It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami Cop Arrested for Armed Sexual Battery and Kidnapping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/dv510a9d25.jpg[/atsimg]

usnews.nbcnews.com...

A Miami Police officer was arrested Wednesday on charges of armed sexual battery by a law enforcement officer and armed kidnapping, authorities said.

Luis Hernandez, 27, a seven-year member of the police department, was arrested by internal affairs detectives after DNA evidence backed up a woman's claims he kidnapped and sexually battered her in November 2011, police said.

Police documents note the victim told investigators that Hernandez, dressed in police uniform, removed his duty belt and exposed himself. According to the victim, the officer then told her to "get down," a demand, she believed, for oral sex.

The victim refused, and she claimed Hernandez began fondling her private parts. According to police, she said he then ordered her to turn around, and she begged him to stop.

www.miamiherald.com...

Officer Luis Hernandez, 27, was arrested Wednesday and charged with armed kidnapping and sexual battery by a law enforcement officer. DNA found on the woman linked him to the attack, prosecutors said.

His arrest comes as the Miami Police Department has sought to clean house amid a series of scandals involving officer misconduct.

Internal affairs Detective Herminia Salas-Jacobson noted that there were 34 minutes of “unaccounted time” that Hernandez had the woman in his control.

What the heck is going on in Miami-Dade? Is Horatio not doing his job or what? lol JK, but seriously what is going on? Apparently, there has been a number of internal affairs arrests as of late from Gambling to sexual assault and stealing money and drugs. (see second link for this info)

Local report:miami.cbslocal.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
They've got some serious corruption issues down in Miami-Dade. Several years ago there was a huge 'house cleaning' in the agency about the time they went 'metro'. In a rush to fill the slots they had a massive hiring period, bringing in many under-qualified applicants with questionable backgrounds and associations.

Now they are trying to have another 'in-house cleaning'? They'll be hiring more corrupt county and city politician's family members and buddies fresh off the boat with brand new green cards to fill those slots. They wont have a record because they haven't been in the country long enough.

I stay well clear of Miami, except for the South Beach area, it's a real toilet.

edit on 31-1-2013 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Yet another reason why it's the police that should have their weapons confiscated.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

Lonewulph - a question on corruption issues of a force like you mention. Years and years ago I was taking kung-fu. I remember our first big tournament. It was the first time most of us had been exposed to any martial artists outside our club and certainly the first time we'd ever fought / competed against any. The Sifu took us aside and told us that just because someone is black belt, or even an advanced black belt it doesn't mean they can't be a low life, jerk, bottom feeder, mouth breather, punk,,,etc.. He also told us that it was usually a "top down" kind of thing and if the teacher was like that his students usually were too. Turns out, it was good advice because he was pretty much 100% right.

How much of this kind of corruption (and acceptance of it ) is a "top down" thing in departments?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Cant say I'm all that surprised.
I've been hearing stories like this most of my life.

Most victims never come forward. I mean cops guns. who'd believe you over them?

Years ago, before I met my wife I dated one lady cop and while she never came out and said it, she gave me the idea that the male officers in her unit, (out in LA) had done something pretty bad to her. bad enough she feared for her life?

I cant say how that turned out, I got deployed to the Stan and never saw her again.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
And people want to take the guns out of the hands of the people.......and only let the police and gov entities have them...........

I feel very sorry for this woman.......and anyone else that is a victim of a thug with a badge

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by cybro

Not every cop is like this, the same way that every gun owner isn't a psychopathic murderer.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Wanna hear the worst part about this.. If she would have tazered him or hurt him because he was raping her, she would be in jail right now and no one would eve listen to anything she said about what happened.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I haven't done the actual research to provide accurate percentages, and don't want to derail the thread, but can only offer what I know from my exposure to various departments across the US.
Corruption varies more among individuals, or groups of individuals, than it does across entire departments with any consistency. But some departments have more of those individuals (or groups), than other departments, usually depending on size or location.

When small departments become larger departments they will need to seek to be more efficient in response times so they will usually break up the department into substations, (or precincts for example), and place them in various parts of the city/ county based on the demand for calls for service (people calling 911/ high crime areas).
Creating those substations requires them to hire more cops to fill the holes. With more new cops comes the need for more supervisor position promotions. If they rush that whole process, a substation has potential to quickly be filled with substandard new cops and supervisors (or very little supervision), that can ultimately lead to a growth of corruption.

In conjunction with substations or precincts , if the city/county also has a slim budget to fund the police department they will not attract high quality recruits to fill those positions. What person with good skills and charming personality in their right mind would want to sign up for a crap job with crap pay just to be cussed out and shot at everyday? Not many, so they get what they pay for, substandard applicants who could be potentially be a subject of corruption. Such as this example in the OP.

Many departments are well aware of this phenomena and go to great lengths to keep their police, policed up, by attracting solid recruits with attractive pay and benefits, thorough background investigations, polygraphs, drug testing, higher education and so on. Those departments have very strict policy when it comes to rules and regulations in regard to conduct becoming an officer. Incentives, believe it or not, for those reporting violations among other officers in their departments.

I know that may sound like being a 'rat' to offer incentive to officers who report the wrong doings of another officer, but when they are hired, they come in knowing that there is that understanding, ( i.e. if one should do any extra 'thumping' on the bad guy in my presence, don't expect me to lie and cover your ass in an internal investigation, it's not worth my family's food on the table.)

The sad fact is, there are awesome police officers and police departments out there, and there are some that just make you want to scream when their screw-up is splattered far and wide by the main stream media. That effect of expounding on only police screw ups, and not so much of their everyday good deeds, easily gives the general public the feeling that every cop is corrupt, and that is so unfair to the good ones that go their entire careers without a single complaint and many rewards.

edit on 31-1-2013 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
How much of this kind of corruption (and acceptance of it ) is a "top down" thing in departments?

It's not just South Florida. Being a dirt bag is pretty much a required characteristic in many offices or branches of "enforcement" today.

Here's some interesting stories from N. Florida:

tallahasseeo.com...
reason.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

Thanks for the response.

I'll admit one reason I asked was one of my first jobs out of college was working at a corrections facility. While there a captain and several of his subordinates got busted for doing similar to what the officer in the OP did to female inmates. So, it made me wonder.. However, like you say - most of the officers there were fine men and women. This guy and many of his subordinates were basically low-lifes thou.
edit on 31-1-2013 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join