It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Russia's Intentions? Could this be the Beginning Stages of Superpower Conflict?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I just read this report on debka.com titled Russia slams Israeli attack on Syria. US forces in Jordan on alert and it states:

The Syrian announcement of an Israeli air strike on a military site near Damascus Wednesday, Jan. 30, drew strong condemnation from Moscow the next day: “Such action if confirmed would amount to unacceptable military interference in the war-ravaged country,” said the statement issued by the Russian Foreign Ministry Thursday. “If this information is confirmed, then we are dealing with unprovoked attacks on targets on the territory of a sovereign country, which blatantly violate the UN Charter and is unacceptable, no matter the motives to justify it.”

debkafile’s military sources say that the only external military force in the eastern Mediterranean region is a fleet of 18 Russian warships, which includes landing-craft – among the largest in the Russian Navy – with 2,000 marines aboard.

If you put that information together with the information we got a week and a half ago from reuters.com and their article titled Russia warns Israel, West against attack on Iran which states:

"Attempts to prepare and implement strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities and on its infrastructure as a whole are a very, very dangerous idea. We hope these ideas will not come to fruition," Lavrov said.

It seems that Russia has taken sides with both Iran and Syria. Could this be the case or are they actually attempting to defuse a touchy situation? They have stationed warships and landing craft just off the Israel and Syrian boarders and made a public statement in regards to further conflict. Beings that, at least at this point in time, the U.S. has Israels back, If Israel were to go against the Russian declaration and Russia were to follow through would this not push the U.S. into conflict with Russia and therefore beginning a war of Superpowers? Is this what Israel is truly shooting for?
edit on 2-2-2013 by Agarta because: added another link

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I don't know , but it will be interesting to see the replies on this!

S&F

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
add in what the Turkish FM said

Turkey does not know the precise details of the alleged attack, the foreign minister said, adding that if Israel were to attack any Muslim country, Turkey would respond, Hurriyet reported.
form this link www.haaretz.com... and then add in Iran, we are looking at the Battle of Armageddon, China is also in the picture as well as Pakistan. news.yahoo.com...
The question is now will we the west bug out and leave Israel to fight on here own?
edit on 2-2-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

This clown within %'s of being the POTUS.

Any Idea how Russian's felt hearing this?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

"Attempts to prepare and implement strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities and on its infrastructure as a whole are a very, very dangerous idea. We hope these ideas will not come to fruition," Lavrov s

If you read it again it is not so much a threat as a warning of what could become of the ME if this happened. Russia is NOT going to war for either of these countries. (just says its a dangerous idea). The ships and marines are there for nothing more than evacuation of Russian citizens imo. Also this is not the first attack on them without Russia stepping in. They have been making these statements for several months now.
edit on 2-2-2013 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Russia play at friends with Iran & Syria because that serves their purposes but they would not go as far as providing military support!! We have little to fear from Russia.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Exactly, I almost forgot about the Turkey angle. Thanks for bringing it in.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well now that John Kerry is Sec State...we can all breath a sigh of relief right ??

Maybe the more pertinent question is what are the US establishment intentions ?

The Russians are concerned about their Southern borders and access to the Med, the Suez Canal and the Indian Ocean.

No doubt they are also more than a little concerned about the growth of Al-CIA-DA....erm I mean Al-Qaeda.

C...

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

I do realize this and see their pattern but they can only threaten without action so many times before their integrity comes into play. They can not afford the people of the world saying things like, "Oh Russia is spouting out again, just ignore them." They would loose any world power they have. It will come down to something but will it be "Talks" or action?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
My theory is this is all an orchestrated grand production with Russia playing its part as the villain. They probably all get together over lunch and laugh at all the gullible sheep killing themselves over all this manufactured strife and war... Sigh. Would that the people of all the world would wake up and stop being the actors in their evil productions and hunt them down and hang them all!

edit on 2-2-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

It is unsettling that Russia is there now. My cousin is going to serve on a US aircraft carrier in Bahrain...which is just across the Persian Gulf from Iran. I sure hope it is boring for him, but it doesn't look that way.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
None of us really know what is going to happen, because the future hasn't been
written yet!
My hope is that common sense will prevail or at least self preservation.If not then the pieces are in place
all over the globe for a nasty bumpy spell.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
If I am understanding the question, essentially the OP is asking why Russia is supporting Syria and to a lesser extent Iran.

A week or so ago I spent some time writing a rather comprehensive thread that answered just this question as to why Russia is supporting Assad but it also touch’s on the question of why Russia supports Iran as the two are linked.

If anyone is interested in knowing why Russia is supporting Assad then please visit this thread

Why is Russia Supporting Assad in Syria?

To quote the summary at the end of the thread

Russia’s reasons for sticking with Syria are that they believe in adopting a foreign policy of totally sovereignty towards Syria so they can undermine western policy. They are also taking this view to ensure their wider commercial and national security concerns as well as putting of what they see as the increasing western and Islamic influence in the Middle East which is drastically reducing the influence of the Russian Federation.

I must emphasise that is a very short segment of the thread and for the full answer please feel free to visit the thread.

Also my apologies to the OP, I know it is not exactly the done thing to advertise my own thread on another members thread but in this instance I have another thread that I think answers your question.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

He's an idiot...

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

It is very telling to note that Russia liked Romney far more than Obama regardless of his comment. Russia was actually rooting for Romney.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The conflict between superpowers has been ongoing, this isn't the beginning, just a continuation of a long term conflict. The difference is that it is becoming more desperate and overt. The battle for influence through proxies is perhaps intensifying, particularly in the Middle East where the USA and Russia are always on opposing sides.

The problem is, both are now being used by even more dangerous groups.

Too bad that these hardened and foolishly stubborn leaders of both superpowers can't learn to set aside their differences and realize that they are soon going to be faced with an extremely dangerous "common enemy"

edit on 2-2-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Would that be Israel and the Zion entity!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It's just very sad that even now, we still fighting, I mean as a kid you get in fights I guess, but as grown ups?? Kids are our leaders?
And we the people, basicly nobody wants war, but we got many of them.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Tell that to the movie industry.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I've actually been working on this assumption for a while. I had been looking at some interesting maps of the world. Including a map colored by the responses to our "war on terror" after 9-11 with a map of political alliances. Forgive me I haven't been able to locate them yet, i'll keep looking.

My theory is that China-Russia is going to become one united front as they try to re-annex their smaller neighboring territories. While everyone continues to fight over Africa's resources, the Euro block will continue to work on consolidation and mutual defense.

Then, probably in the near future the US and Canada will turn into Euro-Disney and South America is getting divided up into those willing to join the northern super powers, or rally behind Cuba who just got elected leader of their newly forming coalition.

RussYA here we go...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join