It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

smoking Ban- To be or not to be?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hope this is in the right forum.

Should smoking in public be banned?

In my opinion it should be banned in public, why should our lives be shortened because some people wish to shorten there life by inflicting upon themselves smoking?

How many of you smoke?

How many of you agree with me?

How many of you disagree with me? Why shouldn't smoking be ban? Please somebody give me a reason. As i sit here typing i am inhaling second hand smoke!

What pleasure do you get from smoking? Do you get anything other than acne and bad breath from smoking, does it do anything other than cure your addiction for a few hours if that?

[edit on 8-10-2004 by shorty]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I think smoking should be banned in buildings and around public buildings, schools, libraries, etc.

If people would be considerate smokers there would not be a need for bans but since many people don't care who has to inhale their smoke I guess the local Governments need to do something about it. Smoking indoors is just downright disgusting. I dont understand why anyone would want to do it but that's just my humble opinion.

My husband saw a T.V. show, I think it was called B.S. that said that no real studies had been done in regard to second hand smoke being more dangerous than actually inhaling a cig yourself. I'll find out more info and post a link.

Here is the link: www.sho.com...

Jemison

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Jemison]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Us in the U.K cant acess the page. Thanks for you opinon J

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I think smoking should be banned in buildings and around public buildings, schools, libraries, etc.

Yes I agree,

As a smoker I do think that in some ways smoking in public places should be banned,

But... I think you should still be allowed in pubs'nightclubs,

As for restaurants I think I would be fine with a ban there, Yes I smoke but I still respect the non smokers and don�t want to be ruining there food with my smoke,

Also a ban may help me give up or smoke less so thats always a good thing lol

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Oop, I forgot to mention that I am a closet smoker. So though I am a smoker (a very sneaky one) I support a ban.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It surpises me how many smokers would support a ban

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Hi,

Im from Ireland and as some of u may know we recently brought in a ban on smoking in ALL places of work, and not just buildings, taxi's busses etc.
For instance if u hire a plumber and he has the right to tell u to stop smoking in your own house because its his work place.Im a smoker myself and i must admit it was annoying at first but u get used to it,.

All in all its a great idea and will save alot of lives ,all countrys should bring this law in and also kids are less exposed to smoking so alot less will take it up hopefully.Taking up smoking is one of the worst things i have done in my life and im hooked and cant get off the damn things, Hopefully this is the 1st in a chain of events that will eventually erradicate smoking from human life styles.Because its stupid pointless and it kills people, Period.,

Merkz out....

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Very, very, very and one more very well said. I could't of said it any better myself.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I live in Toronto, last April they passed a law that smoking was banned from all restuarnts, offices, and bars. I don't support or unsupport this discission but I've seen alot of resturants and bars loosing buisness from this law.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well, I think smoking should be prohibited in all places except outside and in ones home and car. I believe that even nightclubs and bars should be smoke free. I hate going to a bar and leaving smelling like an ashtray.
I dont think that a ban would hurt restraunts, clubs or bars. What, are smokers going to stop eating and drinking because they cant smoke inside? No, they will just step outside and have a smoke occasionally.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
lol Yea i guess us smokers would have to sit outside lol,

But in the UK it gets pretty cold in the winter, I think that most would hide in a toilet for a quick smoke,

I suppose in some way there are dangers, like people sneeking somewhere for a smoke, and maybe not putting it out right!

I dunno though lol

Ireland seems to be getting on ok so far with the ban in place.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I think banning smoking in Bars and nightclubs is going to far. They dont even leave us a option like a non-smoking and smoking area, Why cant there be a area in a bar for smokers and a area for non-smokers. Or even better smoking bars and non-smoking bars nobody will force you to go to a smoking bar if you dont want.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
um are u kidding?

I'm a smoker and I really doubt that inhaling second hand smoke when your walking outside is gonna really change your life.

stop whining... smoking should be allowed in pubs and in outdoor public places.

In the subarb next to mine smoking is banned, think about that, it sucks

so suck it up, and if you cant handle having a shorter life, then just leave if people do it.

In Ireland smoking is illegal in pubs, and guess what happens? All the drunks go outside to light up, and end up causing more trouble. (i e fights)

If you dont believe me then look it up.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
In Florida, if restaurants have more than 10% of total sales in food, smoking is banned.

I agree with removing it in this way> It has become accepted and seems to work fine. As far as a total ban, I think it would be better to do this over time rather than over night.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
If the restrictions on smoking could be manages sanely I would support it, but as it stands now some places take the bans too far. At the local mall they have a sign at each enterance saying something along the lines of "no smoking within 200 feet of the enterance" Can you guess where that 200 foot line shows up? Out in the middle of the parking lot! If we want to make our air indoors healtheir, we at least need to be curteous to those displaced and not having them standing in the rain in the middle of parkinglots.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I agree that the "200 Foot" rule is going a little far. My take on smoking is this... You should be able to smoke anywhere that it wont affect other people. In other words, outside and in your car or home.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Our smoking ban in NY bans indoor smoking in just about all workplaces...."for the protection of the employees". Kodak quickly got a waiver from this law...(they probably were afraid that someone would throw their butt in the wrong location and blow Rochester up!!)
I have no problem with them banning smoking in resturants, or bars, or offices even, but in those workplaces where the work itself exposes the people to hazards far worse that shs, well, the original restrictions (designated smoking areas) were far more saner....especially in cases such as Kadak.....where sending them outsite would have been much more hazardous.

Also, a better way to have gone would have been to create a law that protected people from ALL of those irritants that are well known to cause discomfort amoung some members of our population.....as well as require businesses to be more upfront concerning those substances that are in the workplace that are liable to cause iriritation, asthma, skin irritation, liver problems, lead poisoning, heart disease, nervous disorders, ect. ect. matter of fact, the time to inform the public regarding these dangers would be in the high schools, as they are deciding just what type of career they desire to go into.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This whole smoking thing is way out of hand . I mean realy first the GOV sues the companies like everone hasent known for 100 years smoking is bad for you. secondly I smoke my father smokes my grand father somked.
my wife works for an 87 year old lady who smokes .
my grand father live to 87 befor he died. The 87 year old is still living .
and the top it off george burns ( Movie star lived to 100 smoked drank and dated 20 year old woman .
the FACT is if your more prone to lung desies of heart problems you will have problems even if you dont smoke.
I watch these INFO murchials with all the new and improved wonder drugs and dont know if i should laugh of cry .
This new heart burn medican is soo great disclamer can cause bleeding stumic problems dont take if your young old a woman a woman who is preggers . lol The stuff will cure if it dont kill you.
Butter is bad for u salt is bad for studies have found eating ANYTHING can lead to canser.and other studies found that not eating at all can kill u as well.
Personly I think George had the right idea QUIT worrying and enjoy life you will live longer as stress can cause heart attacks lol

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
As a smoker, I feel I am getting a bum rap. They treat us like second-class citizens now. I had to go outside in the winter at a concert I paid alot of money for. There was no protection from the weather whatsoever. If they kick us out of the building, they should have some sort of roof or something to keep us out of the rain/snow/wind.
Smokers are friendilier people. I have stood on line for hours and people totally ignore you, but step outside and light one up, there are five others chatting away. Its amazing,
, but adversity brings out the best in some people.
I have always treated people with respect in my smoking habits. If I am at someones house that doesn't smoke, I don't smoke, even if other guests are smoking. I go outside.
Between the police stings (hanging out at closing time) and the smoking issues, alot of bars are going under. Big deal, right? Not if you happen to own the place.
I agree that alot of smokers are very rude. I own a greenhouse business that being outside - no problem - people smoke, but then they throw the butts in my garden beds. ACK! Can't you see that can sitting there?

You all have a great day!

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This topic has been discussed on a number of threads already, with smokers standing up for their rights. Its really amazing that they feel their rights should take preference to that of non-smokers. If you smoke around anybody you are infringing on their right to clean air , their right to comfort and their right not to smell of smoke. I am a non-smoker and I have no problem with that as I don't feel my choice not to smoke impinges on anybody's rights. I think that smoking should be banned everywhere in fact, with the exception of smoking clubs/stores. I am tired of having to dodge second hand smoke on the street. However I am even more bored with smokers telling me that there are worse things than smoking. Address the issue not the periphery, if you want to discuss other hazards to health then start a thread about that.

And further I believe that parents who insist on smoking directly around their children should be prohibited from doing so.

I am sure this will make me #1 on the most hated list.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join