It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media turns blind eye to secret CIA drone base in Saudi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Media turns blind eye to secret CIA drone base in Saudi

www.washingtontimes.com

For two years, the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency has been quietly operating a base for unmanned drones in Saudi Arabia, according to various media reports.

U.S. media have been aware of its existence, but failed to report it, according to the BBC.

The New York Times said the base was built in December 2009 and the first time a drone was flown from there was September 2011, to kill radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki. Since, the BBC states, the CIA has reportedly been using the drones to hunt and kill “high-value targets in Yemen,” according to an unnamed U.S. official cited in the repo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Just another part of this new drone strike story. So now Saudi is letting us use their land to launch attacks? Am I missing something here? Why did we have to go to other countries after 9/11 but now they allow the CIA to launch drone strikes from their soil?

How much easier would it be for American Forces to fly into Iraq from Saudi instead of bases around the region? I mean we can fly through their airspace but not use it as a launching point I guess. Wonder why the change all the sudden?

Any thoughts?

www.washingtontimes.com

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Cash Rules Everything Around Me C.R.E.A.M -Wu Tang

If we aren't buying oil, we'll rent dat Launchpad.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Oh the Irony, Media Turns Blind Eye as reported by the Washington Times

edit on 6-2-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by boomer135

Just another part of this new drone strike story. So now Saudi is letting us use their land to launch attacks? Am I missing something here? Why did we have to go to other countries after 9/11 but now they allow the CIA to launch drone strikes from their soil?

How much easier would it be for American Forces to fly into Iraq from Saudi instead of bases around the region? I mean we can fly through their airspace but not use it as a launching point I guess. Wonder why the change all the sudden?

Any thoughts?

www.washingtontimes.com

To say that there was a change 'all of a sudden' is to operate under the premise that what the media was reporting about US-Saudi relations over the last decade was truth. If the USG built a drone base in Saudi, this deal existed before 2009.

My take: This has been going on since before 2009 and was under development when drones were still being tested before this widescale use we see now. Lately we've seen an uptick in protests against the drone war from the most affected regions. Protest signs particularly in Pakistan read "stop droning the muslim world" or "stop killing muslim babies USA".

What better way to TRY to get some more support (especially from the ever valuable US muslim organizations) for the drone strikes than to say "see, a 'muslim nation' supports it, and allows it to be carried out from within their borders.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It has been known that there has been a large American military presence in Saudi ever since the first Gulf War, so the presence of drones is not really a huge surprise.

I also find it ironic that the report is saying that the media have turned a blind eye yet it is being reported in the MSN.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This was on Good Morning America this morning too...

I was surprised they showed it though, along with the anonymous hack as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boomer135

?? Saudi is USA#2. Home away from home.

Of course Drones would be there.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
Cash Rules Everything Around Me C.R.E.A.M -Wu Tang

If we aren't buying oil, we'll rent dat Launchpad.

get tha money... dolla dolla bill ya'll.

RIP ODB

new topics

top topics

join