It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
A total of 16 patients were overcome from something inside a Coral Springs building, authorities said.
Coral Springs Fire said the patients were at 9750 Northwest 33rd Street in Coral Springs.
Paramedics are treating people in a parking lot, aerial footage showed.
Authorities didn't know what had sickened the people.
A pepper spray canister discharged inside a woman's purse, causing the evacuation of more than three dozen people from the two-story Central Medical Plaza, spokesman Mike Moser said. Eight of 10 people treated required hospitalization for a variety of complaints, he said. "Symptoms ranged from skin irritation to difficulty breathing," Moser said. "One patient actually was almost unconscious." The pepper spray circulated through the building's vents prompting the evacuation. "It went through the air conditioning system," Moser said. "That's why we had so many patients because it was dispersed throughout the building."