It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super volcano awakening in Italy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

It looks like we may be in for an earth-shattering explosion. A dormant super volcano appears to be stirring under the Phlegraen Fields of Naples in Italy. Rising soil temperatures and surface deformation in the area have alarmed seismologists. In the distant past, volcanic super eruptions caused global climate change responsible for mass extinctions of plant and animal species.

So far, scientists are unable to model the potential consequences of an awakening super volcano.

Latest studies show that the Phlegraen Fields have actually been swelling above sea level at a rate of 3 cm per month. Micro quakes and large amounts of gases accumulated in soil indicate that the volcano may be preparing to erupt, says Vladimir Kiryanov, Assistant Professor of Geology at the St. Petersburg University.

"The Phlegraen Fields are a super volcano. Yellowstone in the United States and Toba in Indonesia are also super volcanoes capable of spewing more than 1,000 cubic km of magma. These are catastrophic eruptions. There was a huge volcanic eruption in the Phlegraen Fields some 30,000-40,000 years ago. Volcanic ash from that eruption is still found in the Mediterranean, Bulgaria, Ukraine, and even in Russia. We are now seeing the expansion of a magma pocket, which means that there might be an eruption at a certain time."

english.ruvr.ru...

"It actually seems to be a long-term precursor. A magma chamber may be filled up within a span ranging from decades to centuries. Many mounts grow by 5 cm per year. This is a natural process."

Some scientists hold that the volcanic system of the Earth is becoming increasingly tense and that underground cavities are full of magma threatening to burst out any moment. Whether this will be a super eruption or a string of smaller eruptions, we should prepare for the worst.

Well I suppose, just like Yellowstone, chances are any eruption would likely be smaller, and not a caldera-forming eruption (CFE- in other words, the worst). But still, if the seismologists are alarmed, then maybe we should be too?

Or do you guys think this is all just fearmongering? Calderas rise and swell, and then subside. Look at the inflation that happened at Yellowstone between 2000 and 2010, for a clear example. It has now been subsiding.

But! "large amounts of gases accumulated in soil". This is NOT good. I think if there were any major gas emission increases at Yellowstone, it would probably trigger some alerts. It just depends. I seem to recall them shutting down an area of the park due to rising ground temperatures and gas emissions.

So I dunno, folks...but something to keep an eye on for sure.

There does appear to be some recent seismicity there, which you can see here:
LINK

Of course at a supervolcano, that is the norm rather than the exception.
edit on Thu Jan 31st 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Campi Flegrei caldera, Italian supervolcano, shows increase in uplift and temperature as possible signs of magma ascent ..

Set You Free News
Mon, 07 Jan 2013 15:47 CST

According to a recent report by INGV Naples, the ground deformation of the Campi Flegrei (Phlegraean Fields) near Naples has increased considerably lately. During the last 12 months, the ground in some places near the town of Pozzuoli was uplifted by about 8 cm.
The largest uplift, recorded by GPS devices, occurred during the months of July-August 2012 and since December. The trend appears to be continuing at the moment.

Such (sometimes dramatic, totaling up to several meters in a few years) ground uplift and subsidence have been known in the Phlegraean Fields since antiquity and are not a new phenomenon. They can usually be explained by normal pressure, temperature and density variations of the giant hydrothermal system of the Campi Flegrei caldera and may not necessarily indicate an imminent eruption.

www.sott.net... nt

Campi Flegrei

The surveillance system of the Vesuvius Observatory shows little change in the state of activity of the volcanic area of ​​Campi Flegrei.

www.ov.ingv.it...

"There is a general tendency to lift with an acceleration of the phenomenon in the period from June to August 2012 and the beginning of December 2012. The total lifting of January 2012 is about 9.5 cm."

edit on 31-1-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Lo0l .

Campi Flegrei caldera, Italian supervolcano, shows increase in uplift and temperature as possible signs of magma ascent ..

Set You Free News

According to a recent report by INGV Naples, the ground deformation of the Campi Flegrei (Phlegraean Fields) near Naples has increased considerably lately. During the last 12 months, the ground in some places near the town of Pozzuoli was uplifted by about 8 cm.
The largest uplift, recorded by GPS devices, occurred during the months of July-August 2012 and since December. The trend appears to be continuing at the moment.

Such (sometimes dramatic, totaling up to several meters in a few years) ground uplift and subsidence have been known in the Phlegraean Fields since antiquity and are not a new phenomenon. They can usually be explained by normal pressure, temperature and density variations of the giant hydrothermal system of the Campi Flegrei caldera and may not necessarily indicate an imminent eruption.

www.sott.net... nt

Campi Flegrei

The surveillance system of the Vesuvius Observatory shows little change in the state of activity of the volcanic area of ​​Campi Flegrei.

www.ov.ingv.it...

"There is a general tendency to lift with an acceleration of the phenomenon in the period from June to August 2012 and the beginning of December 2012. The total lifting of January 2012 is about 9.5 cm."

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I found a Wired Science article that touches on the uplift spike in the '80s. A very good read overall:
www.wired.com...

I don't think we're seeing anything akin to awakening, at least not any more than it already is. I have a feeling that when that sucker goes down the pre-eruption checklist, there will be no speculation needed.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Can't post more info ..

translate.google.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Can't post some links also ..

translate.google.com...

The largest uplift, recorded by GPS devices, occurred during the months of July-August 2012 and since December. The trend appears to be continuing at the moment

Trend in the relative share of the GPS station RITE (Pozzuoli, Ward Land) from 1 January 2012 to 22 January 2013. There is a general tendency to lift with an acceleration of the phenomenon in the period from June to August 2012 and the beginning of December 2012.

The total lifting of January 2012 is about 9.5 cm. The points in black represent weekly averages calculated with the final products IGS (ephemeris and precise parameters of the Earth's rotation), which are released with a delay of 12-18 days.

From 15 to 22 January 2013 (12:00 local) were recorded at Campi Flegrei two earthquakes of small magnitude (Mmax ​​= -0.3). The following are the parameters of localized events:

Earthquakes located at Campi Flegrei 15 to 22 January 2013 The map shown in red hypocenters located in the period 15 to 22 January 2013 (2) and blue ones of the past 12 months (109) (22 January 2013).

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This is definitely something to pay close attention to....If such an eruption were to occur, that would be no bueno..

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

For me, it is both a bit of alarm but also a suspicion of fear mongering (if that makes sense). We know they deform land when "breathing", we also know this may mean an eruption or equally that this could be nothing at all - we still do not understand vulcanology enough to connect the necessary dots.

I have long thought any super volcanic eruptions are many thousands of years off (based on past eruptions, it would seem we are in one of the quieter periods between eruptions). That said, we also know past eruption dates / periods are averages and NOT a timetable for when the next one will occur. Plus, it has to be said (and i have resisted long enough!), that volcanic activity does appear to be on an uptick at the moment.

Certainly worth keeping an eye on.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Thanks all of you that have provided additional info on this. I encourage readers to star posts like that.

And Flavian- yes, I feel the same, a bit of both. But I did try to argue a bit of both sides in the OP as well, hoping to alleviate some fear. But who can say? We just don't know. Hopefully in our lifetimes, we will not have to endure any kind of CFE anywhere. It surely would be mayhem.

(but me thinks back to a certain post I made a long time ago about something one of my contacts told me about seismicity at Long Valley: "downright scary.") But this is the earth we live on folks- it is volatile and dangerous.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Maria, hasn't there been some increased seismicity at Vesuvio recently too, that has some concerned?

I mean look at that sukka:
Quakes at Vesuvio
edit on Thu Jan 31st 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Looks only some link don't smell good to ATS, nothing else ..

Mods if you can please delete that post, tnx ..

Like I see things nothing interesting or something to worry about ..

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Do you have any idea if the core temp of the earth is actually heating up?
The swelling magma rises over the planet(and i mean planet) from Italy, Korea,Jellystonre to the Three sisters and the Salton sea....Krakatoa 2 etc....all point to increased upward thrusting magma......
My proposition to you is that this is IMPOSSIBLE without extra ENERGY in mass quantity being generated from within or conversely pulling from without......(dont say Nibiru, but what?)
Finf out what is creating this massive amount of energy, and we will be forever grateful.....if we last that is..............:@@n

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

It was my understanding that the earth is cooling, and has been overall for millions of years... At least that seems to be a popular opinion of science.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MariaLida

Set You Free News

www.sott.net... nt

Campi Flegrei

www.ov.ingv.it...

ATS removed this??? I'm glad I quoted it or I would never have known... just remove innoculous and relevant links to sites they 'don't like'. What the hell is up with ATS lately... can't discuss this, can't talk about that, can't link to this or that, hoax forums... it's not improving that's for sure. What's next, Infowars or truthout?

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MariaLida
lies?

ATS removed this??? I'm glad I quoted it or I would never have known... just remove innoculous and relevant links to sites they 'don't like'. What the hell is up with ATS lately... can't discuss this, can't talk about that, can't link to this or that, hoax forums... it's not improving that's for sure. What's next, Infowars or truthout?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Will be watching this closely for developments. I sure hope its nothing though!

How bad could it be for us if it does "go off"? No sure what this could result in...Mt St-helen or worst?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

This story gives me such worry. I'm an Italian-American and I have lots of family in Tuscany and I would never ever want to see anything like this happen... Italy is SOO beautiful and it's an incredible place to vacation, I'm sure a super volcano would wipe it off the map which would be heartbreaking for so many reasons...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Cant we just perform some sort of liposuction?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22
Will be watching this closely for developments. I sure hope its nothing though!

How bad could it be for us if it does "go off"? No sure what this could result in...Mt St-helen or worst?

Well, there is no question it could be extremely bad, if there was a CFE. I mean millions of people live in its direct path, not to mention the ash fallout- which potentially could affect many parts of Europe. A CFE there would make Mt. St. Helens look small by comparison. Really small.

But again, chances of that are slim, imo, seeing as there was a large eruption 30-40,000 years ago. Chances are that the magma chamber has not filled all that much, maybe some, but I just can't see it being an over-the-top, Europe-clearing eruption IF it did go. Problem is, we can't let the guard down, cause you just never know.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Fascinating!

S&F

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join