It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your Bible? Your go to book and why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This is my first thread so sorry if I did anything wrong!

What book do you go to, or quote or reread often for comfort and why is it sacred to you?

For me 1984 by George Orwell is my sacred book. It terrified me yet it also gave me an appreciation for things that I hadn't really had before reading it.. Because of the book I feel more joy in being able to freely love, to be loved and to enjoy the laughter of others and the beautiful little things in life, like taking out a book and reading it or simply being able to keep a journal. Before reading 1984 I had not fully understood or appreciated just being able to be me, so this book is my Bible it brought me joy and pain and continues to do so everytime I open it up.

What is yours..and why?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

That's a great book to go to.

Mine really isn't a book...it's my journal.

I've got several poems in there that basically predicted my moms death.

So I go to it and re-read the poems over and over and ask why?

I wouldn't consider it my bible...just a go to journal.

And I know I could not have prevented my moms death...and there is no reason for me to still be asking why....but I do.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hichhikers guide to Galaxy... not really but entertaining nevertheless

Even im raised as a Christian i don´t seek verses from it unless i have made a statement and someone ask me to what i mean by that and where in Bible it says that. Theology was one of the subjects i studied before i found my thrive in art and started study it later.

I don´t believe Bible is meant to use in a way its presented to us, like all answers are there etc. Its a big book with multiple authors and sure you will find answers from it if you try but are those the right answers is up to you. As a statement, its always right, there is a risk being "brainwashed" by it. This is a case with all religious Books out there, there is so much wrong doings in the World done by following doctorines presented in these Books that has been going on for hundreds centuries pretty much proves we are not so smart as a human race.

My bible is my self conciouness, i know what is wrong and i know what is right so im saying following that gut feeling i can´t be terribly wrong. Being honest to yourself and having understanding of right and wrong how much sidetracks would you travel from these doctorines ?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
My go to book(s) would have to be The Lord of the Rings. It has a LOT of great symbolism embedded within the story. Plus, I have a soft spot for Smeagol, he's my favorite character of all time.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I have two: my dictionary and my thesaurus. I am not trying to sound pompous. I learned at a young age that finding the right words is a source of great power.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

The Holy Bible.

I see the truth in it.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Welcome to your first thread!

I hope it's not off-putting if I expand the parameters of your question -- I don't have just one "go-to" book. On my table by the computer are several:

In no particular order:

1. Alternative Cures by Bill Gottlieb
2. The Holy Bible (KJV)
3. Dare to Prepare! by Holly Deyo
4. Shotguns by Elmer Keith
5. 38th Edition of the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (older than most everyone here
)
6. Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants by George D. Pamplona-Roger
7. A Fearful Symmetry by A. Zee
8. The Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav

Probably #8 and #6 are most often referred to, and if I HAD to choose one and only one with which to walk the valley of the shadow of the death, it would be #8.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

The Bible, but I only focus on the red letters.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

The Bible is my Bible. I specifically love Romans.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Lord Of The Rings is on my list of books to read, I have heard only great things about it.

I had seen a similar question like this posted on another site and had found it interesting. I love books and any kind really. I don't think it matters what type of book that you read over and over as long as you get something out of it, that's all that matters.

Thanks to all who posted.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
Lord Of The Rings is on my list of books to read, I have heard only great things about it.

I had seen a similar question like this posted on another site and had found it interesting. I love books and any kind really. I don't think it matters what type of book that you read over and over as long as you get something out of it, that's all that matters.

Thanks to all who posted.

I highly recommend 'Flowers For Algernon' by Daniel Keyes, and 'Lamb' by Christopher Moore.
You are welcome.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yeah, the bible, but first are my compact discs with metal music.

If I had a girlfriend in the store which is like such a book, I'd buy her.
edit on 23-1-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

My go to book is called The Urantia Book. It's a 2000+ page book about God, the Universe, Jesus and how we fit into the larger plan of God.

I found this book in the early 90's after much soul searching to find out what I actually believed. I was raised Christian, but had too many unanswered questions to feel comfortable going to church once I got in my early teens. I believed in God, but couldn't agree with the version that Christianity taught fully.

After close to 10 years searching for something that rang true to me I found the Urantia Book. It's been a great journey ever since. The way it is written and the information that is relayed really resonated with me. I will admit that I was not quick to fully believe it. A guy I worked with at the time introduced me to it. I scanned over it and decided I saw enough that interested me to have a deeper look. I went to my local library and checked out the book. After a couple weeks of reading it I was sold and bought my own copy. A couple years later a audio book version was released and that is how I primarily go through it now.

It's a difficult book to describe because it is so rich with information. It really needs to be read from start to finish to fully appreciate it. Though part 4, the Jesus papers, can be read by itself and many new readers do that.

I really like it because it describes a vast, vast universe teeming with life. The way it portrays God is in a universal sense and gives full allowance for the individual to come to their own conclusions. Its not a book that says you have to believe this way or that way. It gives the individual the pleasure of discovering God for himself. It teaches that religion is personal and no two are alike. That God looks at us as individuals and not religious groups. God is no respecter of persons, races, planets or systems.

It also describes the vast array of beings God has created to run the Universe. He doesn't do it all on his own. I highly recommend it to anyone who has unanswered questions. I would be more than happy to help anyone by directing them to certain papers that may help answer those questions.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Mine would have to be the British National Formulary because it stops me killing people or others from killing people (most of the time)

new topics

top topics

join