It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia lawmaker's AK-47 sparks gun debate on House floor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I was just floored by the fact that not only did this man get away with what is illegal and that is to bring a weapon into the VA state capital building.

But was worse than that is that many of the people who commented as well as the media and the man who held the gun did not even know or delibertly lied about the gun.

While the AK-47 is fully auto with a function for semi auto is banned in the states for anyone to possess, even the AR-15 is banned because of it being an automatic weapon. But the Gun being displayed was not an AK-47 as everyone said and reported and reacted to it.

It was a semi-automatic Norinco MAK-90 w a 30 shot clip. compare the photo linked below to the one in the video of the delegate at the house in VA.

washingtonexaminer.com...

Now obviously he lied about the gun by calling it an AK-47. and it was perfectly legal for anyone to own that particular gun.

Again another looney lefty gets away with violation of the Law and everyone else goes nuts over a weapon which was not what it was claimed to be.

edit on 19-1-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChesterJohn

But was worse than that is that many of the people who commented as well as the media and the man who held the gun did not even know or delibertly lied about the gun.

Not surprising.

All prohibition is rooted in prejudice. All prejudice is rooted in ignorance.

These people have no clue what they're talking about and what's worse is that they absolutely refuse to learn anything about what they are talking about.

Ignorance is excusable. Ignorance by choice is inexcusable.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Morrissey is a well-known character in Richmond. He's gotten in fistfights with lawyers in court and a few other "interesting situations". Doesn't surprise me he would pull a publicity stunt like this. I like how another delegate asked him to remove his finger from the trigger (despite it not being loaded). Gun safety is something Morrissey is not familiar with.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Altho your post is interesting and not surprising........I have one small correction...

even the AR-15 is banned because of it being an automatic weapon

An AR-15 is not an automatic weapon.........the AR-15 Is a semi automatic weapon (like a deer rifle) with the same bullet size as a .223.........

If we ever hope to combat against these crazed leftist , you guys need to really really learn the dif in rifles and whats an assault rifle and whats not..........and whats automatic and whats not.......

Good post bud.......

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This whole story had enough wrong with it to write a whole new story about just how it was covered.

#1 it isn't the gun he claims it is.

My wife and I put that on a big screen to zoom and look at and play with a bit and it never gets better. First, that IS NOT an AK-47. It looks, near as I can tell, to be a "MAC-90" or similar Clinton-Ban Era knock off that has the competition stock to replace the traditional pistol grip purely a means to bypass the Clinton AWB restrictions by characteristic. When people like Feinstein are railing against people mod'ing a gun to make it legal outside a ban? That little stunt with the stock is one I know pisses her off. California went Ape when that first started and they fixed their little wagon for doing it in that state pretty quick!

#2 It's as unloaded as he says it is...and his behavior on other things doesn't inspire trust for this.

Next... The comment quoted in a story yesterday was that a member asked him to remove his thumb from the TRIGGER LOCK. I saw that quoted in two different places too. On a high zoom to him holding that up like a trophy or something, I can't see anything like a trigger lock. I see a magazine locked in place and I see a closed bolt.....making it impossible to KNOW if it's unloaded or not except to take HIS word for it.

Last though... as the stories were saying, this WAS legal, was it not? Multiple stories mention that the police there knew in advance what he had and was planning to do here .. and so it would appear he crossed his t's and dotted his i's like a good lawmaker should. He just doesn't know jack squat about what he's holding or how to safely handle it in the first place.

^^ Thats the largest version of the photo I could find online at the moment if anyone else wants to play with it with zooming in and out.
edit on 19-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Altho your post is interesting and not surprising........I have one small correction...

even the AR-15 is banned because of it being an automatic weapon

An AR-15 is not an automatic weapon.........the AR-15 Is a semi automatic weapon (like a deer rifle) with the same bullet size as a .223.........

If we ever hope to combat against these crazed leftist , you guys need to really really learn the dif in rifles and whats an assault rifle and whats not..........and whats automatic and whats not.......

Good post bud.......

Why is it the AR-15 is banned in the US?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

The AR-15 is not banned in the US. I believe you are thinking about the military variant which is fully automatic, designated as the M4.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karvor

The AR-15 is not banned in the US. I believe you are thinking about the military variant which is fully automatic, designated as the M4.

Then I was informed differently yesterday when debating over what type of gun it was. One poster was adamant about the AR-15 being outlawed in the US.

On a side note: In 1984 I bought a MAC-10 9mm semi-auto pistol from big-5. The first day at the range I pulled the trigger and the gun shot 3 rounds and jammed on the fourth. A off duty-police officer at the range identified himself took the gun and I was questioned by the Sheriff who was summoned to the range.

After showing I had just bought it (receipt in the box in my car) they met me a big five the next morning to return the gun and get a replacement. the gun was then confiscated by the local police dept and I never heard about it again.

To this day I wondered what happened to that gun?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Karvor

I thought you would get a kick out of this..since the topic comes up. Actually, the AR-15 IS banned, depending on the state. The new New York law goes so far as to name every single company that makes any variant of it..just to be safe...in banning them ALL. lol... That's one way to do it. California has another and it's as laughable as it is maddening to residents, I'm sure. Here is the California Flow Chart to figure out if you have a legal weapon or not....and don't worry, it a little confusing to me too.

and would ya like to see how that looks on a real world rifle? Oh this is something..... Meet the LEGAL version, or one type anyway, by California standards.

Which, naturally, led someone to make this: (Which my wife would still pay far more than is logical to own..She LIVES for pink)

What can ya say? Stupid laws invite even more stupid solutions.....and the ban(d) plays on, eh?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Then I was informed differently yesterday when debating over what type of gun it was. One poster was adamant about the AR-15 being outlawed in the US.

On a side note: In 1984 I bought a MAC-10 9mm semi-auto pistol from big-5. The first day at the range I pulled the trigger and the gun shot 3 rounds and jammed on the fourth. A off duty-police officer at the range identified himself took the gun and I was questioned by the Sheriff who was summoned to the range.

After showing I had just bought it (receipt in the box in my car) they met me a big five the next morning to return the gun and get a replacement. the gun was then confiscated by the local police dept and I never heard about it again.

Let me try to understand this...

New Ingram M-10....Pulled trigger 1 time, threee rounds came out and jammed? Or pulled the trigger three times, and fourth time, nothing happened?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Ah yes, apologies, as I live in Delaware the AR-15 automatically (pun intended) comes to mind as completely legal. I often forget about states with draconian laws.

So I will say i was 3/4 correct in my statement:
1) The AR-15 as purchased from the manufacturer is not an automatic weapon.
2) The AR-15 is not banned by US standards (at least not yet) However some states do have a ban in place for them.
3) The M4 is the selectable fully automatic version of the AR-15. This weapon is also not truly banned (not by the federal government) as in you can go through all the hoops to obtain the permit and tax stamp for class 3 weapons, it is just a hugely convaluted process that most won't bother to go through. not to mention the excessive cost of the firearm itself. (Again some states do have a ban on automatic weapons at the state level)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Karvor

Sorry if I sounded to be correcting. I didn't mean to because nationally, you're 100% right. Federal Law is actually pretty limited on all this ...or it used to be...

I absolutely do share the sentiment others have expressed about the casual and I'd wonder..deliberate? mixing of AR- and M-4/M-16. I mean it's not a BIG difference right? Just a very critical selector switch ...some very important internal changes...and about $10,000-$15,000 in price (after the Class III permit you mention, of course..and I'll bet those have come to be like a pass from God himself to get these days).

Without those 'little' changes? Indeed... An AR-15 is no different in function and basic design than my 10/22 rifle. It's just a far larger nightmare to keep clean and it jams a whole lot more.

edit on 19-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wow I'm so glad I don't live in California. That state needs to be checked back into reality. I find it even funnier that you can just modify the gun a little bit and then it is legal. Same lethality, same accuracy, still semi-automatic, etc. These politicians obviously don't care about logic, only their agenda.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Let me try to understand this...

New Ingram M-10....Pulled trigger 1 time, threee rounds came out and jammed? Or pulled the trigger three times, and fourth time, nothing happened?

pulled it once. If I remember it was a TECH (TEK)-9 actually

edit on 19-1-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
He's right there is no law preventing you from walking in front of a school with a gun, but there is a law that says you cant open fire and kill people, it's called murder.

That didn't stop the guy at sandy hook though.

edit on 19-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

top topics

join