It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spartacus: War of the Damned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm real big on the Roman Empire so this show naturally peaked my interest. This is the last season and the first episode premiers tonight. You can actually watch the first episode free on the official website here.

For those who don't know, there have been 3 seasons (2 seasons and a prequel) and the show is based on the story of Spartacus... slave turned gladiator turned enemy of the Roman Republic. Very good show in my opinion, but the show is (rightfully so) rated mature.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Ohh....given i live in blighty i'll either have to be a naughty guy or wait till i'm about 10 years older before it shows here

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

For the record, I thought the new episode was very good

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Also, here is something that seems very interesting. I always thought it odd that Starz would cancel it's most successful series. This may be the answer:

After ‘Spartacus’ Ends, There’s a Chance Caesar May Take His Place

The posters for “Spartacus: War of the Damned” promise that the newest batch of episodes will take viewers to the bitter end. But at last night’s premiere for the final season of the series, “Spartacus” creator Steven S. DeKnight was already thinking about the future.

DeKnight told Speakeasy that some preliminary talks are already underway to possibly spinoff a series focusing on Gaius Julius Caesar, who in “Spartacus” is played by Australian actor Todd Lasance. “It’s in the early conversations of a possibility. Rob Tapert, my producing partner and I, we love this world we’ve created together, and we would love to spin it off in some direction with the same style and the same feel as the show. Caesar is definitely a strong possibility.”

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have just started watching the first episode of the final season and will post my thought about it hear.
I have seen the first two seasons and was eagerly awaiting this one. My main thoughts about this and all the seasons is I hope they are as true as possible to the story of Spartacus. I was aware they were going to be bringing Ceasar into the mix. However Ceasar did not fight Spartacus. Ceasar was a general, politician, and dictator. So as far as having his own show goes that very well might happen and it might work.
This is also going to be a very brutal and gory season. The commander who brought down Spartacus, Marcus Licinius Crassus, used brutal discipline, bringing back unit decimation. I am not looking forward to that episode.

I will post my thoughts on the first episode when I have finished watching it.
Peace out.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

People are saying that this route has been tried before with HBO's Rome which was canceled (though imo a very good show in it's own right). So it really still is up in the air right now. As for Caesar not directly facing Spartacus, I believe he did have something to do with Crassus and this show has always tried to stay historically accurate.

I hope you enjoy it. I thought the first episode was very well done.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Heisenberg59

Just got done with it. What I thought was true, it was very gory, I am expecting they all will be. Frankly I thought this one was more fake then the other two seasons.
as to Ceasar I am sure he had his hand in some where since it was a general and a politician. Although at this date I don't think he had that much power.
They are really building up Marcus in terms of character. He is new on the show so I guess they got to, and in the end we know he will be the one still standing.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Surprised no one else has posted yet. I have always said I hope they keep as true as possible to Spartacus. In the episode they talked about the need to take a city which they did. His ranks did greatly swell so that part is true to the story. I do not know if the taking of the city was or not. He did also free a lot of slaves so I am glad they are showing that also. Overall it was still a good episode. They are showing Spartacus to have a good mind and showing tactics for the battles he chooses. Will be interesting to see what he does with the city.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
About the best thing I can say about the last episode is that the seeds of detect and betrayal are now there. Spartacus will be meeting up with that pirate again, and he will be betrayed again. As far as the captured Romans in the city go I am sure there will be betrayal there also.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I'm amazed this series gets so little attention... might be because the op looks to be banned lol.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bacardi

Did not notice the op was banned. I do like the series though. I am a little discussed that they seem to be butchering the story in a few to many ways. All the same I am still liking it.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Yea Caesar really has no place in this story. It seems forced.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
No he really does not. Also Spartacus did not take a walled city from what I have read. When his ranks swelled as much as the did he increased his raiding territory.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Just wanted to add the way they are playing up the character of Ceaser I have a feelign they are planning a series about Ceaser also.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Just in case anybody is still reading this I would like to say that despite the historical inaccuracies and the Hollywood political filler that was put into this series I did like the last episode. In my opinion I think they finely showed Spartacus as being a tactician and that he did free a lot of slaves. Also that his body was not found. I liked his last words also.

new topics

top topics

join