It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Anyone Here Flown With A Toddler?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Thank you for your advice. I will bring some caramels or some taffy maybe. That is a good idea!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

You did say its all about you not wanting to drive a few hundred miles. Thats the problem. You want it convient for you in disregard to every other person on that flight. Easier in a car....

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Sorry you have a problem with it, but I have sat through many long flights full of children and if I can take it others can as well. Their money isn't any more valuable than mine and I'm not going to drive for two days through ice and snow and spend hundreds of dollars extra on fuel and motels just because it may bother someone.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Not a few hundred miles sugar. Around 1500 miles- that is a HUGE difference!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I flew a bunch cross country with my oldest daughter years ago most of the time it wasn't as bad as I feared

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Benadryl ...jk

Have them drink something during takeoff and landing, swallowing will usually ease the ear pressure. Chewy candy can also help sometimes but should probably be avoided if sugar makes them hyperactive. Apparently a child shouldn't sleep on a flight if possible because the pressure can build up from not swallowing often enough.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

Thank you Josephus. I will try sugar-free chewy candy, but I will make sure she has a drink handy as well. I know you were joking about the benedryl but I've heard people talk about doing that seriously. Don't worry though, I'm not one of those people.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
I have as well. I think they shouldnt ruin the many paying passengers flights they too probably researched in costs.
So, you are saving money...but at the cost of all the passengers right to a calm flight. I know you have rights, I get that. But what about all of them?

It would be comparable to you saving bucks and all of them....wasting theirs. And in over 50 years, I have never see a toddler keep quiet the whole flight. Maybe once.....and you probably will be a 2nd distraction to all of them as well....the entire flight. Think about it....
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

Who says passengers have a RIGHT to a calm flight? You sound a little selfish with your attitude towards children. Get some ear plugs if you don't like children on your flights

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yes, more than once!
If you can afford it, their own seat is invaluable, even on a short flight your legs go to sleep quick with a baby on your lap. I agree with the poster who suggested the chewy candies, even some gummy vitamins if you are worried about the sugar. My boys need to be able to pop their ears, then they rather enjoy the flights. The longest flight has only been a little over an hour in the plane though too.
I also recommend a small easily folded stroller for at the airport. Most airlines will even stow it in the closet for you until you leave the plane again in my experience. Good Luck!!

Don't let other people worry you about too much either, kids belong (almost) anywhere their parents are. Most people are super nice to the little ones. I even had the sweetest business man give my son his keys to play with during the flight. Poor guy, tired and traveling longer than I got stuck next to the fussy toddler, and he made my flight easier honestly because he was so nice.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Thank you woodsmom. She will be having her own seat. Our flight is a little over three hours then change planes to another flight that is a little over an hour. We will have iime to stretch our legs and get a snack in between. She walks and refuses to get in a stroller. It would be more convenient for me but the fit she would pitch wouldn't be nice for anyone else in the vicinity!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Most importantly... have a safe, uneventful flight!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

So glad I was able to help. Its been awhile for me flying with a 2 1/2 yr old, but that is exactly the age my daughter was when I had to hold her in my lap the whole flight. It is a trip I will never forget. Obviously because she is 19 now. LOL We live and we learn.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Goodto know its you and your convenience over the a lot of the planes passengers.

I had a toddler, and Ive flown....and Ive stopped doing it.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

oh yeah...ear plugs dont work when theyre kicking the back of my seat.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
If the toddler fits under your seat, this is the safest place for them.
If not, they'll need their own seat and enough Nyquil to make it to the destination.

(Sorry, I'm not kid friendly when it comes to flying. I always end up listening to them screaming or kicking the back of my seat.)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by Starwise

oh yeah...ear plugs dont work when theyre kicking the back of my seat.

I should've read your comment before making mine since you beat me to it!
I really hate that and the parents are useless at making them behave.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Thanks. I do understand the plight of toddlers and parents.

Unfortunately...crayons and movies dont seem to have any effect on a 4 hr flight. Unless you tie them to their seats.

(Still they'll be kicking my seat the whole flight after 1 hr of coloring and about 1/2 hr of a movie.)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I've flown many many many times, thats the price for having family half way across the world, never flown with a toddler myself, though, but other passengers on the flight with me have.You will always get those self entitled pricks that think they are holier than thou, just ignore them, it's not as bad as they make it out to be. Maybe thats just me, having the ability to ignore such things and realizing PARENTS GOTTA GO PLACES TO.
From what I've seen and heard you can book a seat if you want to guarantee one for your kid, but most of the time they just sit on your lap, or on the floor infront of you, I forget what they classify those seats as, but usually near the exits the seats have plenty of floor space infront of you, perfect for your kid to lay down or play.

Also if you do bring a car seat, makes sure it is approved for use in aircraft's, there should be a label on it, otherwise the flight attendant may give you trouble.
edit on 19/1/13 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Yes, and kids aren't designed to sit for hours on end and be quiet. They are just too packed with energy.

It's mainly the parents who are the problem. All you have to do is go out to eat and see that parents let their kids do whatever they want. They can stand up on the booth and look over at what you're eating and the parents say nothing. If I would've acted that way in a restaurant, my mom would've put a stop to it immediately. Parents used to raise their kids to act right, but now they're too scared to discipline them in public, so the rest of us have to suffer.

At least the Op is trying to find the best way to fly with the toddler. It's just a shame that most people think you should have to deal with their unruly brats. Just like dogs, if you don't discipline them properly and train them with firmness and consistency early on, they are going to grow up being uncontrollable. Nowadays, parents think its OK to just sit them in front of a screen and this is how it's done. Well, if this is the only way their child is going to sit quietly for several hours, please remember to pack extra batteries.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I agree with a lot of what you said about parents letting their kids act like brats in public. As I am a grandmother it should be known that "I don't play that". It isn't a long flight but rather two relatively short flights with a change in the middle. To drive is 1500 miles one way (3000 miles round trip) so it is cheaper and less dangerous to fly. I only asked for advice so as to know how to make my grandchild most comfortable and to keep her busy during the flight so as to disturb others as little as possible. She wont be kicking the passenger ahead of her's seat as her legs aren't long enough- even for the cramped space of economy seating- and as she falls asleep riding in the car more than 10-15 minutes there is a really good chance she will sleep through most of it anyway. I don't know why some people want to make this issue their own personal tirade (not speaking of you, of course). Just wanted to say that as I have for the most part raised my grandchild since birth she is not allowed to behave like one of the brats you described.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join