to be another wedge between the American People and something for talking heads to rant about.

I thought I just made the EGAT Generation up....I had no idea it was a media buzzword.

I grew up in the Seventies and I knew many kids who were treated that everything they did was great and everyone was a winner no matter what and others that ate a reality sandwich every day. I also knew lots of older people complaining how the kids of that age were lazy and felt entitled.

I did too...We survived the long hair and that soulless Rock & Roll

Same kids, different decade.

I agree with that...We did not have the same "Social Media".

Same old people saying the generation after them are underserving and spoiled.

Never said anything like that...I said some are using technology to create a false reality.

I have worked with many kids as a food service manager for 10 years and many have been selfish, inconsiderate and lazy while others worked hard and had a great work ethic. Seems about the same as when I was in my twenties as it is today.

I have spent my entire life working with kids...Something is changing.

Now you young whippersnapper's get off my lawn...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Oh no!! Its happening to you too!!

whyamIhere, its not a real lawn, its all just digitized. This internet lawn you speak of is NOT REAL. Repeat after me:

"Its just 1s and 0s. Its just 1s and 0s."

In advance, you are very welcome!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam

Oh no!! Its happening to you too!!

whyamIhere, its not a real lawn, its all just digitized. This internet lawn you speak of is NOT REAL. Repeat after me:

"Its just 1s and 0s. Its just 1s and 0s."

In advance, you are very welcome!

Perfect example....

That's why I can't find my lawn mower...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

That's why I can't find my lawn mower...

Actually, that was one of the primary missions of my spec ops division made up of digital lawn gnomes. They can be an unruly bunch though, are you missing some socks and perhaps even a little dignity? They really like to take those, even if it is against strict orders. If so, please relate that to me so that I may carry out a digital court martial for the subjects involved.

I will tell them thusly:

010001000110111101101110011101000010000001100100011011110010000001110100011010000110000101110100

And a thorough lashing will be involved. Even though its a tiny whip, proportionately, it is the same.
edit on 7-2-2013 by Serdgiam because: Ill stop now
sometimes I cant help myself!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think getting away from the whole "competition" crap is a good thing. I'm not a fan of the whole "me vs. the world" mentality.

However, I think the "participation trophy" isn't the right way to go, either. Why even have a trophy at all? Why isn't participating its own reward? Why does there have to be some other tangible measure? Also, why try to be better than someone else? You aren't them, you didn't grow up the way they did, go through the same life experiences, struggles, etc. so why even compare?

I don't get this obsession with needing to be better than others. Like there's only room for one at the top. It's only a pyramid because we MAKE it a pyramid. It's like looking at the X and Y dimensions and completely forgetting that there's a Z dimension, too.

We take it too far, so much of our culture revolves around this "there can only be one" mentality. "Who do you like better, this pop singer or that one?" Who cares, there's room for both of them on the radio. "You can't cheat in a video game, it's not fair to the other players." Who cares, it's a freaking video game, it's not even real! "Are you a Republican or a Democrat?" Well, depending on the issue I can be one or the other. "No, you can't be both, you have to choose." No, YOU have to choose, because you put that on yourself. I don't.

Oh and God help you if you claim to be both a 49ers AND a Raiders fan! You want to short-circuit someone's brain, tell them that!

I think the healthier thing to do is to be in competition with oneself. For example, I want to strive to be better tomorrow than I was yesterday. But I just don't see the point in trying to be better than someone else.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I don't understand the militant need to win at the particular thing being competed in..?

If you didn't win, find something else to compete in which you:

a) Enjoy anyway, and/or:

b) Are good at, so that you are more likely to win..!!

My son as an example, was a bit gutted when he realised he wasn't very good at soccer & couldn't play with his best friend during recess, who is a very good little player for an eight yr old.

My solution? We can practice soccer, but in the meantime, have you noticed how good you are at:

a) Science
b) Maths
c) Creative Writing
d) Drama
e) Strategy games
f) Being a leader

???

He was quite pleased on reflection, and has clarified a few ambitions, resolved his perspective on what is most important in life. He's looking forward to getting some soccer practice during the summer, after I've recovered from surgery to fix my back (which is why we couldn't practice together in the first instance..) - but he knows now that you don't have to be good at everything, to be very, very good at a few things.

Everyone gets a trophy? How about we start guiding our kids according to their own skills and interests, and not according to our own preconceived notions of what is virtuous or 'cool'... Trouble is, our education system here in the UK is still pretty focused on the EGAT principle, (and a load more besides - such as health & safety idiocy) - holding the academic kids back, academically, so that the less academic don't feel unhappy about their own lack of academic progress.

It's time we started recognising the virtue of skilled trade-craft once again in the UK, encouraging less academic kids to be more skills-oriented, so they can be ambitious in the sense of becoming 'master of a trade', self-employed & creating their own opportunities - instead of drifting along, depressed because they weren't so great at exams, ending up as warehouse/ factory/ welfare fodder... Sadly a lot of 'practically-capable & bright-minded' kids will end up as such under/unemployed adults, simply because education isn't prepared to receive & develop them according to their needs, interests or intellectual 'type'.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Very good post, enjoyed reading your perspective - it made me think..

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Here's another good example of the EGAT generation. This girl is so deluded by her "self esteem", it's just bizarre.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

Enjoyed reading your perspective.

My only reply to your logic might be something like...

2nd place does not get you that job or promotion.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This is how I feel as a 22 year old(birthday was yesterday) who immigrated here in 1997 right now; I feel as though my generation has it harder than the last generation, and that one had it harder than the previous etc. as time moves forward opportunities get smaller and smaller, and things get more and more difficult. This is due to the system we have in place that funnels wealth and opportunities to a select few. The longer this system is kept alive, the more powerful a select few people grow, the harder it gets on regular folks. I just don't know what tomorrow will bring anymore, and it's gotten far easier to be pessimistic than optimistic with the knowledge I keep surrounding myself with. To think, I frequent a website that talks about conspiracy theories centering around manipulation of the masses, that reminds me how little control I have over my world and how much others above me put me down. I find enjoyment in actively participating in these talks that lead me no where, we all echo the same message here but none of us really do anything about it. How can we though? This is what we know, but we've learned to hate it, so we live in despair, that's my world right now at least.

Just to think, a retired man I know used to be a police officer, and needed no post high school graduate education, he worked as a police officer and retired in his 60's and enjoys great benefits. To do what he does now in IL requires a criminal justice degree, passing several exams, and participating in continuing education programs throughout the career. It's absolutely sickening the way things are going, there needs to be some serious change because at this rate education requirements will be a masters, and eventually a doctorates to be a damn police officer which is ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I grew up being told 2nd place is the first loser.

That a B is damn sure no A+

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with competition or winning. Winning doesn't mean you're better than someone else, it means you're better at a specific thing than someone else. Winners are rewarded for the work it took to reach that level of skill. Those who don't win have a chance to do better or to realize it's not their thing and try something else. It's not wining or losing that's the problem, it's how winning and losing are perceived that's the problem. How often I've heard someone talking badly about an olympic athlete for "only winning bronze" like it's a shameful thing. Perception.

If there is no win/lose, we can only hope to achieve an even level of mediocrity because the brass ring is held down so all can reach it. We need to encourage people to try to rise above and grab it.

As far as the egats, I dont know. I deal with a lot of college kids who think the rules shouldn't apply to them. Very entitled attitudes. Demanding respect and adult treatment but when they don't get what they want, they call their parents to get it for them. Unfortunately most of the time the parents do it instead of making them take their lumps.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Wait...

I didn't get a trophy!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I turned 19 in December, so I suppose I would be in your trophy generation..

Sure, I look around and think there are many self absorbed, superficial people though I also see many many hard working, inspiring and ambitious people around me in my peer group.

Older people just like to complain about the younger generation, it's always been that way.

You are just jealous that we have better technoology from an early age than you ever had
... Just like I will be of my kids/grandkids one day

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Example of an EGAT looking for a job....

That was hilarious...

Also, right on topic.

"I have a degree in it" - their problem is they don't realise their degrees are worthless.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Simply, if everyone's a winner, then 'Winner' has no value in the context of actual competition. And what is the reason for competition? To identify the Achievers from those who are simply average. With no need to compete, it becomes a bountiful world of non-achievers. We are seeing that come to fruition. A world of pretend achievement.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by e118882
Wait...

I didn't get a trophy!

I'm very sorry...

You are "Special" and you deserve your trophy.

How insensitive could I have been.

Here's your trophy...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

To be fair, a lot of people aren't destined to be super-duper high flyers, and many people need to be taken to a place (by the education system) wherein they are content in their occupation - too much pressure to become a chief and the indians lose their sense of worth. Besides, there can be no chiefs without loyal indians - and sometimes, being in indian is just fine; for example - they get to chill out by the campfire, while the chief's up until midnight, sweating over the neighbouring tribe's activities and wondering whether he'll be going to war tomorrow/ next week/ next month/ next year... Indians just grab the weapons and go when the time comes.

Secondly, I did state that if not be the best at a particular thing, a person should figure out what they are good at/ what they enjoy, and work on becoming excellent in that field. So my logic isn't flawed, it's more about a holistic approach to building an inclusive society based upon realistic and achievable goals, according to a unique individual's personal capacity to achieve in-line with what interests them/ what they are good at.

Not everyone can be a high-flying sports star; not everyone can be a highly skilled neurosurgeon. However, not everyone can be a master carpenter, and neither can everyone be a highly sought-after landscape gardener.

Horses for courses... Work-life balance, contentment & personal capability fulfilled. Job done, rest in peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join