It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A curious omission?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
A Curious Omission?
Recently I was watching the classic science fiction film, Invaders from Mars (1953).
I have the 50th anniversary disc, which includes an “American version” and a “British version” …
Whenever I’ve watched it in the past I’ve always chosen the American version.
But this time, just for a little diversity, I decided to choose the British version. (Yeah, my life is that pathetic … ask my wife … )
Anyway, I’m watching it and I notice that there’s this whole segment about the various types of UFOs that is omitted from the American version.
The segment talks about the case of an American airman who crashed while chasing a flying saucer, solar systems believed to harbor alien civilizations, etc., etc. … and then it goes into surprising detail about the types of UFOs that were known to exist back then. Specifically, it identifies three types: a little saucer shaped thing they believed to be unmanned, a larger saucer shaped craft and another UFO that looks a lot like an airplane, with a fuselage and wings.
The third type caught my attention because it really looked like something that would have been created by the U.S. military. The only thing missing was an Air Force insignia.
If you don’t believe me, check it out! You can buy it on Amazon (www.imdb.com...)
At any rate, it sure seems curious that this segment was eliminated by the American censors but not by the Brits … what does it all mean …?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePaisan

At any rate, it sure seems curious that this segment was eliminated by the American censors but not by the Brits … what does it all mean …?

It means,
America,
"You can't handle the Truth!"

Only joking! yes that is odd, movies often have different cuts for different countries but that is quite a curious one.
I have never seen the movie myself but I will seek it out now upon your recommendation. Thank you.

Edit - P.S This may be in the wrong forum.
edit on 27-1-2013 by HumansEh because: see edit

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePaisan

Since this is the Introduction Forum...I'm only going to say...

Welcome to ATS

Des

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Welcome to the End of the Internet, or, the beginning, ATS. Hope you enjoy your stay.

I think folks should first watch the movie, Im sure it will ring some bells for some.

I found a copy on Our favorite video portal, You Tube.

Can you spot the "Parallels" ?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

Oh, good! A 1953 movie to watch during dinner tonight!

I guess an airplane-shaped UFO looks strange when making course changes but especially hovering or slowly moving sideways. But can it operate upside down?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePaisan

Anyway, I’m watching it and I notice that there’s this whole segment about the various types of UFOs that is omitted from the American version.

The segment talks about the case of an American airman who crashed while chasing a flying saucer, solar systems believed to harbor alien civilizations, etc., etc. … and then it goes into surprising detail about the types of UFOs that were known to exist back then. Specifically, it identifies three types: a little saucer shaped thing they believed to be unmanned, a larger saucer shaped craft and another UFO that looks a lot like an airplane, with a fuselage and wings.

ThePaisan, good call and certainly a very curious omission.

The part you mention (involving a picture of the Lubbock Lights object on the wall) was shown in the video below - unfortunately it's been completely removed from Youtube but you can still see the screen shot.

As for why the scene was cut from the American version of the film I don't know but the year before was one of the biggest UFO flaps on record so maybe someone somewhere got a bit jittery and pulled it.

The 1952 Sighting Wave - Radar-Visual Sightings Establish UFOs As A Serious Mystery

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

You made a good catch there

That scene hasn't gone unnoticed and I remembered Robbie Graham posting about it on his cool blog Silver Screen Saucers. You can read his thoughts right here.

This lengthy scene clearly was devoid of narrative function and it did not appear in the US theatrical cut of the film. That it was scripted and shot at all raises questions about the possibility of subversive government involvement in the filmmaking process – a notion that cannot easily be dismissed in light of the US government's documented historical efforts to manipulate the content of Hollywood's UFO movies. Such efforts typically were geared towards debunking the UFO phenomenon; in a few select cases, however, the objective apparently was to acclimate the public to the notion of UFO reality (with the Robert Emenegger case of the early 1970s standing as perhaps the best example of this approach).

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Really... Great find OP!!!!
I am not sure what version of the movie i own but now i will have to check it!
Why did they cut this scene out? Must have to do with MoNeY

Or maybe not? Highly interesting!! S&F

To all that have never watched the 1953 original i can only say that they have missed some

Go check it out. Splendid movie!!

Btw... here is the remake which was released in 1986. Also a nice one to watch

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

It likely means they felt this part of the movie would bore the 1953 audiences..... Or, as Blue Book was getting started, maybe they intervened...not an unlikely suggestion. The pilot, by the way, Captain Thomas Mantell, likely died chasing a Skyhook balloon,though many believe it was a UFO.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Or, as Blue Book was getting started, maybe they intervened...not an unlikely suggestion.

Gazrok, I agree that's not an unlikely suggestion, maybe the CIA also had a hand in the intervention as at the time (1952) they were busy preparing the conclusions for the Robertson panel's 'impartial' UFO study one year later - this document also brings up the subject of 'the dangers of mass psychological considerations'.

Alternately it could have been the Department of Defense as it states in the peer reviewed article below that the DOD has worked extensively with Hollywood for over sixty years in exchange for the right to edit scripts.

'History of Government Management of UFO Perceptions through Film and Television'

This is one of only a small handful of articles dealing with UFOs and entertainment-media-control ever to have been published in a peer-reviewed academic journal, and is all the more unusual in that it treats UFOs not as a mere cultural abstraction, but as a real, physical phenomenon of considerable concern to officialdom.

Page 5

The government’s historical engagement with such fare can most thoroughly be discussed with regard to the Department of Defense (DoD), which has worked extensively with Hollywood in exchange for the right to edit scripts for sixty years.

link

Cheers.
edit on 27-1-2013 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join