It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pancreatic Cancers Use Fructose, (HFCS) Common in a Western Diet, to Fuel Growth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
there have been some parallels drawn between the increase use of HFCS's (high fructose corn syrups),
and the increase in certain forms of diabetes. while the increasing rates of use of HFCS and diabetic rates correlate very well there is no one firm connection to be had to a level to where we can simply ban this horrible toxic sugar,

in fact many are trying to demonize raw sugar and force the use of HFCS (HFSC is cheeper and increases corporate profits)

BUT

now the actual hard science has been established between certain forms of cancer and the INCREASE in proliferation of (tested) cancer cell lines and HFCS.

Pancreatic cancers use the sugar fructose, very common in the Western diet, to activate a key cellular pathway that drives cell division, helping the cancer to grow more quickly, a study by researchers at UCLA’s Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center has found.

UCLA

so while this study only uses pancreatic cancer as a cell line of study the underlining pathway could be open to many forms of cancer to exploit and increase the spread of cancerous cells within the body,

other studies i have read look to me as if the this cell line actually "prefers" HFCS (sugars) to naturally accouring sugars that have been present in our environment for centuries.

add to the fact that MOST HFCS is produced by reducing GMO corn down into complex sugars and you get a double health whammy.

“The bottom line is the modern diet contains a lot of refined sugar including fructose and it’s a hidden danger implicated in a lot of modern diseases, such as obesity, diabetes and fatty liver,” said Heaney, who also serves as director of the Pituitary Tumor and Neuroendocrine Program at UCLA. “In this study, we show that cancers can use fructose just as readily as glucose to fuel their growth.

same link

this stuff is used because it lowers costs and is easy to store,

Between 1970 and 1990, the consumption of HFCS in the U.S. has increased over 1,000 percent, according to an article in the April 2004 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Food companies use HFCS—a mixture of fructose and glucose—because it’s inexpensive, easy to transport and keeps foods moist. And because it is so sweet, it’s cost effective for companies to use small quantities of HCFS in place of more expensive sweeteners or flavorings.

same link

As in anti-smoking campaigns, a federal effort should be launched to reduce refined fructose intake, Heaney said.

“I think this paper has a lot of public health implications,” Heaney said. “Hopefully, at the federal level there will be some effort to step back on the amount of HFCS in our diets.”

Heaney said that while this study was done in pancreatic cancer, these finding may not be unique to that cancer type.

it canot be understated that this needs MUCH more study,
but the first ideal is to limit harm and injestion,

something only labelling of goods and education can do.

can someone design an app to photo a product so that confirmation of HFCS FREE status can be ascertained on every day products for average consumers?

xploder

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Fructose is sugar found in fruit.

High fructose corn syrup is a mixture of fructose and glucose and is chemically most similar to honey.

Is there a recommended diet that doesn't contain fructose?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Also, HFCS is coming from genetically modified corn... to add insult to injury.

I've yet to see a study address this.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague. Its so damn toxic to the body and also makes the pancreas spike insulin without mercy. Insulin spike after insulin spike the pancreas will eventually stop producing insulin and then comes the diabetes. It comes no surprise to me that it causes pancreatic cancer. This $hit should be banned along with GMO, aspartame and flouride.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by XPLodER

Fructose is sugar found in fruit.

High fructose corn syrup is a mixture of fructose and glucose and is chemically most similar to honey.

Is there a recommended diet that doesn't contain fructose?

whole or raw foods that are not GMOs or processed
currently there is no way of knowing as most food companies say if they disclosed their ingredients it would compromise their "trade secrets" in recipes,

hence the need for an app

xploder

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
I avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague. Its so damn toxic to the body and also makes the pancreas spike insulin without mercy. Insulin spike after insulin spike the pancreas will eventually stop producing insulin and then comes the diabetes. It comes no surprise to me that it causes pancreatic cancer. This $hit should be banned along with GMO, aspartame and flouride.

while correlation does not prove causation,
the rise in use of HFCS and the rise in type 2 diabetes is almost perfectly paralleled when graphed.

the liver has never had to deal with this fake sugar before, unlike cane sugar which has been used for decades, and has implications to the obesity epidemic.

the only reason HFSC is cheeper thancane sugar is the massive subsidies that gov pays to growers.

xploder

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
This video is long, but very well worth watching. Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin. Series: UCSF Mini Medical School for the Public

More about Dr. Lustig: He obtained a bachelors degree from MIT (1976) and an M.D. degree from Cornell University Medical College (1980). He then spent six years as a research associate in neuroendocrinology at Rockefeller University. He completed a pediatric residency at St. Louis Children's Hospital and his clinical fellowship in pediatric endocrinology at UCSF were he joined the teaching staff in 1984. Lustig is currently in the Master of Studies in Law program at UC Hastings College of the Law.

Lustig has authored over 85 research articles and 45 book chapters. He is a former chairman of the Obesity Task Force of the Pediatric Endocrine Society, a member of the Obesity Task force of The Endocrine Society, and on the Steering Committee of the International Endocrine Alliance to Combat Obesity.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Before the crazies descend in their hypochondriacal hordes, let it please be noted that
  • Cancers, and not just pancreatic ones, also use glucose to fuel their growth. It says so right there in the linked article.

• Glucose is essential to human metabolism. You can't live without it.

• Sucrose, fructose and glucose are all grist to cancer's mill.

• Cancer is not something strange or unnatural. It is nature's way of getting rid of malfunctioning organisms that have lived long past their use-by date (which humans reach around age 40).

You can get back to the usual ignorance-affirming, spleen-venting, panic-mongering nonsense now.

edit on 31/1/13 by Astyanax because: of spleen. Sorry, pancreas.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
My boss passed away from pancreatic cancer. One day he told us he hadn't been feeling very well and would be visiting with doctors who wanted to run some tests. They concluded he had diabetes. Three weeks later they modified that diagnosis and determined it was actually pancreatic cancer. Seven weeks later he passed at 50 years old. The man lived off of Mountain Dew. I must add that he wasn't exactly the bastion of clean living, but you never saw him without the dew.

I saw Dr. Lustig's video about two years ago - maybe three. It definitely made me stop and think, but I didn't drastically change my behavior. When I turned 40 (about a year after my boss's death) I tossed the sugar right along with the wheat gluten out of my regular diet. I have real sugar once a week and no wheat. All of my aches and pains stopped from old injuries, and I can now clearly feel it when wheat somehow smuggled its way into a meal because every little injury I've sustained rears its ugly head. Sugar right along with wheat cause inflammation. Screw the "modern" diet.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Absolutely,companies are only obliged to reveal total sugar content,not the derivative source of such sugars,essentially the only practical way to avoid these poisons is to forego all processed products completely.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

More about Dr. Lustig: He obtained a bachelors degree from MIT (1976) and an M.D. degree from Cornell University Medical College (1980). He then spent six years as a research associate in neuroendocrinology at Rockefeller University. He completed a pediatric residency at St. Louis Children's Hospital and his clinical fellowship in pediatric endocrinology at UCSF were he joined the teaching staff in 1984. Lustig is currently in the Master of Studies in Law program at UC Hastings College of the Law.

Lustig has authored over 85 research articles and 45 book chapters. He is a former chairman of the Obesity Task Force of the Pediatric Endocrine Society, a member of the Obesity Task force of The Endocrine Society, and on the Steering Committee of the International Endocrine Alliance to Combat Obesity.

this is from the post above^^^^^^

im sorry his credentials are much more impressive than someone with "closed minded in their avatar

while all forms of complex sugars are required in a diet, and cancers can consume all forms of sugar,
the high froctose corn syrp is in a form of sugar the liver struggles to refine for any other purpose than storage in fat cells.

while you can try to confuse the issue people much smarter than i have been able to show the bodies reaction to this form of concentrated fructose is not at all similar to the other sugars,

the insulin spike and weight gain are but two of the warning signs our bodies exebit upon injestion.

as i stated MUCH more testing is needed but the factors for obesity and diabetes are both present in the reaction to these concentrated sugar compounds.

you seem unconcerned that there are health effects that can be seen in the larger community, that correlate with the increased use of these products and the epidemic of type 2 diabeties.

while correlation is not causation its very hard not to come to a reasonable conclusion,
extra profit for corporations, doesn't equate to a better health out come.

where are the long term safety studies?

xploder

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Yup. Hence all the fat diabetic bears.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hi good-food fans !

Here is a link, linked to this conversation :

Regulators Discover a Hidden Viral Gene in Commercial GMO Crops

And, THIS ( GMO ) is what is used to make the Monsanto-poisonned HFCS !!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Blue skies.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

You do realise, I hope, that you are reading nonexistent inferences into my post?

edit on 31/1/13 by Astyanax because: of bug-eyed loonies.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

You can get back to the usual ignorance-affirming, spleen-venting, panic-mongering nonsense now.

im sorry i found your language distasteful,

as this forum is for debate not name calling,
secondly as you have close minded on your avatar i amused you were here to derail my thread.

please feel free to provide safety studies that show that raw cane sugar feeds the cells at the same rate as HFCS's

or that long term GMO studies have been done with reduced sugars and their effects on health over a term exceeding 2 years.

feel free to show that the rates of diabetes havent climbed with use of HFCS's

i apologise if i miss understood your intentions, i get trolled hard when debating GMO's and HFCS

xploder

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

im sorry i found your language distasteful

Fair enough. For my point, I find the propagation of ignorance contemptible, and regard scaremongering as immoral.

this forum is for debate not name calling

That is why I didn't call anyone any names.

secondly as you have close minded on your avatar i amused you were here to derail my thread.

I see you are one who takes things literally. My intent was to balance the slanted information supplied in your opening post, which begs the conclusion: Corn Syrup Bad. Now that may well be true, but not because it feeds tumours – something glucose and sucrose are already known to do. To claim that fructose is deadlier than other sugars based on this study is simply wrong.

please feel free to provide safety studies that show that raw cane sugar feeds the cells at the same rate as HFCS's

From your very own link:

Although it’s widely known that cancers use glucose, a simple sugar, to fuel their growth, this is the first time a link has been shown between fructose and cancer proliferation.

There are no such studies because this is the first one showing that corn syrup does exactly what other sugars are already known to do.

Besides, what makes you think rates matter? Are you just 'amusing' that they do?

or that long term GMO studies have been done with reduced sugars and their effects on health over a term exceeding 2 years.

What relevance has this to the established fact that cancers feed on glucose?

feel free to show that the rates of diabetes havent climbed with use of HFCS's

I am not debating Corn Syrup Bad.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Before the crazies descend in their hypochondriacal hordes, let it please be noted that
  • Cancers, and not just pancreatic ones, also use glucose to fuel their growth. It says so right there in the linked article.

• Glucose is essential to human metabolism. You can't live without it.

• Sucrose, fructose and glucose are all grist to cancer's mill.

• Cancer is not something strange or unnatural. It is nature's way of getting rid of malfunctioning organisms that have lived long past their use-by date (which humans reach around age 40).

edit on 31/1/13 by Astyanax because: of spleen. Sorry, pancreas.

And I wonder if the global increase in various types of cancer in humans is natures way of letting us know that our population has reached a crisis point?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nake13

And I wonder if the global increase in various types of cancer in humans is natures way of letting us know that our population has reached a crisis point?

Interesting idea. Just who is 'nature' in this formulation? Some kind of animal, person, spirit or deity?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nake13

Could it be something to do with better awareness and/or better screening for cancers?

Again, to bring this thread back to where it should be the study does not state that fructose causes cancer.
It states that cancer cells feed off fructose as well as other sugars.
I.e. the cancer cells are already there and not there as a result of there being fructose available.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Fair enough. For my point, I find the propagation of ignorance contemptible, and regard scaremongering as immoral.

thank you for formally entering the debate, and engaging with debate style questions, star

That is why I didn't call anyone any names.

cleaver inference and name calling have the same effect, derailing the tread, please refrain

I see you are one who takes things literally.

undiagnosed asbergers here, things are literal unless other wise stated, i understand my fault

My intent was to balance the slanted information supplied in your opening post, which begs the conclusion: Corn Syrup Bad. Now that may well be true, but not because it feeds tumours – something glucose and sucrose are already known to do. To claim that fructose is deadlier than other sugars based on this study is simply wrong.

although as stated in my op i have read of studies that show that HFCS is more readily up-taken into the stomach and can "displace" uptake of other sugars, while it would be acurite to say that in a dish the results of uptake are similar, in the body and passing through the stomach lining the HFCS absorbs faster and lowers the uptake of natural sugars. i however didnt bookmark the source of these studies and havent been able to refind them

There are no such studies because this is the first one showing that corn syrup does exactly what other sugars are already known to do.

this is NOT my understanding, alas i am unable to find the links to show other wise

Besides, what makes you think rates matter? Are you just 'amusing' that they do?

NO this is where the double "whammy" comes into the equation 1/HFCS 2/GMOs

A study of young twins in Malawi, in sub-Saharan Africa, finds that bacteria living in the intestine are an underlying cause of a form of severe acute childhood malnutrition.

Read more at: medicalxpress.com...

link to physorg
piont 1/ GMO BT corn works by damaging the stomach of the insects that consume the corn as the toxin is "engineered into" the plant, this toxin also enters the stomach of humans, reducing the "healthy or normal" population of micro organisms that inhabit a healthy gut

point 2/ when the healthy gut micro organisms are inhibited by the BT toxin the sugars in HFCS are more readily absorbed by the gut lining. studies showing that the spike in insulin is higher and for longer in cases of ingestion of HFCS suggest that the liver has a harder time "converting" the sugars and causes pancreatic stress, fatty liver and other symptoms.

Bt corn is a variant of maize, genetically altered to express the bacterial Bt toxin, which is poisonous to insect pests. In the case of corn, the pest is the European corn borer. Over the past couple years they have added traits against Corn ear worm, and Root worm.
Expressing the toxin was achieved by inserting a gene from the microorganism Bacillus thuringiensis into the corn genome. This gene codes for a toxin that causes the formation of pores in the Lepidoptera larval digestive tract. These pores allow naturally occurring enteric bacteria, such as E. coli and Enterobacter, to enter the hemocoel, where they multiply and cause sepsis

en.wikipedia.org...

normal gut bacteria allow for better absorption of sugars, bt kills them and HFCS is then absorbed in higher concentrations

What relevance has this to the established fact that cancers feed on glucose?

human bodies are systems that dont work in isolation from each other, by damaging the gut micro orginisms,
the ballence is tipped in favour of the HFCS sugars, because people are being taught to avoid CANE sugars,
but are not warned of HFCS sugars they are eating more sugar not less

I am not debating Corn Syrup Bad.

you would like to show one is as bad as another, while i dont have links to show you,
MUCH more study in these areas is required.

So, Gordon and his team looked to another source of genes – the microbial genes in the gut. These genes extract nutrients and calories from the diet, synthesize vitamins and nutrients and help shape the immune system.

Read more at: medicalxpress.com...

when the immune system is under attack by the bt toxin, and gut microbes are not synthesizing vitamins and nutrients the whole body is in trouble.

from BT damaging colonies of healthy gut micro organisms to sugars our liver tries to process as toxin the whole thing is a bad idea and INSIDE HUMANS a perfect storm of damage occurs

so yes corn syrup BAD

xploder

edit on 1-2-2013 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2013 by XPLodER because: add bt corn links

top topics

<<   2 >>

join