It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The illusion of a western culture

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Western civilisation is so blinded it started to think it has a culture.

it's culture is destroying all cultures. What is left? It's at the end. They may all die when you ask me..

Leave us so we can start over again.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
So thou have just had one of "those" moments, eh?
Who was it said, ah, oh never mind, some one else is sure to quote it.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Don't you dare try to.say the west doesn't have a culture. I was raised here my family were foreigners and we all love and appreciate Western culture and civilisation and its history . your trying on propaganda.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Is it really true you, it's weird to use these words in one sentence, especialy in this order... fear of being attacked by muslims cause uh,.... muslim law says do not kill..????

They may only kill (if they want to) somebody who started killing their own people. Him or they they may kill..

Is there a problem here? yea yea, I'm from the family of Siberia..

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
What is Western culture?

I think you mean American consumer culture and yes, I'm very much upset that it's killing off so many other cultures, or diluting them.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Absolute tripe...

For a start all western culture is actually many individual cultures, just like the many cultures that follow Islam.

I can say the exact same thing for Islamic nations systematically destroying other cultures and history, Islam is as we speak deleting ancient texts and historical sites, western cultures have not done this for a while.

I have a feeling your a muslim
That's no problem for me I talk to many muslims and fortunately nearly non of them speak the crap you have been doing on your threads
in fact one of them from Turkey is a forward thinking Muslim with a taste for wild boar... that he used to hunt in Turkey, trust me when I say they are big-ass pigs.

On the other hand I know a muslim from India who teaches "Awareness of Islam" to British people and he likes to spout out BS such as : "Being circumcised stops STD's... you cannot catch STD's when you have no foreskin"

So tell my why is the west so blind it thinks it has culture?

Personally If I was of Islamic faith I would not want people like you representing me, and if you hate the west that much don't speak in riddles just say it and move on, trolling the internet is a sad occupation

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angle
muslim law says do not kill..????

They may only kill (if they want to) somebody who started killing their own people. Him or they they may kill..

Is there a problem here? yea yea, I'm from the family of Siberia..

Really? Islamic Laws say they should not kill unless attacked first?

Did the Islamic invaders of the past simply ignore the laws or were these laws invented after Islamic invaders lost steam?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Western 'culture' is the "Mr.Smith" of this planet!

Interesting original post, I can agree though I think it should be elaborated on further a few points as to 1.how long this has been happening, from my perspective - at least since the Sumerians 2. the tactics used - mostly government and religion, with CONSTANT wars. I think those two main points, though answered by me with my opinion, anyone can get into further description with entire models that basically could prove this OP.

edit on 2/3/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
reply to post by Angle

Western 'culture' is the "Mr.Smith" of this planet!

Interesting original post, I can agree though I think it should be elaborated on further a few points as to 1.how long this has been happening, from my perspective - at least since the Sumerians 2. the tactics used - mostly government and religion, with CONSTANT wars. I think those two main points, though answered by me with my opinion, anyone can get into further description with entire models that basically could prove this OP.

edit on 2/3/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

Care to elaborate some more on this?
Not being a troll I am curious, by what do you mean that this has been since Sumerian times? and what exactly has been happening?

The OP was trying to say the west has no culture but yet says that western culture is destroying others, kind of contradicts himself.
Personally I do not see it as western culture that I feel he is portraying, It is a new age of reasoning and the world is catching on.... We in the west have advanced in this direction for morethan 200 years.
Other nations are getting on par for instance; China since 1911 and it's revolution yes the revolution destroyed some outdated culture but look at the new culture it created.... same could be said for Japan after WW2, It's still Japanese or Chinese culture is it not? albeit with Western Influences.

Western culture destroying others is a bit far because the term "the west" is a collective of many cultures all different from each other

Definition of culture

cul·ture

/ˈkəlCHər/

Noun
The arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

Verb
Maintain (tissue cells, bacteria, etc.) in conditions suitable for growth.

Synonyms

noun.
cultivation - civilization

verb.
cultivate - grow - raise
edit on 3-2-2013 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

Thank you for giving me insight in the western culture. That was really nice to read. Maybe I became trancy writing the OP and an indian spirit took me over.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot
What is Western culture?

I think you mean American consumer culture and yes, I'm very much upset that it's killing off so many other cultures, or diluting them.

I would say there is "western" culture, in that people of the western hemisphere have their own cultural identifiers. I think the problem is the OP isn't being specific about what he is discussing. I think you have hit the nail on the head with your statement and most likely articulated what the OP was attempting to discuss.

Mexican Americans for instance have a different culture than Anglo Americans yet, Anglo Americans take elements of their culture and sell it. Take for instance "Cinco De Mayo", not a holiday in Mexico at all , but for Mexican Americans generally a day to have a party (and have a lowrider supershow lol). Who does most of the partying now? Every bar does something on that day. I have even seen places hosting "Day of the Dead" parties (Dio de los muertos) stocked full of white people getting drunk. Is that wrong in and of itself? No, but taking days and customs which have a special meaning to a specific set of people and using it as a simple prop to sell things can be seen as offensive to that culture. I think that is why many people see "Western" culture as a predatory monster of sorts. It takes from others, loses meaning and exists merely to sell you things. It's like the Borg in some strange way, ever assimilating that which is before it.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot
What is Western culture?

So am I. It's not an easy thing to grow up thinking your Western culture is one thing only to find out its another, and to find the American dream turning into a nightmare.

I guess everything becomes its opposite, sooner or later. Think in opposites, right?

Angle, perhaps sometimes humanity has to have entire world cultures in opposites too.

edit on 3-2-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Wow

You really must be a troll, your not even bringing anything to your own thread.
I actually told you nothing of the collective of western cultures as it is a collective.

Is native american culture all one or does it have different aspects of art and belief from tribe to tribe?
Same can be said for many different groups we throw together, people of the ME, Asia, Europe, South America etc. Unless you feel the Rio carnival is celebrated throughout south america and all whites celebrate Thanks giving? then you would be wrong and obviously do not understand culture

Dammit why am I feeding you? you troll

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I agree totally

That itself is more down to consumerism. In England I see the same kind of thing every St Patricks Day, an Irish day of celebration yet if you go out in the town everyone is "dressed like paddy" and feels it's cool to drink Guiness. I don't fear for the beliefs and customs of the Irish though... it's not this that destroys culture but evolution that does, we evolve and old customs and beliefs get left behind because they are old fashioned

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

I was going to mention that day actually, but I thought better of being long winded lol. I actually won't wear green on that day even though it's my favorite color.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

I quite like my English culture, thank you .
Who are you to tell me I shouldnt?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LILY9

For I am the Loooooooord.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Cant be bothered!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by LILY9

I thought you were being like.. "'fingers in your ears', nènènènènè I can't hear you"?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Western culture does not exist. We are a melting pot of many cultures that cannot possibly blend. What we have done is to take what is considered the best of each culture and added them together, spoiling a huge part of our populations. We need to sit back and look at our direction and analyze the harm we are doing to others by our common practices. I don't want to be an elite, they are not my kind of people. Why do others of my kind want to be like them?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join