It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy weather in Midwest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Ok, to start off, this may be long. Sorry.

It starts a few days ago when the high was like 55. Was the same the next day,had some real good showers in the afternoon, last night however, the ride home was...well.....nerve wracking. My car handles quite well on dry pavement, snow and ice, but when it is raining, my car just loves to hydroplane,(I have new tires) Seeing at night is bad enough, as my headlights really, really suck, as they are plastic, and they are oxidized. When the roads are wet, it's really hard to see(got 20/20 vision) If I didn't have fog lights, I'd be screwed. So It's pouring down rain, roads were flooded. Suprised I didn't run off the road a few times, because it was raining so hard I couldn't see the road barely. But I made it home. I checked the radar, The line of storms I drove through had possible tornadic activity. I was laughing hysterically. Thankfully a friend followed me home to make sure I made it.

Now today, woke up, it was in the upper 50's and nice, tonight, the wind is howling, it's supposed to be in the teens, and it's snowing. It's about a 40 degree tempture change in less than a few hours. The wind sounds like a huge industrial fan blowing into a 3 inch wide real long piece of pvc pipe.

Don't get me wrong, I guess that for 1 inch of rain, it would equal to 10 inches of snow. I don't have my rain gague out, but I'd venture a guess that we got at least 2-3 inches just last night, and probably another 1-2 inches during the day. But if all that rain were snow, WOW.....thats ALOT of snow.

BUT, there is a saying here in Indiana "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute, it will change."

Any other Hoosiers have any stories about the weather this week?

Please share.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
What part of Climate Change don't you understand? Strange is the new norm, sort of matches our new society

edit on 30-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
S Illinois here...CNN said that there was a -32 temp change in two hours..biggest and fastest drop in USA today...I hear you it was jackets this morning spitting snow tonight...it is COLD!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I'm sorry Ricky, what was I thinking???

You don't live too far away, was it that crazy for you up there?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'm in the state to your West, OP.

My job requires driving from facility to facility at night. It's been a strange 24 hours, for sure. I'm looking forward to the spring already.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Sounds like we here in NH are going through what you did prior to the storm.

It was 55 degrees today, 53 right now just after midnight, and projected to be about 52 for tomorrow. The local weather forecasts here are vague about what's coming, they just say snow showers and a temp drop.

The really bad storms have little to no warning when they hit, so thanks for the heads up. I wasn't planning on preparing for anything but now I think I'll fill up my gasoline tanks tomorrow for the generator just in case.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

same thing in Ohio.We had some beautiful snow, then 64° for two days and then this morning one heck of a rain/hail storm

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Most of Canada is in sub-zero temperatures with snow or freezing rain. Except Toronto, which is record breaking warm and people are walking around in shorts. It was -37 C two days ago, -23 Today and its supposed to be around -10 tomorrow then the next week is projected at balmy +2 C. Canadians are used to wild and fluctuating weather, especially here in Alberta, but this winter has been a weird one.

People I ask generally agree. The last few years the weather has been pretty wild, even for Alberta. I will never forget the October thunderstorm of 2012. Thunderstorm... October... Even after it had already snowed once or twice. Weirdest thing I have ever seen (weatherwise)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
We are experiencing the same here in Michigan tonight. The wind is howling and the house is shakng a bit. It is an old but sturdy house. The last storm front that came through a week ago snapped a 200 year old tree onto my house and car totalling my car but only a little damage to this old house. I have another tree I am concerned about tonight due to the wind direction so it will probably be a sleepless night for me here. Hang in there. I hope it passes you safely.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
We are experiencing the same here in Michigan tonight. The wind is howling and the house is shakng a bit. It is an old but sturdy house. The last storm front that came through a week ago snapped a 200 year old tree onto my house and car totalling my car but only a little damage to this old house. I have another tree I am concerned about tonight due to the wind direction so it will probably be a sleepless night for me here. Hang in there. I hope it passes you safely.

Wind is howling pretty good here now. Rainy, listening to scanner, they already have some power lines down....this is gonna be a long night...stay safe!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
It's a blowin' out there alright!

Near Real-Time US Continental Wind Map

I originally got that link from another member here, as it happens...but can't for the life of me recall who. Anyway, I've been watching it change all day and it's quite a sight to see!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
it's called WINTER...

better call AL, it's winter again...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Yesterday afternoon it was 82 here in Aiken, SC.

3 hours later it was down in the 40's.

Pretty much par for the course here in the SE part of the US. Warm, moist tropical air moves up from the gulf of Mexico and warms us up. Then cold arctic air dips down and we're back in the 40's and 50's for a high with lows dipping down in the 20's and teens.

Again, that's actually a normal winter for us down here.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
We got about fourteen inches of snow in the last day. Nothing abnormal though, we used to get that much and more from a storm many times a year. It'll take me at least a half hour to blow my 700+ feet of driveway. It's great having a six and a half foot wide snowblower, I don't know what I'd do without my tractor. When I used to plow it used ten times as much gas.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Cool map Wrabbit

Lower michigan is crazy right now. However that is becoming the norm last few years. I use winter as my gauge for weather in Michigan .

Tuesday long sleeve weather
Wednesday hoodie weather
Today Winter Jacket weather

This has been the windiest 2-3 months in my recent memory as far as I can recall. Maybe some of you old guys (
) would disagree?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Glad I could be of asststance Jibby, yeah, you in for a wild ride!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Same here in Indiana. It went from 70s to 40s-50s, then we had Tornado warnings throughout the night with very strong winds. (About 70mph?) Today it's 28, 16 with wind chill (20mph winds) and snowing.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
Most of Canada is in sub-zero temperatures with snow or freezing rain. Except Toronto, which is record breaking warm and people are walking around in shorts. It was -37 C two days ago, -23 Today and its supposed to be around -10 tomorrow then the next week is projected at balmy +2 C. Canadians are used to wild and fluctuating weather, especially here in Alberta, but this winter has been a weird one.

People I ask generally agree. The last few years the weather has been pretty wild, even for Alberta. I will never forget the October thunderstorm of 2012. Thunderstorm... October... Even after it had already snowed once or twice. Weirdest thing I have ever seen (weatherwise)

Got a better one for ya, I actually spent 25 dollars for two bottles of wine for New Years one year, we have a scanner, they said there were thunderstorms headed our way, I sat at the kitchen table watching it come in. It was a good one to. I didn't even get to my second glass of wine and I felt like I got hit by a ton of bricks, or someone pulled my head off my shoulders, spun it about 10 times, then slammed it back on my shoulders. Come to find out it was a really bad case of Strep. Will always remember that storm though!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311

I hope you "weathered" the winds well USMC. It is some crazy weather. I guess it's supposed to snow like the dickins tomorrow, I say go ahead, I'm not leaving my house.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ok, I'm glad to see people are on this.
My morning has had it's trials, for sure. Went out to start my car to go shopping, the gear shift was frozen, I was ssooooo mad. I wanted to break it, but common sense took over me, and I went into the house for about 15 minutes, and it was fine.

Got done shopping and I almost didn't get my trunk open cuz it was froze to. Bent my key. I guess I need to carry a small torch or something??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join