It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS a site used by the CIA?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Say for isntance the CIA came to Skeptic Overlord and said that he must allow one of their agents to be a mod on this site. I don't believe he could tell them 'No', could he?

Not just anyone is assigned to be a mod here. Contributing, or making attempts to contribute, over a long period of time is certainly part of the criteria, as is showing yourself able to remain calm in the face of taunts and insults too. It's certainly not like a new member can come along and immediately be assigned moderator status. It honestly doesn't work like that at all. I don't think I've even seen a member of less than close to 2 years be asked to come onto staff as well.

Assigning of moderatorship isn't just SO's decision either. It's a discussion from all staff members. Also, and it does have to be said, but we also know each other pretty well on staff. A lot have even met in real life too. Speaking as a moderator at this time here, I seriously can't for the life of me see how someone working for some kind of agency or with an agenda can last here. Everything is discussed and many opinions are thrown into consideration before pretty much any action is taken. I know for a fact - and I am using the word fact on purpose - that if someone has an agenda, they'll be removed. Whether people believe me or not, I don't know, but a lot of you out there know me really, really well now. I promise you, nothing "odd" or "suspicious" is going on behind the scenes of ATS. I've certainly not seen it anyway and being in a position where I am "behind the scenes", I can't begin to imagine how it could be happening as well. It is what it is.
edit on 2-2-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I didn't say that they would ask to do anything.
Since it's my understanding that ATS chooses regular members to be mods, this could take several years for the CIA to be provided such an honor.
I've been on here when they have announced new mods and, considering that I've been a fairly active member for a while now, it would strike me as strange that I didn't recognize a name or two. Then again, I don't refrequent some of the forums, so these folks may have just been here and we never crossed paths.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
He would probably welcome the free help and all the cool gadgets that they would give him.

And he would probably get secret seed money to invest in the operation.

www.linkedin.com...

Stremor is the name of the new platform we're creating for what we believe to be the logical evolution of what is now called "social media." It's the result of some rather painful and bruising strategic soul-searching, and not anything like you've seen before. We're not just saying it's "social, but better," it's what's next. On the strength of our pending patents, we've been able to secure significant seed capital for the development of a strong "public beta" that treats user-directed and professional content very differently. And unlike all those other start-ups with gee-wiz cool ideas and spinning/flipping content interfaces, we've identified how our new platform is also a significant new way for marketers to deliver smart targeted advertising. So yeah, we think it will make money too. How quaint. That's all we can say right now. But if you're a stunningly brilliant software engineer, cloud computing genius, bayesian filter guru, or rock-star creative director experienced in designing captivating user experiences for web and mobile devices, you have a shot at learning more. Everyone else will have to wait.

Where did the two million in seed money come from?

www.forbes.com...

It’s no secret that some of the most successful startups spring up outside Silicon Valley – and even internationally. But a few up and coming startups are calling home in another valley, as companies like Stremor call the area near Phoenix, Arizona its home.

Stremor, which just announced it has raised $2 million in initial seed funding, is slated to launch a series of products and solutions for online content with a focus on mobile and tablet consumption. By following the philosophy of “lean startups,” Stremor has successfully found the “right talent” to launch these products.

And it made it into Forbes.
edit on 2-2-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thanks for your reply and I certainly wasn't including you in my suspicions. We've been here for about the same amount of time and you are a genuine person who does fight the good fight.
But, ATS has been here longer than both of us, so who knows what happened before 2009 when we became members. Would you know if a mod instated in 2005 was an intelligence agent? I think they'd fit right in.
Then, there's the mods that you never see unless they're shutting down a thread. I find this strange. I would think that they'd at least be commenting here and there, but when I see their handle on the board that they've replied to a thread, I know that thread has bit the dust.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Well thank you, that's genuinely nice of you to say and yep, I can say you're one of those genuine truth seekers too, not just one of those looking for sensationalism etc.. So I do value your input. Anyway, in regards to the first point you brought up - As a mod, I can see everything from the past as well as the present. I can look into the logs and find removed posts from years ago if I really wanted to. So genuinely, I've not seen anything weird going on then nor do I see it now. It just hasn't happened. A lot of people like to think ATS is mystical, or the staff are mystical in some form or another, but thing's aren't like that at all. It's just a bunch of moderators trying to mod a very large website. Sorry, but that's what it is, lol. Of course the boring version is never the favored one.

And I see what you mean but genuinely you don't have to find that last part [of what you brought up] strange as well. A lot of mods post more in the staff forums than in the public one's. Nothing unusual about that either, some days I spend a great deal more time in there too I've noticed. No thread closures or actions are ever really taken without input from the moderator as well.

I hope this puts some of your concerns to bed here. If not then apologies, but all I can really do is tell the truth - which I have done. Nothing strange goes on here, ever. I think because of the type of website it is though - conspiracy-orientated that is - It was always going to receive claims such as this. Shame though. And as I end this post let me say that I may not be posting again for a while. Like the rest of the staff, I have a real life outside of here and I have a real, boring, everyday job (that I was unfortunately called into tonight) to go to.

edit on 2-2-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The only weirdness I remember seeing was the old April Fools Day prank the staff pulled that backfired horribly. It still pops up sometimes on occasion when someone finds it and posts it as fact.

Oh those were the days. Some of those April Fools Day gags the staff pulled were classics.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
ATS has been here longer than both of us, so who knows what happened before 2009 when we became members. Would you know if a mod instated in 2005 was an intelligence agent?

I believe I would know and, if that were the case, I'd have run screaming from this website never to post again.

seriously

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

LOL! Good to know, but if you do come across any such knowledge, can you drop me a line before you burn the rubber off your shoes? Our key phrase can be something like "I recite the alphabet when washing my hands".
Thanks!

To Rising Against:
Thanks for your reply as well as your compliment. I've always enjoyed your threads and posts, too. Considering the fact that I know you to be a concerned person who wants to shine light on things that are kept in the shadows, I'll keep my eye on you, too. If you suddenly stop logging in, I'll consider that to be a red flag.

Everyone has to admit though, that every time this topic comes up, it's always an interesting ride.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You can read all about it and comment here from 7 years ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

Springer...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join