It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Everyone Gets a Trophy" Generation has Grown up...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
reply to post by whyamIhere

A trained ape is overqualified for that kind of work. Someone with full possession of a functioning mind has no place slaving away at a cash register for a pittance. The only reason things like gas station attendant and retail worker haven't been replaced by machines is because government subsidies make slaves cheaper.

Where do you think you are going to start...CEO?

If you do not want that type of job. It takes hard work.

You do not get to be CEO just by showing up.

But, here's your trophy...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Since this is such a classic, this generational IDing... I asked one who lived through the Depression:
"Where and when did everyone go wrong?"

They said when you have nothing, you learn that life is about the relationships with others.
Then WWII came, and we've all been told who won.

Post-war, an invigorated, victoriousness swept the Americas. We won: prosperity for all.
An ever-burgeoning economy and gadgets of all sorts, were fed to everyone, (see Ben Bernays), for the good of their families.

They were lied to, and some bought in to the myth.
But who wouldn't want the best, for their families.

They got the fair-paying jobs, had the white-picket fences, life was good, for the good of their families.
Not to sugar-coat it too much, but check with your grandparents and further if you can...

The last downfall said they, is 2 words:
credit card.

edit on 7-2-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: wrong dude

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
the problem with excellence/value is its contextual...
the problem with context is its relative...

universal excellence is an ego driven illusion to fight off insecurity, uncertainty, etc...

we are all equally amazing and all equally worthless...it depends on the context in which excellence/worthlessness is measured and the context depends on what you are relating it to...

Steven Hawking is a worthless swimmer but amazing physicist...and Michael Phelps is a worthless physicist but amazing swimmer...do they both get trophies or do neither get trophies?

depends...on...the...context.

edit on 7-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one
the problem with excellence/value is its contextual...
the problem with context is its relative...

universal excellence is an ego driven illusion to fight off insecurity, uncertainty, etc...

we are all equally amazing and all equally worthless...it depends on the context in which excellence/worthlessness is measured and the context depends on what you are relating it to...

Steven Hawking is a worthless swimmer but amazing physicist...and Michael Phelps is a worthless physicist but amazing swimmer...do they both get trophies or do neither get trophies?

depends...on...the...context.

edit on 7-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

Very nice addition to the thread...

So if all 300 kids in the league receive the same trophy.

Wins and losses has nothing to do with it.

We were just trying to create the image that all the kids were great?

I hope I got that right. It certainly is something I have never considered.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
OP has wrinkles and age spots.

And is angry he still doesn't have a trophy to this day.

edit on 7-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Now we've learned that the trophies only go to those who cheat.

The very rich bankrupted America and didn't serve a day in jail. We picked up the tab for that. Talk about government subsidizing bad behavior.

What's the motivation to succeed when the people at the top are corrupt?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Everyone gets a trophy is better than only one gets one. Or one team out of a league. Fierce competition to be the "best" only teaches us to fight one another instead of working together.

These kids aren't old enough to run the country yet. We shall see. But I like the idea of not challenging everyone to fight each other. Everyone gets a trophy is better than "there can be only one". Not every one is so strong and driven to win. This change will foster more equality I think.

Isn't that what we're supposed to do... treat everyone equally?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
A thought occurs to me, you blame the children who were subjected
to a child hood like the one your describe as though they were the
ones who were handing out said trophies...... i would be looking to
the other side of the trophy for at least most of the blame......
edit on 7-2-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
]
edit on 7-2-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Every generation looks towards the future/past with a general idea of what made them great (or inane). Your post doesn't mean the world won't continue to spin, and progress (or regress in some aspects). People like to hate on the baby boomers; people like to hate on the young generation. Generalizing in either respect only creates more of what we don't need -- division.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Originally posted by votan

Not sure what you are talking about. I returned to school recently and the amount of people in engineering now a days is pretty astounding. Especially the amount of women now involved in engineering. Back when i was an undergrad it was mostly nerdy guys.

I am very impressed at how motivated and talented many are. They not only think they are special but they act and perform like they are.

Sounds to me like you are bitter old fogeee.

edit on 6-2-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

Sigh......Couldn't resist the name calling?

I am specifically not talking about young people in Institutions of higher learning.

I am concerned more with High School and younger on Social Media.

When you use technology to create an alternate reality it concerns me.

I am proud of you for bettering yourself. It takes lots of hard work doesn't it?

That's my point....It takes hard work to get what you want.

I believe this is what we should be instilling in these kids.

Not just show up and everyone gets a trophy.

See how many words I typed without calling you names?

I returned to get a different degree i got tired of EE. Money is good Job is fun but meh. It is easier the second time around, I have better time management.

Your initial post seemed like you were generalizing about all youth. I see you are back pedaling now.

It seems to me it is okay for you to label a group of youths as EGAT Generation.

BUT it is not okay for me to label you a Bitter Old Fogee.

Do not dish out labels if you cannot take one yourself buddy.

That nice picture you posted. I see people walk out of work downtown 40-50 somethings all looking at their smartphones as they walk out to their cars. that behavior is not exclusive to youths.

It is very annoying when people start slamming some younger generation. your generation probably got slammed quite a bit too. Maybe that criticism has made you bitter.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by whyamIhere

My point is, out of their 500+ so called "Friends" on their phone.

How many of those people could they call if they had a flat tire?

Actually I think your above point ties into the point I am trying to make; which is; how many of those 500+ (so-called friends) are just pretenders, predators with evil intentions and hidden agenda's; trying to lure these young people into a (false sense of friendship and security) in order to use and possibly destroy them.

Not many I would venture to say.
Most people collect points the same way they collect say, golden rings in a video game (or other random collecting things). Its a game...none of them are actually friends..they just want a high number on their friend count.

Sure, some jacktards are there trying to be all creepy..but meh, you get that going to the grocery store also.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I'll assume that you're either a) a boomer, or b) a generation x'er

When the boomers were growing up, many of my peers stated that they would be the end of the line, that the whole bloody world would fall down around us. I thought differently, as this whole "the next generation will be the ruin of us", is nothing short of a complete fallacy. It has been the common line of thought by every generation in power from the Romantic era, to this very day.

Personally, I believe every generation reaches the peak of stupidity when they're around the age of 30-50, want to know why?

They look at the younger generation and mock the idiosyncrasies and irresponsibility of youth, and back at the previous generations and view them as senile troglodytes. Completely failing to learn anything of value from the unique outlook on life they can both provide.

What folk in the middle of their lives fail to realize, is that they are the most arrogant and unenlightened of them all, you seem to forget that even though it's your time for now, that time will pass very quickly, I know this all too well. Then your generation will be put out to pasture (like mine), and the younger folk will start saying something almost identical to what you're espousing this very moment.

When our young people of today start families and their children reach young adulthood, the so-called "Trophy Generation" will probably say something to the effect of; "Look at these young punks, they're worthless and will never accomplish anything because, (Insert arbitrary generational idiosyncrasy here)".

It's a rotten cycle, and anyone who holds disdain for the young people of yesteryear, today, or the future is supporting it
edit on 7-2-2013 by TurtleSmacker because: Clarification

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf

A trained ape is overqualified for that kind of work. Someone with full possession of a functioning mind has no place slaving away at a cash register for a pittance. The only reason things like gas station attendant and retail worker haven't been replaced by machines is because government subsidies make slaves cheaper.

Some people work to live not the other way around, I do a job you may say a trained ape could do, but it is still an important job.
We are all cogs in the wheel and without these people who do those jobs society would crumble.
Stop being an elitist spoilt child and the world may treat you like a grownup, calling people stupid for doing a job you wouldn't do....I weep for the future.
edit on 7-2-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
It really has nothing to do with generations. It has more to do with the governments policy of indoctrination instead of education. The Liberal "feel good" policies of a trophy for every child, every other child has ADHD,
and education based on standardized tests. It does not effect every child. Parents play a big role if they are around.

BTW, your generation will get the blame for the effects of the zero telerance policies being put in place today. They will be horrendous without a doubt. A child can't even draw a picture of a gun without being kicked out of school. They can't say the word gun. They can't play war games with their friends at recess. What are you doing to stop that? What can you do to stop that? NOTHING!!!!

Welcome to reality!!
edit on 7-2-2013 by jimmiec because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The EGAT approach had good intentions. The problem was not with making children believe they were all special (which they are) it was giving them this mindset and then sending them out to the wolves, i.e. the real dog eat dog competitive world. We first need a world that operates with cooperation and the pursuit of excellence is the main driver, not competition and individual gain.

The mentality that capitalism is based upon where the best results are achieved if everyone tries to get the most profit for themselves is flawed.

Just look at the two biggest creations of this new generation. Facebook and Google, they were not created for individual profit and gain but they were created by students wanting to contribute to their world and make a difference. But the old world bosses were still in charge so they have been taken over by them as soon as the saw the potential for $profit$

When the organisations of our world and society all change to have this new EGAT mentality then we will all move together unified in diversity. Wanting to do good, innovate, invent, work hard because it is a good thing to do, not because it makes profit. When you organise every social institution as a context what you are doing by design are serving only the interests of the most powerful segments of society.

Unfortunately we are not there yet so the new bright eyed and bushy tailed EGAT graduates are finding it pretty tough out there. They will be looking after us one day when we are old. Lets hope they are not motivated by profit alone!

I leave you with these two videos to explain what I was saying much more clearly.

The Royal Societys animation - The Empathic Civilisation

And a TED talk about moving beyond a culture of competition.
Beyond the Culture of Contest: Michael Karlberg at TEDxInnsbruck

edit on 7-2-2013 by MrSpiderMonkey because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Yes, agreed, but they will hopefully help shape a new world and create organisations and institutions that favor this way of thinking. Right now the poor little mites are the pioneers for this new way and are finding it tough, but they will prevail for the good of the human family.

For the older generations who don't get why the EGAT approach was implemented they will soon grow older and die off and they will become a relic of the past, hopefully along with mindless wars, world hunger, financial corruption and fat cats. Lets be brave and try and create a better future and not just cling on to the status quo.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpiderMonkey

Where you got the idea that Facebook and Google were not created for profit is beyond me. They were created specifically for profit and made the inventors of both very wealthy. They continue to do so. Those popup ads are for profit. Facebook has not changed ownership. He continues to try to increase his profits.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

It is very annoying when people start slamming some younger generation. your generation probably got slammed quite a bit too. Maybe that criticism has made you bitter.
reply to post by votan

You Mad Bro ?

I am pointing out what I see as a dangerous alternative reality.

As another poster pointed out some collect "Friends" like it's a video game.

I am not back pedaling from anything. The picture really was an afterthought.

However, I see you are still unable to have a discussion without name calling.

You seem to be the only one on this thread that can't comprehend my point.

You Mad Bro?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

The motivation to create them in the first place was not for profit. They were created by students at University to create an impact on their society or as part of their research not to make as much money as possible. Now you can be damm sure that is not the case. But the initial motivation was not profit

Larry Page and co-founder Sergey Brin started Google while at Stanford working on their PhD's. When the company grew too big to be run from their dorm rooms, the founders made a pitch to a computer science professor who wrote them a $100,000 check on the spot.

ecorner.stanford.edu...

Zuckerberg expanded on this initial project that semester by creating a social study tool ahead of an art history final. He uploaded 500 Augustan images to a website, with one image per page along with a comment section.[6] He opened the site up to his classmates and people started sharing their notes. "The professor said it had the best grades of any final he’d ever given. This was my first social hack. With Facebook, I wanted to make something that would make Harvard more open," Zuckerberg said in a TechCrunch interview.

en.wikipedia.org...

Only when they realized they were on to something did the commercialization come into play.

"..but the hearts of men are easily corrupted" Tolkien

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join