It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the AR15 was not designed as nor ever was a assault weapon.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The BIG lie by the ANTIGUN people is that AR stands for assault rifle and that the AR is a military assault weapon.

AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle.
www.britannica.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
Some of the first were the AR5 and the AR7 and they were by no means a assault weapon.

But they were military weapons as it was used as a pilot survival rifles by the military.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
Armalite never sold any of the AR15s for Military USE.
As the military had it converted by Colt to the M16. the AR15 was/is not a assault weapon.
en.wikipedia.org...

This means that if someone tries to tell you that the AR15 is a assault weapon you can bust there chops and correct them.
And case of the government rewriting history to ban a weapon.
edit on 6-2-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Yeah, when I think assault rifle I think M-249 SAW, BAR, RPK, and other full auto weapons that you would use to base a fire so that your maneuver element can move into better position to engage. The modern usage of assault weapons is really a political term invented shortly before the '94 AWB. It's simply a scary term used to frighten and demonize a particular weapon. If they are able to pass a new AWB, my prediction is that shortly thereafter they will start referring to normal scoped hunting rifles suitable for big game as "sniper rifles".

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Can you explain the difference between a "Assault Weapon" and a AR type weapon.

What constitutes Assault?

I am a relative laymen when it comes to firearms. Perhaps clearer definition would help the issue.

Second question; Technically cant any firearm be used for military purposes?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by ANNED

two words "full auto!!!"

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
There's no such thing as an assault weapon.
Assault is a behavior not a thing.
If I assault you with a hammer does it become an assault hammer?
This kind of crap is ridiculous terminology that makes no sense.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by ANNED

two words "full auto!!!"

Sniper rifles are used in the military and they are not full auto, are they not considered Assault weapons?

Please forgive my semantic based position, but I feel that the confusion is over meaning.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Depends on what you are assaulting i suppose...I'm pretty sure the SAS/Navy Seals etc could put a AR15 to good use..
Who cares what it say's on the box, it's still a WMD whatever way you try and butter it up...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

yea we should call them snuggle weapons or maybe cuddle rifles.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

What defines a sniper rifle?

Its the same thing as an 'assault' rifle. The rifle itself does not make you a sniper. One long running weapon used by snipers in the Army and Marine Corps is the Remington 700 chambered in . 308. It is also one of the most popular hunting rifles in the world.

There's no such thing as a 'sniper rifle' anymore than there is such a thing as an 'assault' weapon.
edit on 6-2-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FuturePeace

yea we should call them snuggle weapons or maybe cuddle rifles.

Hyperbole and dismissing and lazy attempts to subvert the discussion won't go very far with me.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
Depends on what you are assaulting i suppose...I'm pretty sure the SAS/Navy Seals etc could put a AR15 to good use..
Who cares what it say's on the box, it's still a WMD whatever way you try and butter it up...

And here is more hyperbole.

What makes any small arms a WMD?

The 5.56mm round the AR fires is not too dissimilar(except for chamber pressures) than the .223 round fired from a semi auto ruger ranch rifle.

Explosive devices like nukes, chemical weapons like sarin,and small pox weaponization are WMD. AR 15s aren't even the most power arms a typical gun owner can have.

You ever fire a standard deer rifle? Far more powerful and deadly than any AR on the market.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

What ANNED said full auto.

Yes any weapon could be used for military purposes, but is that its best use.

Take a civilian model AR-15 and its military counterpart the M16/M4. They look almost identical, you can hang most of the same stuff off of them (scopes, laser sights, night vision, etc), and they fire the same ammunition.

The M16/4 have either 3 round burst or full auto fire selection modes lacking in the AR.

The M16 is much more suited for conducting offensive operations against a defended position than the AR. You would use the full auto fire to suppress defenders while other elements of your squad/platoon moved into a better position, then once they took there position they would build a base of fire while you maneuvered to a better position. Aside from suppressive fire full auto fire is most useful in trench clearing and against a group of tightly packed enemies, and the only time you are likely to see that is in an ambush.

The round that is fired by the AR or M16 is much smaller than the round fired by common rifles used for deer hunting. When you hear screechers in the MSM talking about the power of the .223 can you imagine what they'll be saying if they get their way with an AWB when someone commits a crime with something like a .308 which is a very common round for hunting and like the .223 is nearly identical to the military 5.56mm, the .308 is almost identical to the NATO 7.62 used in machine guns like the M240 and also the rifles that sniper/designated marksmen use.

edit on 6-2-2013 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Wow lighten up my man....so serious....

but really its Defined by the Gov they can put what ever label they want on certain guns to influence law or what ever Act they want to implement. There no real fair definition imo. just a lot of politics, flash suppressor, grenade launcher, scope? its a Semantics Vortex

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FuturePeace

It is carefully crafted semantics.

This semantics are used to violate rights and, in the end, to ensure the disarmament of the people.

ETA

As you no doubt may be aware, the subject of arms is a very serious topic for me. I have spent years researching, testing, and training. I take what I do seriously.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FuturePeace

The semantics vortex you speak of is intentional. It is there to confuse those without familiarity with weapons, and to obscure the ultimate goal--Disarming the American People.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Not to mention an AR 15 lower will not accept an autosear permanently making the gun a semi auto firearm.
The M16 lower is slighly different.
Many people do not know this fact.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by MDDoxs

What defines a sniper rifle?

Its the same thing as an 'assault' rifle. The rifle itself does not make you a sniper. One long running weapon used by snipers in the Army and Marine Corps is the Remington 700 chambered in . 308. It is also one of the most popular hunting rifles in the world.

There's no such thing as a 'sniper rifle' anymore than there is such a thing as an 'assault' weapon.

You must understand that many kids who grew up playing video games believe that any gun with a scope is a "sniper rifle", me, I call em ALL a "hunting rifle".
However there are alot of hunting rifles I would not want to drag through the bush and try to snipe with.
The Rem 700 however I will allow the designation "sniper" as it has proven itself in more than one theatre.

(Edit)

Hey now, back up a step Bro.
I think I am gonna use that.
I will make a stencil and put it on my buttstock, "cuddle rifle"!!
I feel warm and fuzzy already!
Who would ever admit to being assaulted by a "cuddle rifle"??

edit on 6-2-2013 by g146541 because: "Cuddle Rifle 15"

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Yeah but the rifle itself didn't go through sniper school.

The Rem700 is more commonly used for hunting than sniper oriented operations.
Besides the armed forces are moving away from bolt action rifles. Semi-auto rifles are taking headway as a sniper choice these days.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Please understand, I dont qualify myself to comment on the US Gun debate and take an actual side. (Canadian).

I just asking objective questions, I could say I am not biased, though that would not be whole heartedly true as I have rarely had fire arms in or around my life. Except for the one time way far up north with a .22 rifle shooting beer bottles.

I hope to spur on discussion regarding the definition of these terms. I think i have succeeded thus far, thank you all for the replies.

Some of the replies to my comments have been spot on.

edit on 6-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

And here is more hyperbole.

What makes any small arms a WMD?

What makes any small arms WMD,?????
When someone decides to stick a clip in it, aims and pulls the trigger into a crowd of people until it's empty then reload and continue....

I dont get the argument that because it doesn't fire "full auto" it's not a dangerous weapon or maybe not as dangerous as a full auto weapon...both weapons are just as deadly as the other in the wrong hands and i dont think you can separate one from the other by a switch that say's A.......

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join