It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to fellow members regarding team sports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Hello all, just something I was pondering & I'd like to ask here.
All my life I've been more into the extreme sports such as skateboarding, bmx, snowboarding exc... And when younger I played in baseball football and hockey until I started skateboarding. And of corse still played with fellow school kids up until the end of high school.

My question is why do so many people base a large portion of their entire social life around sports? Why do you the person reading this who watches Sunday football or loves when the Real Madrid kicks ass in a soccer game why is there so much importance and emotional energy put into these events. I mean some people wont even talk to you if you didnt catch the last patriots game or know every score for every game played in the nba the night before...I still do enjoy a baseball game a few times a year but I've always liked it more for the atmosphere, the Italian sausages the music peanuts and the beer lol, this is in no way to be offensive I would just like to hear anyone's point of view if cared to share.

Skateboarding has always been my passion, that is my sport, it's the mix of fear skill and danger that makes it an artwork many take as being reckless, but that's what drew me into it I guess.
What's your sport?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pryed -eyed-one

Manchester United for my taste.

And...about your question. Good one.

I guess I somehow identify my self partly with every their success or failure. I guess when you're into something for over 20 years...It kinda crawls under your skin...like a pet dog or something.

I like football...not US football...I played much even through college, naturally I wanted to "stay" in the game, 'cos I love it. I love competition. I love winning, and have learned to lose. That's why I'm passionate about following it...it's like a hobby I guess. It is mental football nowadays

Beats playing solitaire

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Skateboarding has always been my passion, that is my sport, it's the mix of fear skill and danger that makes it an artwork many take as being reckless, but that's what drew me into it I guess.

btw. I think skateboarding is more dangerous than bungee jumping....I'm not that young anymore

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Manchester City for me
the current champions

Brings people together, the highs and lows etc.

Just support the team where you are from, don't be a glory supporter.
edit on 18-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Arsenal fan here..

Well, *sighs*, someone has to support them...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

0-2

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Rising Against

0-2

Rising Against you have post-banned user boymonkey74.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Just support the team where you are from, don't be a glory supporter.

I know what you mean...but local football in Croatia sucks ass, it's painful to watch...and I've been a United supporter almost as far as I can remember. Almost 30 years...I don't think I'm a glory supporter

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
Arsenal fan here..

Well, *sighs*, someone has to support them...

Hey...at least they are always top 4 in recent years. That's not too bad

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

It is simulated war, except no one "has" to die. People like to watch the conflict of the two sides battling it out and only one can win. Will it be the strategy or the brute strength that wins out. "Tune in Sunday (or whenever)to fin out"

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Also completely trophy-less for approximately 7 Years, 7 Months and 27 Days now as well. A statistic every Arsenal fan knows. That is very bad, lol.

But, hey, at least we're good financially, isn't that right City?

edit on 18-1-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Skateboarding is not a team sport, is it?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turkenstein

It is simulated war, except no one "has" to die. People like to watch the conflict of the two sides battling it out and only one can win. Will it be the strategy or the brute strength that wins out. "Tune in Sunday (or whenever)to fin out"

beautifully put.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Also completely trophy-less for approximately 7 Years, 7 Months and 27 Days now as well. A statistic every Arsenal fan knows. That is very bad, lol.

But, hey, at least we're good financially, isn't that right City?

edit on 18-1-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

That oil is gotta run out some time

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

nope skateboarding in general is a competative sport much like a race or high diving. its more about aspiring to be able to land that trick youve seen but cant do yet. or come up with something fresh wich now is tough given everything has been done lol. but thats why i ask this very question. team sports i get are basicaly simulated war/hunting games (in general). but why the rediculous behavior of some and i stress SOME fans of team sports namely football and soccer? its amazing that people have fights over this or will go to a game in 10 degree weather dressed only in paint drinking nothing but beer lol or "bleed black & gold". i fully understand the sense of community and brotherhood it brings. maybe its just what culture has distilled after milenia of more violent times. who knows lol

thanks for the replys everyone by the way

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Norwich city here

I once saw a documentary on this (not norwich you, could write a longer doc on success if you chose white long distant runners as a subject matter) but it's something to do with tribal oneness, hence the football (to use the correct term) violence in eastern europe now and in britain years ago. Well last week at kings cross St pancras.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Norwich city here

..Therefore all your opinions are invalid.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

reply to post by cody599

Norwich city here

..Therefore all your opinions are invalid.

Tell me that when you want your trac'or fixed
And we swim better with webbed feet
And why am posting this I live in dunstable now

Still..................Better than Luton

edit on 18-1-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
portsmouth till i die.. i'm portsmouth till i die.. i know i am i'm sure i am i'm portsmouth till i die... loudest fans in the land and only 18.000 ....

"play up pompey... pompey play up!"...

edit on 18-1-2013 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think it may depend on the sport.

My brother once said that people follow the sport they grew up playing or watching played. So location can have somethign to do with it.

Of course people who love speed and cars watch Forumla One or Nascar.

I agree it maybe the tribal mentality, sending out your best warrior to play.

I come from a town where the Gridiron is a religion. But the history goes deep, when Pittsburgh stopped producing steel and the whole city was poverty stricken, people went and watched free or cheap football for entertainment. The team got the city through very hard times. So now the city still very much supports the team.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join