It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban in Toledo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
There is a smoking ban in Toledo right now. To support it this election they have a guy come on who says he lost his vocal cords due to second hand smoke. But I have always found/been told that while smoking is bad, second hand isn't. In my exp. both me and my sis have asthma due to smoking, though niether of us smoke. Maybe it does, but this year in Toledo they making a big deal out of it. Any thoughts? I find it good for Oregon, my home town, for they don't have a smoking ban and people come out here to eat out and smoke.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If the ban is universal and properly enforced then it is good and workable. Non smoking has become the rule in my province, municipality by municipality.

Originally there were problems where some bars were more vigilant in obeying the law than others. Predictably they lost business. Then people found out that they were under no legal obligation to identify themselves to enforcement officers who tried to ticket them, predictably tickets for smoking dropped to 0.

A new law was passed fining the establishment rather than the offending patron and smoking in bars ceased. So did business traffic as everybody went to surrounding municipalities where non smoking legislation had yet to be enacted.

I'm not a smoker but when I went out, it was to clubs in municipalities that allowed smoking simply because thats where the people were.

Now that surrounding areas have gone non smoking as well things have evened back out. Obviously if a law is to be fair and enforcable it has to be universal.

BTW- You really don't notice how much your clothes stink of smoke until you start patronising non smoking establishments. No burn holes from some drunk idiot's cig either

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Smoking ban has been in Toronto for quite some time now, not a problem.

And the air is fresh... minus the smog.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Just a note from your friendly neighborhood Mod. This topic already exists here on ATS. Please add your thoughts and comments to the thread below:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This thread will be closed.

Thanks
FredT

top topics

join