Atlantis Found: For Real?

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
As Atlantis seems a popular topic at present I thought I would share some information for those it's passed by or for those that haven't come across this information yet.

From all of the information regarding Atlantis, the following theory is, in my opinion, the best and with all the mystery surrounding this place.... maybe reality is not as sensational.

Please watch this video, for those that don't want to watch the full hour please go to 23:50 for at least one compelling piece of evidence.

BBC Documentary - Atlantis: The Evidence



Historian Bettany Hughes examines The Minoan eruption of Thera, which was a major catastrophic volcanic eruption estimated to have occurred in the mid-second millennium BC. The eruption was one of the largest volcanic events on Earth in recorded history. The eruption devastated the island of Thera (also called Santorini), including the Minoan settlement at Akrotiri, as well as communities and agricultural areas on nearby islands and on the coast of Crete.
The eruption seems to have inspired certain Greek myths and may have also caused turmoil in Egypt. Additionally, it has been speculated that the Minoan eruption and the destruction of the city at Akrotiri provided the basis for or otherwise inspired Plato's story of Atlantis.


I think this is the most likely resting place of Atlantis.... what say you ATS?




posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
the great land known as atlantis
lies submerged of the coust of the republic of ireland



posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Every unknown structure in the sea is Atlantis. Every unknown rock in the sky is Nibiru.

A never ending chase.



posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
Every unknown structure in the sea is Atlantis. Every unknown rock in the sky is Nibiru.

A never ending chase.


For me the chase has ended at least, sometimes that happens when you chase something.

Xszawe, I'm aware of that theory but I still favour this one, I think the evidence of it being close to Crete is more compelling than that of any other, the connections are stronger in my opinion, the Irish theory seems too fantastical to me.



posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Not sure if i believe it or not.
Although everyone thought troy to be a myth until they found it.

We never know what can be dug up or discovered at any time.

I look forward to future discovories.



posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish
 


That's a thread talking about a different Atlantis location.

Seeing as it's discovered somewhere else in the world every few weeks...



posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Seems to me that Plato said it was "beyond the pillars of Hercules" (the Straight of Gibralter, which opens into the Atlantic Ocean). The eastern Mediterranean Sea is in the wrong direction.

There may have been another civilization (Minoan), just as advanced, and that is what I believe is found in the video.

JMHO.



posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus
 


It's a good point but consider what's being said in the video between 5:30 and 6:40.

Plato used stories of real places of wonder and combined them, embellished them and wrote about them. I believe that Plato based Atlantis on the examples of wonder around him and added some fiction to make this place even more amazing.

Plato wasn't a historian, he wanted his work to be seen, what better way?

I think the leap you have to take to believe this is less than any leap you have to make with other theories. To take the leap in believing Plato made Atlantis more amazing by making it seem far far away into the unknown("beyond the pillars of Hercules" (the Straight of Gibralter, which opens into the Atlantic Ocean)) is easy when you consider what Plato's agenda was.

All of the connections being made in the documentary can't be ignored when compared to other theories, many of Plato's descriptions do tie in with this area, I'm sure more than any other location being claimed as Atlantis... surely?
edit on 24-1-2013 by RiverRunsFree because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiverRunsFree
As Atlantis seems a popular topic at present I thought I would share some information for those it's passed by or for those that haven't come across this information yet.

From all of the information regarding Atlantis, the following theory is, in my opinion, the best and with all the mystery surrounding this place.... maybe reality is not as sensational.

Please watch this video, for those that don't want to watch the full hour please go to 23:50 for at least one compelling piece of evidence.

BBC Documentary - Atlantis: The Evidence



Historian Bettany Hughes examines The Minoan eruption of Thera, which was a major catastrophic volcanic eruption estimated to have occurred in the mid-second millennium BC. The eruption was one of the largest volcanic events on Earth in recorded history. The eruption devastated the island of Thera (also called Santorini), including the Minoan settlement at Akrotiri, as well as communities and agricultural areas on nearby islands and on the coast of Crete.
The eruption seems to have inspired certain Greek myths and may have also caused turmoil in Egypt. Additionally, it has been speculated that the Minoan eruption and the destruction of the city at Akrotiri provided the basis for or otherwise inspired Plato's story of Atlantis.


I think this is the most likely resting place of Atlantis.... what say you ATS?



Hi
Yes they are correct, the prototype for Plato's Atlantis is the minoan capital of Akrotiri on Thera.
In spite of all the Bla Bla about Atlantis not existing and rediculous assertions made that Atlantis is in the Atlantic of was neolithic Japan or its south America, that's all hogwash.

First B. Jowett's translation of the Plato's work is over a hundred years old and was made with a incomplete understanding of classical Greek.
Newer translations have made a few minor but important changes, the biggest is the ambiguity of the statement about Atlantis lying beyond the pillars of Hercules. A newer and more complete understanding of classic Greek shows that in the original text, there is an ambiguity to the statement and could be taken as two different meanings.
The first the statement could mean that Atlantis lies IN THE DIRECTION OF THE PILLARS OF HERCULES, which is consistent with how the classical Greeks described directions, as they didn't use compass heading of north south ect. but described a location in terms of a known landmark, ie the pillars of Hercules,,and for the classical Greeks anything to the west was " in the direction of the pillars of Hercules".
Secondly the aforementioned statement, could be taken as that their empire extended beyond the pillars of Hercules, which the minoan trade "empire" did , they had outpost as far as the Atlantic Iberian coast, Portugal to be exact.
So taken either way it is an accurate description of The Minoan "empire". I am using the term " empire" because it wasn't so much an empire in the classic sense of political control of a large area as it was a trade association, very much like the Hanseatic league of northern europe. The minoans controlled the trade of copper and tin and bronze into the eastern med.
With their outposts in Iberia and possibly as far north as Britain and Ireland, and as far east as anatolia, the size of their "empire" fills the bill of "greater than all of Asia minor" statment in the dialogues.

The minoans were so instrumental in the flow of bronze and its constituent ingredients, that after the eruption
and the flow of bronze stopped, Mediterranean civilization collapsed, and didn't recover for centuries.
Then there is the description of the actual harbor of the Atlantean city, concentric rings of canals and harbors
around a central island, which is exactly what the harbor in the ancient caldera at thera looked like
There was a small central island surrounded by several concentric ring islets that were connected by causeways, with a large main canal connecting the main harbor to the bay of the caldera.
We know this because its depicted on a fresco found in akrotiri.
Plato says that the atlanteans piped hot and cold water from springs into their houses, just as the minoans did at akrotiri. They piped water from hotsprings into their buildings as well a cool fresh spring water. They used flush toilets.
By the time of the eruption the people who were then the minoans has been trading with the Egyptians for several thousand years. When they stopped coming after the eruption it became the stuff of legend.
The overall impact of the eruption on the med was devastating, it threw the entire region into turmoil, and set the stage for the invasions of the sea people and the hyksos and the phllistines.
When the mycenean Greeks got to thera just sixty years after the eruption they had no clue as to what was burried under a hundred feet of ash on that barren and lifeless island.
edit on 25-1-2013 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10
 


That's a great post, thank you for contributing.

Isn't it funny how a logical theory on Atlantis gains little attention, in fact, posts that are sarcastic and negative with no point or debate are popular and factual posts are not. I think this says a lot about the people who come here.

If the information is not magical and made up... it's not worth looking at. Deny what again?

Well judging by the lack of debunking going on here I think I'm going to put this conspiracy down as solved.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
They just found Atlantis in the deep waters off of Cuba!

The one in the Med must have been the Atlantean tourist destination!



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiverRunsFree
reply to post by punkinworks10
 


That's a great post, thank you for contributing.

Isn't it funny how a logical theory on Atlantis gains little attention, in fact, posts that are sarcastic and negative with no point or debate are popular and factual posts are not. I think this says a lot about the people who come here.

If the information is not magical and made up... it's not worth looking at. Deny what again?

Well judging by the lack of debunking going on here I think I'm going to put this conspiracy down as solved.


Very true, but still the fact remains it still no more than a theory compared to the rest, the reason it is easily accepted is because it fits in with logic.

This provides no more evidence than a sunk city actually in the ocean, therefore it will always remain just a theory to discount anybody elses theory because this one has logic is just as ignorant as them saying this theory cannot be true either.

End of the day Atlantis will always be a myth shrouded under mystery untill a city is found that cleary says it is called Atlantis.

Besides using your logic of Plato using stories of this to come up with the basis of Atlantis how do you know he didn't using another city that actually did sink in the sea as his base? We don't I mean did this city actually end up under water?



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree
 


The problem with the Thera angle is that the Greeks knew of the Minoan civilization and Plato would not therefore have referred to them as Atlantis, rather as Minoan.

I personally subscribe to the Atlantis as allegory theory. However, if it truly was a real place then it most certainly pre dates Thera.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by RiverRunsFree
 


The problem with the Thera angle is that the Greeks knew of the Minoan civilization and Plato would not therefore have referred to them as Atlantis, rather as Minoan.

I personally subscribe to the Atlantis as allegory theory. However, if it truly was a real place then it most certainly pre dates Thera.


Exactly, I didn't want to write that in but didn't the Greeks actually conquer what ever was left of Minoans? I think it was Mycenae, even Homer mentioned them.

I think the real idea that Plato used this them as a base was because of how the Egyptians described it, but Atlantis by Platos account would have been hit by a tsunami not be the cause of it .



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparta
 


For me, the exciting thing is if it is actually a real place. It would make it Neolithic - and would therefore be the most truly amazing archeological discovery of all time. Mind you though, it may be a let down in the sense it would provide more questions than answers!

As such, if it is ever found, it will be wall to wall MSM, not (interesting but still) pseudo archeology documentaries that disseminate the information.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparta
 


I disagree, did you watch the documentary in the OP because there is more evidence in this than any provided for all other theories put together.... as well as fitting logic of course.

This is why I favour this theory to others too, because of the evidence provided in the doumentary (called - Atlantis: The Evidence).


to discount anybody elses theory because this one has logic is just as ignorant as them saying this theory cannot be true either.


Really??? this statement doesn't make sense, if this theory has logic why wouldn't I discount others? why would I favour a less logical one? add to that the evidence provided and I fail to understand your point of view, which of course you are entitled to.... but compare all the theories out there and tell me which one makes sense and which one has the most evidence.


edit on 25-1-2013 by II HAL II because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by II HAL II
reply to post by Sparta
 


I disagree, did you watch the documentary in the OP because there is more evidence in this than any provided for all other theories put together.... as well as fitting logic of course.

This is why I favour this theory to others, because of the evidence provided in the doumentary (called - Atlantis: The Evidence).


to discount anybody elses theory because this one has logic is just as ignorant as them saying this theory cannot be true either.


Really??? this statement doesn't make sense, if this theory has logic why wouldn't I discount others? why would I favour a less logical one? add to that the evidence provided and I fail to understand your point of view, which of course you are entitled to.... but compare all the theories out there and tell me which one makes sense and which one has the most evidence.




No I didn't need too I've studied Minoan culture and watched an additional 4 programs on the subject of it being Atlantis.

Because logic doesn't mean for proof of the subject, it just means it has it's points which are valid (and also could be false) towards the argument, just because something is logical does not make it true, somebody could be logical towards the theory of how the universe was created for example, but it does make it true.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II
 


I watched the full documentary when it originally aired late last year and also when it was repeated the other week on BBC4. Along with a myriad other other documentaries.

And none of them can challenge the very simple notion that i mentioned originally, earlier on in this thread. Which is that Greek society knew of the Minoan society and had dealings with Minoan society. Therefore they would have been described as Minoan by Plato, not Atlantean. There is no way around this glaring fact, unfortunately.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparta
 


Of course it doesn't make it true.... I don't think anyone is saying this is 100% fact, but logic and evidence point to this theory over others, without the concrete, 100% answer, we will never know 100%... but you can lean to one idea over another, can you not?

There is a very good chance this is the place and for me that is enough, for others they prefer fantasy, what's your take on Atlantis then? if not here, do you have any ideas where?





new topics
top topics
 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join