It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Informed Here, Stand Up For Your Rights Elsewhere !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The ATS crowd is pretty awe inspiring and collectively, this community has incredible awareness raising powers. Unfortunately, many threads do a great job at identifying an issue, dissect its undertones and provide good solid evidence as to why the issue at hand WILL impact the general population. In and of itself, that is fantastic. However, many of us here are like salesmen who cant ask for the close. We can tell everyone about our product, but once you peak the attention of the buyer, we forget to ask for the sale. SPECIFICALLY, the ATS community should be asking for the " Take Action" sale more often.

HERE IS A TYPICAL WORKFLOW FOR AN ATS POLITICAL ISSUE THREAD:

1. Here is an Issue community.
2. Here is the data that supports it.
3. Here is what I think about this issue.
4. RANT - we are losing , this and that, and this is no good, and blah and blah . . .

WE NEED TO REPLACE #4 WITH SOMETHING MORE:

4. ACTION - " And guys, if you believe what I said and want to help rally behind getting this thing resolve;
- here is a link to where you can reach your local politician.
- here is a link where you can submit a preformated complaint to your state senator.
- here is a link to a petition i found / started
- here is a link to the largest activist group that is fighting this issue.
- her is a list of things I recomend you doing to help spread awareness and drive more people to follow any of the links I supplied.

I just got done reading an EXCELLENT thread where the 23 obama acts where picked apart for what they really mean. In the end, the OP ended on the old #4. Far better to say, " Thanks for listening, I have no real advice to change it, I am just providing my view of what I believe is happening. Oh and I encourage you all to take some action"

I hope the more active posters here read this and take this to heart. Lets become problem solvers and motivators and stay away from becoming blood hounds who dont know what to do with our prey after we catch it!

PEACE !

BTW - here are some potentially actionable links to get thinks rolling:

Petitions:
[removed by staff]

Find your Rep:
www.house.gov...
clerk.house.gov...

Track and Read legislation:
www.govtrack.us...

edit on 18-1-2013 by oldmeatwad because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/18/2013 by semperfortis because: Corrected ALL CAPS

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:
i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

Terms and Conditions of Use
edit on Fri Jan 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Some good points for sure OP!

I think people hold back since they dont want a visit in the middle of the night by the thought police or other agency, which is understandable, but also shows how much control they really do have over us.

Freedom of speech is truely inhibited these days, especially where every key stroke is databased and stored...

Pz

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
Some good points for sure OP!

I think people hold back since they dont want a visit in the middle of the night by the thought police or other agency, which is understandable, but also shows how much control they really do have over us.

Freedom of speech is truely inhibited these days, especially where every key stroke is databased and stored...

Pz

Aint it the truth.

I know personally before I write or call a rep state or federal I have that moment of hesitation. Do I really want to call up this person and tell them how I feel and give them my name and address? Especially when I know that person has the exact opposite opinion I do?

I know plenty of others who in this moment of gun-grabbing are reluctant to contact their reps for that very reason.

Same with joining up with orgs like GOA or NRA. They dont want to be put on some list.

If you're afraid to make your voice heard with a pen or an affiliation what will you do if the situation degrades to the mythical SHTF scenario they all claim is coming?

Speak up now folks.

Write and call your reps. It's the least you can do. Literally.

Think of all the cops who have lost their jobs for signing on with LEAP for instance. Such a simple thing to say "this is wrong" and their careers were over. If they can risk that so can any one of us.

It sure beats risking your life.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by oldmeatwad

Part of ATS is to debate, offer our own views on a political issue, having a reasoned discussion. I see posts as an opportunity to influence and shape views. I have read some great posts on ATS that have made me think and in some cases, change the way I think about an issue.

I do see your point about action but looking at the links you posted, they are to express your opinion to your elected representatives, who in too many cases made their mind up on an issue because someone, organisation or company have paid them to have a view.

Words are just one part of action. If we feel passionately about an issue, we need to do more than write, we need real on the ground action.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP

Part of ATS is to debate, offer our own views on a political issue, having a reasoned discussion. I see posts as an opportunity to influence and shape views. I have read some great posts on ATS that have made me think and in some cases, change the way I think about an issue.

I do see your point about action but looking at the links you posted, they are to express your opinion to your elected representatives, who in too many cases made their mind up on an issue because someone, organisation or company have paid them to have a view.

Words are just one part of action. If we feel passionately about an issue, we need to do more than write, we need real on the ground action.

This is true no matter what side of the issue you support.
The problem is in the T&C for ATS, no recruiting allowed, this site is not set up to allow activists the opportunity to organize or even coordinate.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
That part of the T&C needs to change. The T&Cs allow us to moan but not to organise and take action. Well moaning won't get us anywhere.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The last step of OPs advice sounds like a page right out of Monroe's motivated sequence; grab attention, present the need, offer a solution, tell the audience what they get out of the deal, and close with a call to action, as the OP suggests.

All the tools for a successful presentation, which, is essentially what the threads here on ATS are if you think about it.

We will not see a change for the better if everyone just keeps complaining instead of doing.

Very nice, OP.

S&F

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

I was just about to bring that up. We are not even supposed to link to petitions. I found that out when I did link a pertinent petition, and got smacked with one of those violation thingies.
edit on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:36:14 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

I was just about to bring that up. We are not even supposed to link to petitions. I found that out when I did link a pertinent petition, and got smacked with one of those violation thingies.
edit on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:36:14 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Ditto

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I can't believe this was censored!
One of the few threads that might have been a catalyst for actual change as opposed to bitching about there needing to be change

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Would electing me as Prime Minister help Canada? Why or why not?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I fully concur with your statement OP but as others have said, the T&C here prohibits any recruitment for anything period.
The main reasons I joined ATS was because of the higher level of cerebral acuity of the members, no other forum I've seen yet has members with such intelligence and a sheer denial of ignorance. It truly is a shame that this wondrous site forbids us from joining together to actually have a real impact on the topics which are plaguing our nation(s), yet I do see why the T&C's are as they are.
On a personal level, I have tried the calls, letters, petitions, joining groups, being an 'activist' and even attempting to start something small in my 'neck of the woods', but nothing seems to ever get done past the point of number 3 as you stated. It is as if people are either unwilling to give of themselves enough to effect change, or they are too scared of loosing what little they have.
So how can we, some of the brightest minds, use our tenacity to overcome this quagmire of unconstitutionality being levied against us for a better America? Where do we turn to make our point known and get results. Our common ground is here on ATS, sharing our beliefs about topics causing direct harm to the people of America, we have no grounds here to make change, only proper discussion. We seem to quiesce when it comes to direct action.
We do need an outlet of sorts where we can bring our collective minds together to form solutions to the problems we discuss. A think tank sort of place where topics are treated as challenges for everyone to be a part of. We should have an avenue for all of these emotions to be transformed into action and positive change, BUT HOW?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by prysmatyk

The internet forum has always been an extension of the proverbial existence of human beings in the material realm.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The internet forum has always been an extension of the proverbial existence of human beings in the material realm.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
this site is the government and it obviously wants to amass evidence against us. I say we rebel, and make our own site. screw the T&C. if obama wanted to lower gun violence he'd end the wars, on terror, on drugs, and on liberty. everyone needs to stop drinking floride and rebel. I live in Lexington Massachusetts and the last time someone tried to take our guns, America was founded. we shot the red coats all the way back to boston, and ILL BE DAMMED IF SOME ADMIN THINKS THEY WILL BE DIFFERENT. I am not afraid of what I have seen, for I am a truthseeker, and if you don't like that, then we are enemies. I WILL NOT LET ANYONE BUT GOD DICTATE MY FATE. Anyone else in the way is just dust in the wind.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by prysmatyk
I fully concur with your statement OP but as others have said, the T&C here prohibits any recruitment for anything period.
The main reasons I joined ATS was because of the higher level of cerebral acuity of the members, no other forum I've seen yet has members with such intelligence and a sheer denial of ignorance. It truly is a shame that this wondrous site forbids us from joining together to actually have a real impact on the topics which are plaguing our nation(s), yet I do see why the T&C's are as they are.
On a personal level, I have tried the calls, letters, petitions, joining groups, being an 'activist' and even attempting to start something small in my 'neck of the woods', but nothing seems to ever get done past the point of number 3 as you stated. It is as if people are either unwilling to give of themselves enough to effect change, or they are too scared of loosing what little they have.
So how can we, some of the brightest minds, use our tenacity to overcome this quagmire of unconstitutionality being levied against us for a better America? Where do we turn to make our point known and get results. Our common ground is here on ATS, sharing our beliefs about topics causing direct harm to the people of America, we have no grounds here to make change, only proper discussion. We seem to quiesce when it comes to direct action.
We do need an outlet of sorts where we can bring our collective minds together to form solutions to the problems we discuss. A think tank sort of place where topics are treated as challenges for everyone to be a part of. We should have an avenue for all of these emotions to be transformed into action and positive change, BUT HOW?

Sounds to me like we all need an ATS mk 2!!! A simpe wordpress theme with forum installed would suffice - suggest we make it private to weed out potential shills such a place would attract (there's one forum similar to this, but it's a free for all that attracts an influx of shills & trolls).

We need a place where we are permitted to call to action those of a like mind for just causes to make REAL change. I have made lifestyle changes thanks to ATS on a personal level and my interactions with others have no doubt helped spread the word on certain subjects (I know I've denied ignorance a few times too) but none of this will lead to real change, or if it does it'll be a slow, gradual change which would most likely come too late (like the hundredth monkey theory here

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the similar thoughts on this, but being as it is, you joined ATS on the 17th of this month, so how can you state that,' you've made some changes because of ATS? Seems a bit odd to me.

I'm not attempting to start anything, just pointing out the obvious.

Regardless, ATS is the best place to share ideas and truths about issues affecting us all, but it is only a place to talk about it, not a place for action. . . talk is cheap and will not get anyone anywhere.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Probably a lurker.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Get your governors involved especially those who want to succeed. go here to read more on Divorcing the Fed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
You bring up a really great point. I have lost count of the number of times I have come across a 1 or 2 sentence opening thread post, and I just want to scream. And sometimes there are threads that start with many sentences, yet do not really say much at all. It would do everyone, who does not have a grasp of how information should be presented, good to heed this advice. But part of the problem is that too many people do not realize that THEY have a problem to begin with. So the most difficult part is getting someone to realize that they are part of the problem of the breakdown of communication here on ATS, without doing so in an offensive or mean way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join