It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the AR15 was not designed as nor ever was a assault weapon.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Wanton killing by criminals and psychos does not describe the function of the weapon.

Hyperbole and mislabeling only serves to disinform people.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Assault Rifle

An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between automatic, semi-automatic, and burst fire) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine,

The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", "storm" as in "military attack"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler

However not to be confused with the American legal definition of an "Assault Weapon"

Pretty easy to find definitions on what words and phrases mean.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol

Originally posted by projectvxn

And here is more hyperbole.

What makes any small arms a WMD?

edit on 6-2-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

What makes any small arms WMD,?????
When someone decides to stick a clip in it, aims and pulls the trigger into a crowd of people until it's empty then reload and continue....

I dont get the argument that because it doesn't fire "full auto" it's not a dangerous weapon or maybe not as dangerous as a full auto weapon...both weapons are just as deadly as the other in the wrong hands and i dont think you can separate one from the other by a switch that say's A.......

A wmd will kill multitudes with one push of a button, several trigger motions would be needed for a semi auto weapon to do the same with a much greater response time involved, 99 percent of guns are not wmd's.
First off if you stick a clip in the weapon, we are talking about 8 to 10 rounds.
What we are referring to are box fed magazine style weaponry, modern arms.
I will make an educated guess that you do not know much about firearms as your terminology is lacking, this disqualifies you from this subject as an "expert" or even an opinion.
If you aim any weapon full or semi into a crowd, they will both do damage.
But to think a semi auto weapon would be just as easy is silly at best!
I can prove this to you!!!
Try this
Get a 5Lb weight and tie a string to it.
Now tie said string to your finger.
Now place said finger over the edge of a counter leaving the weight to dangle off of the side.
Now do 100 finger curls with said weight, you will soon start to realize why full auto is worlds apart from semi auto.
I qualify as an expert as I have literally hundreds of hours of trigger time.
Also, no good guy has ever been harmed by any of my weapons.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Two tours of Northern Ireland qualifies me enough....

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Impressive, and you guys used clips in your weaponry.
I guess I have used 10 round clips to fill magazines but only on older weapons have I ever put a clip directly in the gun.
I might also point out that a policing action and full out shooting rampage/war are two wholly different animals.
Tell me, what color is the boathouse at.....
never mind.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

we called them mags..short for magazine....we also use GPMG's short for general purpose machine gun...clip is a American thing, i was just trying to fit in...sorry for the confusion.
...been there got the T-shirt..

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

What makes any small arms WMD,?????
When someone decides to stick a clip in it, aims and pulls the trigger into a crowd of people until it's empty then reload and continue....

I dont get the argument that because it doesn't fire "full auto" it's not a dangerous weapon or maybe not as dangerous as a full auto weapon...both weapons are just as deadly as the other in the wrong hands and i dont think you can separate one from the other by a switch that say's A.......

firstly, the selector on a military M4/M16 says "auto"..secondly, do you even know the definition of "WMD"? it stands for "Weapon of Mass Destruction"....last time i checked, the Military or civilian weapons based on the AR15 platform didn't shoot nuclear-tipped bullets that kill and destroy everything for miles around the points of impact...

nukes are WMD, Sarin, VX, and Chlorine gasses are WMD, Weaponized germs like Ebola, Anthrax, and Small Pox are WMD...small arms are not, never have been, and will probably never be weapons of mass destruction.

get your facts straight before you speak/type/write..

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

By and large most Americans call magazines clips, because that's what they see on TV. People with military and law enforcement experience usually call them magazines or mags like you, because they know the difference.But I'll be the first to admit that cultural influence is so strong that, despite my military experience, I sometimes catch myself using the term clip when magazine would be more correct, especially with someone who doesn't have a clue about firearms.
edit on 6-2-2013 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

What he said... ^^^

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

reply to post by g146541

we called them mags..short for magazine....we also use GPMG's short for general purpose machine gun...clip is a American thing, i was just trying to fit in...sorry for the confusion.
...been there got the T-shirt..

NO..."clip" is a term used by stupid people, those uneducated about firearms, "thug gangstas", and hollywood/network television. it is not an american thing, there are stupid people all over the world..

use the correct terms for things, who knows, you might educate someone, and do your part to "deny ignorance"

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

How about by and large uneducated Americans call them clips?
I generally do not hear anyone use the word clip except in its proper use when interacting with those in the field or sport.

Did you by chance try a weight yet and find out the difference between full auto and semi auto??

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

Fairynuff...i will never again call it a clip........Does it really matter what people call a magazine full of ammo..

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Fairynuff...i will never again call it a clip........Does it really matter what people call a magazine full of ammo..

in the grand scheme of things, no, not really...it is a trivial point of specificity, but it is ignorant to use the wrong words for things, ESPECIALLY when you KNOW the correct term...there's a reason they teach you english in primary school...

it's a pet peeve...but i've found its one i share with a great many people...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Over here we cal the TV Remote a "Doofer" a "Digeridoo" a "Thingy" whatever...no Biggy really..

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Notice that I didn't say military, law enforcement, and hunter in my previous post. I know plenty of people who have hunted their entire life and own handguns who use magazine and clip interchangeably. I even know a couple of enthusiasts who use the terms interchangeably. The only thing I've noticed that really breaks the cultural use of the terms is military or near military (like LEOs go through) training. Nothing like hearing a Drill Sergeant say "it's not a effing clip it's a magazine, private" to get you using the term they want you to use.

I kinda like the confusion, its a pretty good indicator if someone has had formal training by the term they use. I've been stopping by gun stores and pawn shops during my lunch or on the way to and from work a couple of times a week of late to see if the local reality matches what I'm seeing on the web. The guy at the pawn shop immediately pegged me as ex-military (even though I currently sport a pony tail and beard) by my asking him to price a couple of magazines for my pistol for me.

edit on 6-2-2013 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by jefwane

How about by and large uneducated Americans call them clips?
I generally do not hear anyone use the word clip except in its proper use when interacting with those in the field or sport.

Did you by chance try a weight yet and find out the difference between full auto and semi auto??

why would i want to...our SLR's were not full auto....but i could empty a mag in seconds reload and empty another mag...what's yer point..???

Ps...SLR's were good enough to assault mount Tumbledown mount Harriet and mount Loudon in the Falkland Islands....that for me blows yer theory of assault weapons out the window.

Yep, we the British have actually fought a war Mano a Mano, and a dirty war it was...

edit on 6-2-2013 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
There are multiple definitions for "assault rifle" depending on the context.

In the context of military weapons, history the assault rifle is any descendant of the original German WWII rifle, the Sturmgewehr 44 (StG 44), literally the "Storm Rifle".

Year Built: 1944-1945
Calibre: 7.92x33 mm
Load: 30 rounds / Magazine fed
Action: Semi / Fully-Automatic, Gas operated, Air Cooled
Rate of Fire: 500-600rpm
Weight: 5.2 kg

Still considered to be the first Assault Rifle it was a very effective weapon issued later in the war. Fortunately for the Allies, Hitler considered it to be "ugly" and blocked it from being manufactured in larger numbers as it was yet another German weapon which could have affected the outcome of the War had it been issued in larger numbers.
(Approximately 425,977 were built).

The characteristics which made it a superior weapon at that time were:
Easily changeable magazine which could hold 30 very lethal rounds, full auto capability with gas operated cycle and air cooling, pistol grip and light weight (compared to other weapons w/ similar capabilities).

Weapons with those same qualities / capabilities are considered to be "assault rifles" in this context which means the AR-15 has many of them but lacks full auto capability.

In the context of language, an assault rifle is defined as:

An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between automatic, semi-automatic, and burst fire) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine

So, once again because it lacks full auto and burst fire capability an AR-15 would not be an assault rifle in this context.

None of this matters, however because what does count is the context of mass media and the ATF (who get around this issue by calling them "semi-automatic assault weapons").

Assault Rifles according to CNN and the ATF, Obama, Feinstein, etc:

edit on 6-2-2013 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

An actual assault rifle is a rifle that is selective fire. A full auto rifle is not an assault rifle, nor is a semi auto. Assault rifles are selective fire meaning they can alternate between semi auto, 3 shot burst, and full out. It is necessary to be able to switch based on the circumstances.

The term comes from the StG44. A german weapon called a sturmgewehr which translates to storm or assault rifle.
en.wikipedia.org...

As the OP stated AR15's are not assault rifles nor does AR stand for assault rifle.
edit on 6-2-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I would disagree. See my above post.
You are correct that AR's are not assault rifles, but there are such things. Selective fire weapons that are capable of different settings to allow maximum efficiency in an assault. An assault on/in a structure would likely require a different setting than an assault on a town/at a distance.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It really angers me when people, our president included, call for a ban on "assault" weapons or "military" style weapons. Guess what they are already banned from the general public. Do you actually think our military or any other modern military is going to battle with SEMI auto rifles. It may look the part but that's it. Question... if I buy a kit car and put together a vehicle that has the body of a Corvette and then I install a 4 cylinder Honda civic engine then do I have a Corvette?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join