It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This USB-Size Cloud Computer From Dell Is A Total Game Changer

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Schnib

Very well said!
There is no privacy in a cloud based system, even when your device is switched off and you're asleep in your bed your data is still live in the cloud - open to anyone server side to rifle through it.

I do use cloud storage for certain things though (product photos, PDFs and such). I think the biggest benefit for cloud computing would be the gaming industry (as someone stated earlier on in the thread).

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by Ghost375

PCs will never die. Especially for gamers. They're just no alternative. I mean maybe in a long time, cloud computing could handle hardcore gaming, but the technology is just not even close.

Define "close".

Google has already rolled out gigabit internet connections in a city or two, and the internet two (10Gbps) will trickle down from universities and the government into the public consumer market within the decade. Once we have +1Gbps connections to the house the delay will be imperceivable, and everything you do on a workstation will be easily done on a flexible sheet of smart paper via 5g wireless.

PC's are toast by 2020.
edit on 17-1-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

This post is very laughable and shows how much you really know about PC's and the hardware involved.

Cell phones can be twice as fast as the internet on a PC. Can it play Battlefield 3? Didn't think so. And, anyone who agrees with this post of his, really just likes the idea of a cheap crappy system to use...nothing more.

Either way, cant wait for all you nerf herders to buy this...I will be waiting for everyone to cry about how limited it really is.

Then I will say...USB computer's toast by when they come out. Just like this Bantha poodoo.

I think that PCs will remain! I would like to keep my studio going as an entity that could function without internet for sure.

As it stands I need PCIe slots for cards like UAD2 and firewire for quality sound transfer between PC and audio interface.

Hey, some of us are still learning, too! Why not teach us the skills you know? Go easy on us because we are all at different grades of understanding! Patience!!!
edit on 18-1-2013 by Revolution9 because: punctuation.

edit on 18-1-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by boxertwin
reply to post by Schnib

Very well said!
There is no privacy in a cloud based system, even when your device is switched off and you're asleep in your bed your data is still live in the cloud - open to anyone server side to rifle through it.

I do use cloud storage for certain things though (product photos, PDFs and such). I think the biggest benefit for cloud computing would be the gaming industry (as someone stated earlier on in the thread).

Yes, but only some things are private. Like music making would not require heavy security and one would want to be sharing with others or at least have the network available to do so.

Admittedly, some things are private and we require security, but these gizmos have a place for sure. I bet you they do!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Oh and an encrypted cloud service is available.

I have concerns there too. Encrypted data cannot be processed. So unless all you are doing is storing raw data in the cloud, the data is going to be available, unencrypted, to whoever has server access, "legally" or otherwise.

And though it is just an assumption of mine, I think it won't be long before cloud service providers demand that you use their encryption standard, with the excuse that they do not want to be liable for you storing illegal material on their servers and also so that they can comply with legal warrants.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Forgive the ignorance, but if its so small, how will you interact with it? A keyboard? Tablet? I'm having trouble envisioning the logistics.

S&F

I was envisioning a wristband where the computer connects to a watch-like device, and it cloud connects over to a common-use public monitor on the wall somewhere in the vicinity of the user. The idea is to swipe the band to activate the wall screen, which could be a touch screen.

It would mean a kiosk computer system in public spaces, or an adapter for your computer monitor at home. A voice-operated menu system.

Or they just switch the usb port with a hypodermic tube and it sends a nanobot wire up into your visual cortex, allowing you to hallucinate in digital.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9

Yes, but only some things are private. Like music making would not require heavy security and one would want to be sharing with others or at least have the network available to do so.

Admittedly, some things are private and we require security, but these gizmos have a place for sure. I bet you they do!

That much is true, but what Dell have here is a dummy terminal, similar to a run-of-the-mill office workstation tied to a central server. I use Adobe Creative Cloud for the exact same reason you state - it's purely a business tool and no private data is exchanged.
edit on 18-1-2013 by boxertwin because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I think the biggest benefit for cloud computing would be the gaming industry (as someone stated earlier on in the thread).

Gaming has been brought up several times in this thread and every time it is I think great, that's all we need is massively more infrastructure to supply bandwidth to people wasting their time in a virtual reality when they could instead be out doing something for a world that is desperately falling apart. I can't imaging how so much bandwidth is going to be supplied if cloud computing becomes the main method for dealing with the worlds volume of data as it is expanding so rapidly. I'm already impressed that Gangnam Style didn't bog the system down to an unusable crawl.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

That much is true, but what Dell have here is a dummy terminal, similar to a run-of-the-mill office workstation tied to a central server. I use Adobe Creative Cloud for the exact same reason you state - it's purely a business tool and no private data is exchanged.
edit on 18-1-2013 by boxertwin because: typo

Yes, I understand.

Did you read my earlier reply here?

I am thinking about the musical advantages! They are seriously worth pursuing!

With latency issues solved, there is already available to me the technology to hook up to a server that contained studio facilities worth perhaps millions of $!

If anybody had the ability, financially, to provide such a service I think they would make a fortune. Music making with the younger people of the world (and me, too, lol) is a huge cash generator, digitally.

I already know this is coming! I have wanted that to happen for a long time.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb

I think the biggest benefit for cloud computing would be the gaming industry (as someone stated earlier on in the thread).

Gaming has been brought up several times in this thread and every time it is I think great, that's all we need is massively more infrastructure to supply bandwidth to people wasting their time in a virtual reality when they could instead be out doing something for a world that is desperately falling apart. I can't imaging how so much bandwidth is going to be supplied if cloud computing becomes the main method for dealing with the worlds volume of data as it is expanding so rapidly. I'm already impressed that Gangnam Style didn't bog the system down to an unusable crawl.

So true, a billion wasted clicks in a dying world!

Don't lose heart my friend! I think things are on the turn once again. I think that bright people will soon have the respect they deserve once more. Evolution itself will demand it or else!

However, have you considered that gaming is in itself quite neutral! Just uses up a small amount of power and keeps people out of trouble. Also, instead of using up loads of fuel and harming the environment by driving around and taking planes, people can do all this through the wires with minimal power needs!

Just a thought. Sometimes, the Universe moves in mysterious ways to alter our behaviour when required!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
It's all well and good until your internet connection goes down. Then what?

PC's on a stick are a non starter for many reasons, this is only one of them for this particular variant.

Yeop...When the Net goes down, one needs a back door....Let's say that old 56k modem ain't in the trash just yet. LOL

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Nuke2013

This is incorrect as your memory stick still needs a PC to function, that's a bootable USB stick (use to be Damn Small Linux back in the day, but due to size/speed of USB sticks now can be full blown operating systems - have had Windows 7 running off of a USB3 Stick, albeit a heavily lightened version)!

The PC on a stick in question contains CPU, RAM, graphics hardware, networking (all normally in a 'system on chip' configuration) and a storage device - all in the space of a USB sized stick that plugs into a HDMI port (not usb).

True enough, I just did not go in to greater details. One can run a full blown OS on a Mem stick for sure. My thing is all about using what I got to log in to my home network securely from any PC in the world. Old school I guess. But none the less efficiant.

These days it preferable like you have your thing set up. just bring your usb key loaded with your OS anywhere with you and presto....You are all in!!! But...When you need to DL or UP your stuff to a cloud, it's preferable to have your own cloud in the means of a bic server at home. What you choose to do from there is your choice, at home you can be more secure behind a firewall.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Nuke2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Yes, I understand.

Did you read my earlier reply here?

I am thinking about the musical advantages! They are seriously worth pursuing!

With latency issues solved, there is already available to me the technology to hook up to a server that contained studio facilities worth perhaps millions of $!

If anybody had the ability, financially, to provide such a service I think they would make a fortune. Music making with the younger people of the world (and me, too, lol) is a huge cash generator, digitally.

I already know this is coming! I have wanted that to happen for a long time.

I did see you're entry and if it hasn't been done yet go patent the idea as it's a good one! My knowledge of studio facilities are limited to messing about with Cubase/Fruity Loops and recording my guitar on an old Tandy PC Mic!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nuke2013

True enough, I just did not go in to greater details. One can run a full blown OS on a Mem stick for sure. My thing is all about using what I got to log in to my home network securely from any PC in the world. Old school I guess. But none the less efficiant.

These days it preferable like you have your thing set up. just bring your usb key loaded with your OS anywhere with you and presto....You are all in!!! But...When you need to DL or UP your stuff to a cloud, it's preferable to have your own cloud in the means of a bic server at home. What you choose to do from there is your choice, at home you can be more secure behind a firewall.

Ah I see, so essentially you have an OS on a USB stick that once booted up will have all the settings there to enable that PC to access your home network as a dummy terminal of sorts. This sounds more VNC/Remote desktop than cloud based as the OS and programs would still be local to the machine and your network isn't a cloud. A true cloud device is where all software, OS included, is held separate on a server and streamed to the device (I'm not sure even the Dell device is 100% cloud).

Ouch! All this nerdy tech speak hurts my brain!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Don't really see how this could be a game changer when it is limited to your upload bandwidth. Sure you could have a supercomputer up in the cloud, but you couldn't feed it information fast enough for it to help you much. Your average quad core CPU will churn out the bits much quicker than you could upload them to another computer to do the work for you.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
You know what I like about this idea? I means that the computer market will now have less reliance on materials from which to build thier machines. It will all be about how they can make something the size of a box of kitchen matches, more powerful, and even then alot of the work will be done in pure programming, in and on the cloud.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
now this is is awesome and cheap. this is where the computers will go and eventually computers will be passively interactent with us we won't have to touch a computer to make it do anything and a they get smarter computers will act for us before we even know what we want

youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

This is absolutely TERRIFYING.....

I am NOT joking with the above...

Having the PC that processes everything right in front of you gives you control and power. Having that control turned over to someone else, somewhere OUT THERE...gives acronymed agencies like the NSA the power to control and view EVERYTHING that happens EVERYWHERE.

This is NOT a good thing.

We need MORE anonymity, this ELIMINATES ALL anonymity...

Jaden

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tierdofbs

Wearable technology, using Xbox Kinect like gestures with augmented reality to boot - this is the future and the guy who invented it is a genius. I believe this will be heavily integrated with cloud technology. From a conspiracy point of view, if everyone had this and were connected to the cloud there would be no such thing as privacy anymore - an Orwellian nightmare come true!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yeah I can't find the image I've been digging for,. But it shows UAV's and vehicles with wireless signal interception.
Then the digging led to this article.

I'm sure it has been posted, but wanted to share for obvious reasons.

DARPA has begun development of a wireless communications link that is capable of 100 gigabits per second over a range of 200 kilometers (124mi). Officially dubbed “100 Gb/s RF Backbone” (or 100G for short), the program will provide the US military with networks that are around 500 times faster than its current wireless links.

100G

Obviously we won't have these soon, but, doesn't mean we can't try.

lol

I'm going to keep digging for the image (eureka!) described above.
brb

edit on 18-1-2013 by ADVISOR because: added thumb image

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Technology is truly marvelous, but I'll keep my clunky desktop and hardwired devices.
I for one prefer a bit more personal privacy than what the cloud can provide.
Seeing as I already pay for the internet and have secured my systems network, haven't had any intrusions or viruses in over ten years, the cloud doesn't impress me with its functionality much. I also enjoy buying the hardware and tinkering with the system. Customizing the case, water cooling etc. Can't fit that into the USB from Dell, nor can you enjoy it on the cloud.
I think that the true techies will always want a box to fool around with, no matter how far the cloud can take them into their games.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join