It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I may have logically theorized there is an afterlife

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm a longtime lurker of this forum and today as I was talking about religion with one of my friends. I had come up with what seemed like a pretty solid theory. I felt it was important enough to not only search the forums for a similar theory, but to also spend an hour or so on the forums replying to threads I have previously read.

The law of conservation of mass, states that the mass of an isolated system will remain constant over time. Matter in the universe never just disappears completely. Mass can neither be created nor destroyed, although it may be rearranged in space and changed into different types of particles. Basically, it can change states, become another form of matter, or become a form of energy and does not disappear into nothing. I believe that consciousness/soul/spirit follows the same principal after it is released from our bodies.

What are your thoughts?
edit on 21-1-2013 by VinceGG because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I guess the question to ask is does "the soul" have mass?...and is it a form of "energy"?...otherwise the logic may not hold true.

edit on 21-1-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

link   
We are made of carbon, along with everything else in the (known) universe. I believe that when we die we are assimilated back into that, ready to be reused as the universe sees fit.

I guess that recycling could be construed as an afterlife.

link   
I think it goes six feet under.

Cool theory though.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by VinceGG

Keep going, you're train of thought is on the right track.

When our cars stop working, we repair them until the main parts finally give out....then we get a new vehicle.

When our bodies stop working, we repair them until the main parts finally give out..... then we get a new body.

Fractals... the math of the universe.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

lol nice...

Cars don't work without a driver right?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

lol nice...

They sure can't.

I like to play role playing video games, I make an avatar that looks like me, then I sit there and animate the video game avatar with my personality and emotions in the game. Sometimes I play another game within that game, it's like holding a mirror up to another mirror and seeing repeating fractals of the same patterns repeating itself.... good stuff.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

lol nice...

mind blown

the body is the vessel and the soul is the driver

link   
reply to post by VinceGG

Your brain decays just like your body.

When i toss a CD in the fire the information on the CD isnt magicaly stored somewhere in a alternate plane of reality.

link   
reply to post by VinceGG

I believe that consciousness/soul/spirit follows the same principal after it is released from our bodies.

Mustn't something first exist before physics can apply to it?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to

lol nice...

mind blown

the body is the vessel and the soul is the driver

The body is just meat without the spirit within...

Who are you?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Nothing lasts, yet nothing is lost. Simply put, death is just a transition into a different form of being. The consciousness cannot die because it is not physical.
edit on 21-1-2013 by DestroyDestroyDestroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
You all bring up valid points
However when you think of life itself, in almost every religion there are two parts to life and they are the body and consciousness/soul/spirit/mind or whatever you want to call it. That part of you does no take up mass however in your life, your mind and consciousness is the only thing that IS real. It is the essence of life. Without it, you would be no different than a rock or a blade of grass. By some miracle or sting of events, we have consciousness and the ability to think and make sense of the world around us. I believe you can loosely translate consciousness to a from of "energy", much like different energies you feel during meditation etc. Once our body decays and goes back to the Earth where it came, It only makes sense that the "energy" that is our consciousness returns to the universe from where it came

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by VinceGG

When i toss a CD in the fire the information on the CD isnt magicaly stored somewhere in a alternate plane of reality.

But brain function is separate from consciousness; there are countless cases of people in comas and brain-death retaining their ability to think and having out of body experiences. The brain is like a control panel for consciousness, it relays our commands to the rest of the body, kind of like a control deck on a robot.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This has already been proposed & theorized countless times. Personally I don't think there's a direct correlation between the law of conversation of mass & consciousness. I do believe there is something more to consciousness than confined physical systems, but so far as we know it's the physical system that retains individual egos & memories. So although your consciousness may go somewhere else after death --- i.e re-manifesting/reincarnating, or "ascending" up a dimension --- you may not remember any of the experiences of former lives.

I think a good point to make is that experiencing is what gives "purpose" to the universe; 'we are a way for the universe to know itself' is a quote that comes to mind. There cannot be such a thing as existence eternally absent of experience.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by VinceGG

Yep, valid point
And until the brain is proven to be a radio moreso than a CD, then it is the only understanding we can physically have at this point.

There is some work done on the radio V recording brain..but all hypothetical at this point.

So ya..don't crash the car just yet I guess is the moral of the story.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by VinceGG
Mass can neither be created nor destroyed, although it may be rearranged in space and changed into different types of particles. Basically, it can change states, become another form of matter, or become a form of energy and it does not just disappear into nothing. I believe that consciousness/soul/spirit follows the same principal after it is released from our bodies.

What are your thoughts?

Consciousness is a construct made out of matter/energy, not the matter/energy itself. It's like a house of cards. While it's standing there, it's a structure, a thing. But when you knock it down, the structure is gone, it ceases to exist, even though the components might remain. And there is no law of conservation concerning constructs. They can easily vanish into chaos and non-existence. A brilliantly detailed snowflake can melt away into a drop of water. Consciousness equals the snowflake, not the water.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Just to play devils advocate for a moment, if consciousness simply dissipates upon death...
Then what is a ghost?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Just to play devils advocate for a moment, if consciousness simply dissipates upon death...
Then what is a ghost?

Show me one. Not just some fuzzy video or photo, or garbled EVP, either. Present me with a proven "ghost" and I'll tell you what it is.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join