I want to become a freemason

page: 1
3

log in

join

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I've been reading and studying it for some time now, and it really appeals to me.
I think I would fit quite well there.
I am not the best at socializing with people, do not have many friends, and I have always been the outcast type.

But I think such a brotherhood would do me well, as it would give me the oppertunity socialize with people whom are like me.
I've looked at their stance on things and I agree with them.
I think every person should seek his own truth, and that it's is his or her right to do so. But that one should not force his or her truth one others. I also think everyone should help the brotherhood and society, sharing their own skills and contribute what they can. I think that we must continue to grow through out life reaching a higher state of mind and consciousness, and that we must all help to build a better world and contribute to the progress of humanity.

I got some questions for the freemasons here,

How is it to be a freemason? How many times do you visit your lodge? What do you do when you all come together? And whats the purpose of the rituals?

Could you tell me how it changed your life by joining freemasonry?




posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Becoming a Freemason is not hard at all, just go to a local lodge and ask about the requirements.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
A lot of hype.. but nothing special really, 20 years ago the masons had something to say regarding local city policy.. today its just a men's club dedicated to mutual assistance, self-improvement and good works.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider
A lot of hype.. but nothing special really, 20 years ago the masons had something to say regarding local city policy.. today its just a men's club dedicated to mutual assistance, self-improvement and good works.


... I can't help but think that's their greatest success too. Putting out that facade and image.


I'm not among the crowd who sees the Masons as being nefarious or evil. I wish I'd know this in his life but I learned after his death that my Grandfather had reached the top of that organization ...and sadly, that seems about all I'll ever really know too.

However, there is something to be said about the origins of the Masons, what supported and started their number and what happened to it all.


The first National Treasure movie probably has more truth than some are comfortable with for how it ended, if truth be known. A GREAT % of world treasures and objects of incalculable value were entrusted to certain groups over the years of deep history ..and have never resurfaced. They haven't simply vanished to be sure. Someone still has control of a degree of wealth in REAL and not digital form that would leave most of us slack jawed and just unable to form words if we were to see it in one place and at one time.

Who still exists...to have become the modern descendants of those organizations of old? Not many to choose from ..and fewer that still hold integrity as a value worth keeping, IMO.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3
 


Your first instinct is usually the correct one.


How is it to be a freemason? How many times do you visit your lodge? What do you do when you all come together? And whats the purpose of the rituals?


Despite the public and ATS persona you will meet some really nice people.

You have nothing to loose, and everything to gain.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by Spacespider
A lot of hype.. but nothing special really, 20 years ago the masons had something to say regarding local city policy.. today its just a men's club dedicated to mutual assistance, self-improvement and good works.

... I can't help but think that's their greatest success too. Putting out that facade and image.

I'm sorry you think it a facade.


Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'm not among the crowd who sees the Masons as being nefarious or evil. I wish I'd know this in his life but I learned after his death that my Grandfather had reached the top of that organization ...and sadly, that seems about all I'll ever really know too.

Because......?


Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
However, there is something to be said about the origins of the Masons, what supported and started their number and what happened to it all.

Perhaps you could enlighten us with what you believe that to be?


Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The first National Treasure movie probably has more truth than some are comfortable with for how it ended, if truth be known. A GREAT % of world treasures and objects of incalculable value were entrusted to certain groups over the years of deep history ..and have never resurfaced. They haven't simply vanished to be sure. Someone still has control of a degree of wealth in REAL and not digital form that would leave most of us slack jawed and just unable to form words if we were to see it in one place and at one time.

nd we Masons guard and husband it, is that your belief?


Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Who still exists...to have become the modern descendants of those organizations of old? Not many to choose from ..and fewer that still hold integrity as a value worth keeping, IMO.

Personal integrity is the only wealth of worth. It doesn't require safes or polishing and its worth is constant



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitzgibbon
 



(my quote) today its just a men's club dedicated to mutual assistance, self-improvement and good works.


That is what I was saying is a facade. "it's just". There is no question the Masonic Society does good works. In fact, that would seem to be the general focus and something I'm glad to see still exists in the world. It wasn't long ago someone was on here (no names needed) suggesting the Masons were soaking the public by the money they took in being misdirected and used for personal enrichment. I didn't have much doubt to what I'd find in debunking such a silly claim but was actually surprised by HOW baseless it was in Financials available online for a number of Lodges and their operations.


Because......?

I'm not sure which your asking here. Why I don't think they are evil or nefarious ...which I don't even rate worth a reply and hope that wasn't the point of question ...or why I figure I won't know more?

Assuming the latter, how am I supposed to learn more? The Masonic Society, by it's very nature, is a closed one. I can't do public research on who he was in that life or what he did. I have paperwork, I have the jewellery of my Gandmother (His ring was buried with him, I believe) and I have the memories of the Funeral with the Masons I didn't even know existed then and many seemed surprised to see at the service. Obviously, I wasn't the only one who didn't know. My Dad and Uncle were both in at very low levels then drifted away..again, things I've learned after my Dad's passing from his estate and paperwork. Outside of that? There would seem to be a very real point where there isn't much more for options to pursue.


(My quote) However, there is something to be said about the origins of the Masons, what supported and started their number and what happened to it all.


I'm not getting into all that. I'm no authority on this subject, as noted above, by ANY stretch. I have opinions and knowledge drawn from books and family documents I now have from inheritance and the like. Elaborating on how spotty my knowledge is, isn't terribly helpful...beyond admitting freely I'm aware it is based on opinion and things I can't verify. I'd give anything to have known or been older to be told about my Grandfather's other side. He passed as he lived in that respect. Holding his own council and whatever secrets that included.


and we Masons guard and husband it, is that your belief?


Nope. If some of what was entrusted by leaders and others over the centuries and subsequently lost IS still held today, I wouldn't see it as hoarding/controlling since...by definition...it IS of no material value. It has to be something worth/able to sell to be valuable in THAT way. Making the large assumption here that so much isn't just hopelessly destroyed or otherwise lost forever in the ether? I've always believed 'protected' and not 'hoarded' or even 'managed' would be the term. My opinions tho... Opinions it's nearly impossible to ever really know either way on.



Personal integrity is the only wealth of worth. It doesn't require safes or polishing and its worth is constant


I agree. That quality above and outside all others was the one I cited because without that, nothing in terms of holding valuable historic items or anything else that COULD be warped into personal wealth today is valid as an assumption in the first place. Integrity and in more vague terms, Honor, are the only things that would tend to KEEP such secrets for so long and to this day. Ironically, I'd say the more evil an organization, the LESS likely to maintain secrecy in any true or meaningful way. Just the way I think life and values work.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Fitzgibbon
 



Because......?

I'm not sure which your asking here. Why I don't think they are evil or nefarious ...which I don't even rate worth a reply and hope that wasn't the point of question ...or why I figure I won't know more?

Assuming the latter, how am I supposed to learn more? The Masonic Society, by it's very nature, is a closed one.

In that you are mistaken. There are many men coming to Masonry after a one or two generation (if not more) gap in their family. In my case, the gap was more than 70 years. I certainly wasn't suggesting anything more than that.


Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
My Dad and Uncle were both in at very low levels then drifted away..again, things I've learned after my Dad's passing from his estate and paperwork. Outside of that? There would seem to be a very real point where there isn't much more for options to pursue.

All I can say is that while we start off as children, learning at the knees of our fathers at some point out lives must out of necessity become our own. Your pursuits and interests may (and probably won't) be the same as your father or grandfather. From the sounds of it, your previous generation didn't find within Masonry anything that resonated with them. I can't know why that was. However, it'd be a mistake to assume that their needs and wants match yours.


Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'd give anything to have known or been older to be told about my Grandfather's other side. He passed as he lived in that respect. Holding his own council and whatever secrets that included.

Many of us go that route. It's unfortunate but sometimes a clear path is not what is intended for us. I'm sorry you too didn't have the advantage of that understanding


Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

and we Masons guard and husband it, is that your belief?

Nope. If some of what was entrusted by leaders and others over the centuries and subsequently lost IS still held today, I wouldn't see it as hoarding/controlling since...by definition...it IS of no material value. It has to be something worth/able to sell to be valuable in THAT way. Making the large assumption here that so much isn't just hopelessly destroyed or otherwise lost forever in the ether? I've always believed 'protected' and not 'hoarded' or even 'managed' would be the term. My opinions tho... Opinions it's nearly impossible to ever really know either way on.


All I can say is that what is of real worth is immaterial.


Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Personal integrity is the only wealth of worth. It doesn't require safes or polishing and its worth is constant

I agree. That quality above and outside all others was the one I cited because without that, nothing in terms of holding valuable historic items or anything else that COULD be warped into personal wealth today is valid as an assumption in the first place. Integrity and in more vague terms, Honor, are the only things that would tend to KEEP such secrets for so long and to this day. Ironically, I'd say the more evil an organization, the LESS likely to maintain secrecy in any true or meaningful way. Just the way I think life and values work.

Insofar as "secrets" are concerned, they have been freely available for nearly three centuries. The outward secrets are immaterial; the inward faith-keeping the only marker of value in the long term. We are all destined to return to God regardless of our station in life. The only thing we bring is our adherence to His Divine Will as we've understood it. Tangible riches will not change anything

Fitz



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Assuming the latter, how am I supposed to learn more? The Masonic Society, by it's very nature, is a closed one. I can't do public research on who he was in that life or what he did.


This is not correct. Last year as Master I had an inquiry from Texas by a man who was looking for information on his grandfather who was a member of my lodge at one time and died prior to his grandson's birth. I was able, by using our membership records, give him the last date he paid dues (which we determined was at his death), speak to the funeral director who handled his services who then put us in touch with some surviving members who knew him.



posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The first National Treasure movie probably has more truth than some are comfortable with for how it ended, if truth be known. A GREAT % of world treasures and objects of incalculable value were entrusted to certain groups over the years of deep history ..and have never resurfaced. They haven't simply vanished to be sure. Someone still has control of a degree of wealth in REAL and not digital form that would leave most of us slack jawed and just unable to form words if we were to see it in one place and at one time.
When something is priceless, sometimes it has no value... It's not like you could actually sell any of the stuff you're imagining. So how is it wealth?



posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton
 

Are we really to the point in this world where things without monetary and sale value hold no worth?

The Vatican as a KNOWN FACT has a massive archive located beneath Vatican City. There are threads here about it and shows on television that have been allowed to at least see the open rooms and shelves where nothing special is done for air or human contact. They keep all that.....for what? They can't really sell it... It may never be read by more than scholars and most? Never read again for that matter. Yet...enormous sums are spent in the upkeep and maintenance of the space and what's stored inside it.

That's just documents, records, logs and books from the past and deep past. Not anything of tangible dollar value they'll talk about, anyway. It's knowledge...a truly priceless wealth of knowledge. Knowledge ..among other things, are what I understand has dropped from parts of history like falling through a trap door. *poof*. Along with that went holdings of some rather well known works and items as well and a myriad of lesser known things. Thieves? Melted? some... but I'll bet not all.

What value? The value of history, heritage and knowledge. That'd be my guess, if such things exist in any one given 'set of hands'.





new topics
top topics
 
3

log in

join