It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sore/Burning Fingertips using Glass-Faced Tablets

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Unrealised

I have never experienced this, and as an IT Network Technician I can be pretty safe in saying I have used a wide variety of products that use the original Gorilla Glass and the newer Gorilla Glass II. It's not in the screen. If anything it may be that there is something wrong with the device and the Digitizer (the part that reacts to touch) may be acting up or you are so extremely sensitive to electricity that it hurts your skin.

Though I have never heard of a personal case of this, I have read studies that prove Redheads/Gingers are exponentially more affected by electric current than anyone else. Are you a redhead? lol

Regards.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: yampa
Might i suggest lubricating the screen of your tablet? A nice layer of diesel oil, butter or KY jelly should see your finger pain woes vanish easily!

DO NOT do this.

1. It will be extremely hard to get off
2. It may get into the small openings and since oil is an extremely good conductor, it could short-circuit your device
3. Extremely reduces the sensitivity of most screens.

I would not recommend this. It makes sense -almost- in a "logic" sort of way, but in reality it can certainly do more harm than good.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Yes it can be in the screen, imo. There is (at least used to be) aluminosilicate in GG and if you suffer from metal sensitivity this could be a potential source of the problem.

Also, now the newly implemented use of silver could be a trigger. Certain metals cause tremendous burning on my skin, especially after prolonged exposure. (Same reaction to piercings and even accidental/negligent use of surgical staples. My skin BURNS).

Something to look into but honestly...most people will look at you as though you're nuts. Its also deeply impossible to find further discussion on this subject.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I get this alot. I use a Samsung Note4 and even though it has a stylus its not always the best or fastest way to use.

I'm a gamer and with a lot of games coming to Google play I have about 5 MMO style games on my phone. Not all work with a stylus. Even using social media apps like line, whatsapp, facebook, kik and snapchat can cause the pain.

The only thing that I've been doing is taking ibuprofen because it feels like it shoots up my fingrr into my arm when I use my finger. With more and more communication being done through phones I'm sure this will become more of an issue. For now its best to try to use the stylus and microphone as much as possible and save your finger for gaming. Although sometimes it can draw looks from easedroppers and can be annoying to those around you like those damn NexTel or Boost Mobile phones that people used to yell into and chirp every time someone talked.

I'm interested to see what some doctors on this site say so maybe this is really more of a medical question and the mods should move it?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: scghst1

Coincidentally, I also have a Note 4.

I suspect the device isn't the problem, however. Many years of swipe devices with absolutely no problems lead me to conclude this.

Recently, I decided to put a case on my device & the case came with a clear plastic Screen Cover. I had grown weary of constantly de-smudging my phone & decided to apply the screen protector. That was a little over 2 months ago. No more smudges, but I have began to notice a tingly, stinging sensation on the pad of my "swipe" finger. When I touch the affected finger with another finger, it feels rough, not smooth the way each of my other fingers feel. It's like a callus (or something) may be gradually building.

I suspect the cheaply manufactured screen protector in at least my situation.

I strongly agree that this topic deserves to be moved from this forum, to another forum where it may be taken a bit more seriously.

Conspiracy? I sincerely, Think NOT.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Anything new. I'm experimenting with a couple things, but if there are any new ideas I would like to include them before I give a final opinion.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is interesting. I’ve been lurking for a long time but I just joined tonight.
I was searching for another subject but I came across this thread and I have the same issue. I have an iPhone 8+ that I got back in March, I’m more used to a laptop but I’ve been using the phone more and more. About three weeks or so ago I noticed that my index finger was sore from about the last half of the fingertip pad. I figured I had injured it and didn’t know it at the time. However, from the posts here I’m beginning to wonder. My phone has a screen guard but it’s one of the thin flexible ones not glass.
I also play guitar and the fingertip feels like my left hand fingertips when I play too much.
I can’t add anything else to the discussion but I’ll do so more research and report back if I find anything useful.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Hi, I have this weirdo thing too!!.
I only recently began to link everything together, the stinging pain and the phone screen. I have Samsung edge, steady and appropriate charger, electric socket and the electricity is perfect, and the phone itself-;immaculate. It's a stinging, super sensitive, really hot (not just from my perspective, fingers get really hot to the touch of observers too and strangely... a definite faint electric buzzing/tingling feeling, within 2 minutes of using any glass phone/tablet screen. It sounds totally made up and neurotic but it's how it is. I can deal with it fine as I'm not too fussed about technology so happy to put it down.
It must mean something tho. I'm wondering if I'm sensitive to (and developing what I can only describe as an allergy or intolerance) of the physical handling of high output EM devices. So yeh. There's that.
Gods! I can just hear the trolls cackling with glee at this, and sure I get that. But it's the strangest thing...
Leads me to a thought though and that is that they (smart devices) cant be at all good for us or even worse- young ones!
Not if it can feel like this within 2 minutes of contact. No it's not a friction thing. It's been tested extremely thoroughly and observed to respond uniquely to only screens with 100% every single time I touch it.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I have high sensitivity to this as well. It seems very few people experience this and a lot of people think we're just full of crap. When I scroll on my phone I have to constantly be switching fingers because the tip of each becomes too painful to touch in a matter of seconds. Also, I cannot keep my phone in my back pocket or too close to my body as I will feel it start to burn the skin there. There is absolutely no way I'm holding this thing up to my ear for a conversation. I'd really like to understand more about this. Were you able to find any further information or others who this happens to?

a reply to: AAguest

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I have had this for around 3 years, starting on my right hand but now on both hands and all fingers and thumbs. After much research it seems that the term to describe it is atrophy of the finger pulp. It seems to be connected to possibly neuralgia, problem with arteries/veins and or lungs.

Lots of people with autoimmune problems, or anything that effects the amount of oxygen that is carried around the body seem to experience this.

Hopefully it won't take me three more years to find an answer to come back with.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AAguest

I found this site when on Google looking for answers; why my fingertips burn when using oppo r17 mobile phone

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Man you learn something everyday it seems:

Conclusions: Case reports of mobile phone-associated ACD have risen rapidly in number since 2000. Case reports highlight mobile phone ACD in both pediatric and adult populations in many countries. Metal allergens, notably nickel and chromium, were frequently implicated in mobile phone associated ACD. Nickel release from mobile phones appears to be common and has been reported in both cheap and expensive mobile phones, including phones covered under the EU Nickel Directive.Mobile Phone Dermatitis in Children and Adults: A Review of the Literature

as aluzi noted it may be the metals in the phone

edit on 10/23/19 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2021 @ 10:36 PM
link   

My wife and I are both sensitive to the charge coming off of capacitive touch screens. anti-Electrostatic gloves help, mesh tipped stylis' work - but most are metal so the charge still somewhat reaches my finger and still starts to hurt. Plastic stylis' w/mesh tip work but it takes like two presses for everything so that is kinda useless. We naturally have electricity running through us and all these electronics (I own an electronics company) are not being designed in a way that takes this into consideration, this is being ignored, ridiculed (easiest way to obscure truth) and unfortunately if the manufactures know about these things they are not fessing up. Thank for your question.

posted on Sep, 6 2021 @ 10:36 PM
link   
My wife and I are both sensitive to the charge coming off of capacitive touch screens. anti-Electrostatic gloves help, mesh tipped stylis' work - but most are metal so the charge still somewhat reaches my finger and still starts to hurt. Plastic stylis' w/mesh tip work but it takes like two presses for everything so that is kinda useless. We naturally have electricity running through us and all these electronics (I own an electronics company) are not being designed in a way that takes this into consideration, this is being ignored, ridiculed (easiest way to obscure truth) and unfortunately if the manufactures know about these things they are not fessing up. Thank for your question.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join