It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acceptable terminology re people's skin colour and ethnic origin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Hi people, I have a thread brewing which kind of 'touches' on race, whilst not actually being 'about' race. My question is this, are terms such as 'black people' or 'the black man' in any way offensive to or even frowned upon, either by the staff or people of african-american descent?
I have gone through several pages in this section, and apart from warnings against 'racist' language, I couldn't find anything relevant. I don't want to cause anyone any offence, and I don't want to spoil my thread, so I would welcome discussion and guidance.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by freebornman

Well coming from a common sense perspective, I don't see how saying black or black man would be considered racist. If that's the case, then white or white man should be racist too. I would hope we are all smart enough to know what the racist terms really are.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I also cant see how that would be offensive. I have heard it said amoungst black people MANY times. So many times infact perhaps more than I would say black. so wouldnt worry
edit on 25-1-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

That's the way I feel about it, but 'political correctness' has made a minefield out of the subject, in the UK at least.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

There is a very funny Mad Tv skit exactly about this situation. Its about a woman in a clothing store who gets assistance from a sales clerk. The front counter guy asks what she looked like and she could not bring herself to say the word black. She used any other description she could except the color of her skin. When she finally blurted out that she was black, the front counter guy tells her, that sales clerk has been dead for years lol. It was a nice message about some of the crazy PC constraints people make for themselves.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by freebornman
Hi people, I have a thread brewing which kind of 'touches' on race, whilst not actually being 'about' race. My question is this, are terms such as 'black people' or 'the black man' in any way offensive to or even frowned upon, either by the staff or people of african-american descent?
I have gone through several pages in this section, and apart from warnings against 'racist' language, I couldn't find anything relevant. I don't want to cause anyone any offence, and I don't want to spoil my thread, so I would welcome discussion and guidance.

If you ask me African-American is more offensive. While I am not black, I have black friends that are of Jamaican and Hawaiian descent. Their skin color is black, yet low and behold their people do not hail from Africa.

Just say black people. Or brown.

Also, if you think there is a difference between black/red/yellow/white people you are mistaken. We are all the same.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Thanks, people, think I'm getting the picture.

. It was a nice message about some of the crazy PC constraints people make for themselves.

Also, if you think there is a difference between black/red/yellow/white people you are mistaken. We are all the same.

Amen on that, we all bleed red. (Excepting the blue-blooded aristocracy, what colour is lizard blood?)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Green maybe? With a tinge of yellow I think.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I hate how we have to use color describe others but I that's what society developed with.

Black people are hardly ever actually "black"

So...

Let's just call each other yin & yang when referring to black or white, that'd be much cooler.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
In what situation is it really appropriate to be pointing out races anyways? Now I am not super PC, I just don't see race as relevant in like 99% of the situations it is brought up myself.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

It is not offensive, however, there are those who will take offence regardless.

May I suggest that you when you start your thread OP you link this thread at the beginning.

Also add a disclaimer along the lines of:

"I wish to make it clear that I love all of my brothers and sisters irrespective of race, colour or creed, and to assume otherwise is simply incorrect".............

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'm white, if someone calls me a whiteman I have no problem. My friends that are Indian don't mind being called Indians. I know some black people, calling them African Americans sounds worse than saying they are black to me because they have never been to Africa. What is the big issue with color anyway, we are all human beings. It isn't color that makes us honest, truthful, or trustworthy. This is what we should be judged on.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
You deffinatly cant say the N word, deffinatly not, saying the N word is too much. They only ever say the N word on the news or on white people TV shows, because basicaly saying the N word is pretty much how white people have finally gotten a way to say the N word.

Please will a moderator not use there brain and take offense at this?

I cant wait.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Exlanation: Flagged!

An alternative could possibly be "melanated' which refers to skin colour only.

Personal Disclosure: Awesome question that was extremely well ask! Well done!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have never really understood the calling out of one's skin color but only to differentiate a racial difference.
Do we call Asian's slant eyed or yellow?
In my book,a dumbass is just that,an asshole is just that.
They come in all flavors and colors.
I think it's more of a cultural and religious difference than anything.And putting an image on who is poor and who is rich.
Are there not rich,successful black people and is there not poor white trash.
If you are born in America,you are an American and so on.
Each one of us is a person.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
No moderator will ever simply remove a post simply because a black person is called a black person. Never have. Never will.

What typically happens is a person would post a reasonable thread with an OP that touches some issues regarding race - but is not necessarily "racist". The true racists will then flock to the thread and use the references to black people (or whatever ethnic background) as an excuse to turn it into a racist thread. The thread would then take a turn for the worst in reaction to the race bait resulting in a closed or trashed thread.

So, the issue of race is a minefield but not a closed door as long as intelligent debate is at the order of the day.

This thread by Springer should give you a good idea where we stand on the issue of race:
The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW.

Edit: And in addition: The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS
edit on 26-1-2013 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

A friend of mine calls himself 'black' but his mum uses the word 'coloured.'

ATS is a wide forum that covers many ages, languages and colours. It's probably impossible to write a post that doesn't offend someone out there. Some folk are only happy when offended!

As Gemwolf has just pointed out, you can use the term 'black' with a clear conscience and it would then be the way you write about your topic on which you would be judged. Your posts in this thread don't suggest an overtly negative angle so let's hope it's an interesting thread.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Can we say yellow, red, or brown people?

Its strange that black has become and accepted term and the others are not.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

No moderator will ever simply remove a post simply because a black person is called a black person.

That's basically what I needed to clarify, Gemwolf, thanks for that. The thread I'm draughting is about music and history, nothing contentious, I just wanted to be sure how best to word it. I read the springer post you linked, but it didn't really answer my specific concern, hence I posted this.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Can we say yellow, red, or brown people? Its strange that black has become and accepted term and the others are not.

It's funny/peculiar that we use black or white, but everyone else gets called their nationality. I have a couple of arab friends, but the idea of calling them 'lightish brown people' seems ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join