It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago’s mayor tries to enlist banks in anti-gun campaign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Snip> Emanuel sent letters to TD Bank, which provides a $60 million credit line to Smith & Wesson, and to Bank of America, which provides a $25 million line to Sturm, Ruger & Co., asking the CEOs to push the companies to ‘‘find common ground with the vast majority of Americans who support a military weapons and ammunition ban.’’

Emanuel’s effort to enlist banks in the gun control campaign is just one example of a new willingness by a public official, galvanized by last month’s carnage in Newtown, Conn., to wield the power of the purse.

New York state’s big public pension fund and California’s fund for teachers have already frozen or divested their holdings in guns, and California’s fund for other public workers, known as Calpers, is expected to take up the issue in February. Massachusetts Treasurer Steve Grossman has also directed the state pension fund to review any investments in gun, ammunition, and other companies. New York City’s public advocate has put pressure on banks and investment firms by ranking their gun holdings by size and calling those with the 12 biggest stakes the Dirty Dozen.

‘‘Elected leaders understand that this is a tool of government with huge ramifications,’’ said the public advocate, Bill de Blasio, who is a trustee of the city’s $45 billion pension fund. ‘‘What happened in Newtown sort of crystallized this.’’ Snip>

Link

This is complete blackmail. Trust and believe that banks and financial institutions across this country are going to be falling in lockstep behind this administrations push to support the coming gun ban that has been proposed in the senate. Or maybe it is the other way around?? We saw how the banks conspired with the FBI to target the Occupy Movement.

I hate to say it ATS but this gun ban WILL pass. The MSM (a government arm) is on board as well. Get ready for the big push and the daily, "According to a recent poll, 71% of Americans surveyed support the proposed bill". They are going to get this legislation and not a dang thing any one of us can do about it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Welcome to a world where the government tells you what you can and cant spend money on.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It cannot be any more clear folks. This gun-control agenda of current is about DISARMING the American public and nothing to do with "saving" or "protecting" children.

How much more clear does this assault against the American law-abiding citizens need to be?

Now if they used a fraction of these sly clever tactics on protecting our children, can you imagine what they could achieve?

The agenda is clear...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If you haven't already started hiding the six-shooter in a metal lunchbox out back under some dirt~ Ya might wanna start.

I keep seeing these gun threads.... What's the bottome line? Go buy a gun and stay under radar as much as possible so if SHTF you can readily defend yourself or family~or die tryin.

If someone is that scared or threatened by there government of institionlization. Then prep. at least so you can throw some lead back if something were to go curtail~

Thank you for the OP as I do live in Chicago and did not get a chance to read this article.

These are scary times we live, tread cautiously and if your going to stand. Stand in your own integrity, the truth that resinates within.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
are we starting to figure it out yet?

democrats are tyrants, all of them.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ResistTreason

I'd actually go one step further than saying it's about disarming and not saving lives. I don't think it's even about disarming to the extent they publicly talk about. 270+ Million firearms would take a generation or two or ten to fully remove if it started today and the vast majority were in complete support of the move. Well, it's not starting at that level and likely won't to that extreme...and the current measures have far from majority support I've seen ANY poll indicate for fair representation. The one poll that can't lie ....sales numbers...show it's a VERY strong "NO!" to what they want.

I think it's about disarming whoever they can while they're at it ...but primarily to drive a wedge deeper and deeper between right and left Americans on Main St. until we're to the point of fist fights right in the middle of Main St. itself. Normal, average citizens so pissed and polarized, we couldn't work together if aliens landed and said they were going to eat us. It would STILL be seen as a right/left issue to fight over....while they had dinner.

^^ That's what I'm coming to think the true agenda is here and as much as Democrats are leading the charge among Politicians? Where precisely are the Republicans standing equally tall to voice clear and complete opposition? There are a couple....to be fair. A couple..out of over 500 in Congress alone and among the state houses in New York, Illinois and California? There ARE a few repubs there I think....crickets chirp.

We're being played. Both sides.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Looks like Emanuel and Bloomberg are playing a game of oneupsmanship on who can be be the biggest little tyrant of their cities.

edit on 25-1-2013 by 11235813213455 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Come and get'em...Barrel First !!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 11235813213455

They probably got a dollar bet going on it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yeah it is blackmail, and I want to know who the hell are they "polling" ?

They make up their own facts, and they make up their own "polls".

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Yeah it is blackmail, and I want to know who the hell are they "polling" ?

They make up their own facts, and they make up their own "polls".

Or they have kids running the show.
cnsnews.com...
This is the same state that said the loop where you put your sling on a rifle is ACTUALLY not a sling loop at all, in fact in Chicago the grenade launcher and bayonet go there.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe I should hit up the weaponry forum because I have spent the last 20 min trying to get my bayonet where the sling goes, maybe those guys have a trick or something.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Wow, and I thought the barrel shroud debauchle was bad.....

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Wow, and I thought the barrel shroud debauchle was bad.....

Yeah, now some idiot is going to end up cutting his hands up trying to get a bayonet in that little hole.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

I believe this is more about the fact that the gov't has no money, the currency war, and the fact that we don't have the "gold reserve" that other countries want back.

The elites are getting frightened. The charade is growing thin. The agencies have been stockpiling ammo and weapons, because there is going to be food riots, no gov't checks going out, worthless dollars.

They're scared..... looting in the "rich" suburds...... after all the criminals have shot eachother over big=screen t.v.'s and sneakers.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Nah, their "bans" are really just a joke. Many of the guns that are "assault rifles" are easily modified into non-assault rifles, with no alteration of how the gun actually operates.
Tust me, even if they ban it down to muskets- the bubbas of the gun world are going to figure out a way to make a semi auto musket that is within the law.

Like this, the evil AR15. Change the stock and add a tiny button to detach the magazine and now it is a good sporting rifle.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Think police brutality is bad now?
...just wait until they become part of the chosen few that are allowed to carry.
Their sense of superiority will be taken to a whole new level.

The Second Amendment has been around for generations and we've never had a so called "problem" before.

There was a time when we were able to let our children go out, let them cross the street by themselves and even stay out all day. We were even able to leave our doors and windows unlocked all night, also with no worries.
We can't do that anymore.
In many cases, these are the same doors and windows, yet these same doors and windows must now be locked!

So what's changed?
Obviously, it's the upbringing of our children that has changed.
It's not the guns, it's the human and social psyche that has changed.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Looking at it from a slightly different angle, it seems that we can get rid of the idea that the banks are controlling the government. Apparently it's the other way around. So now, who are TPTB, the Illuminati, the NWO architects? Emmanuel, Clinton and Obama?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Just wait till these arms companies stop selling to these cities law-enforcement agencies
Barret did that to link CA. Seeing how fire arms manufacture is a huge industry and despite their claims to the contrary the gov't needs said manufactures or they arm their cops and military with slingshots.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

That is an excellent idea. I hope all gun and bullet manufacturers follow suit. It would be downright hilarious. They have to also not sell to the FBI, secret service, and such agencies as well for it to have a real impact though.
edit on Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:58:55 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The common ground is that most americans don't want want gun banning or new laws even though the politicians say otherwise. They need to be told to shut the hell up and then they need to BE shut the hell up( kicked out of office).
Now the imbecile in chief is saying he shoots guns all the time, what a lying POS.

new topics

top topics

join