It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Anyone Here Flown With A Toddler?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I am seeking wisdom from any of you folks who have taken a toddler with you on an airplane. I'm flying across the country next week (after figuring fuel costs it's cheaper than driving) and for the first time I will be taking a small child with me. As I've never taken anyone with me on a flight I have a few questions.

One of the things I need to know is does a small child have to be in a safety seat on airplanes? I've never took notice as I never thought of this situation arising. I know I will have to bring a car seat for after we land at least. Do the airlines charge you for checking a car seat like they do a checked bag? Also I'm sure bringing electronic toys that make noise if not forbidden would probably bother other passengers. Do you have any recommendations for some quieter past times that would keep a 2 1/2 year old busy?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I have to leave for a bit to book our flight but will check in as soon as I'm done. I appreciate any advice you have to give me!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I did not presonally, but i did flew with my neice when she was 1(she was with he rmother).

Do not feel obligated to purchase a seat for your child. Children under two fly free or for a nominal fee when you hold them on your lap. Unlike in a car, your lap is safe & comforting to your child.

Purchase a giant diaper bag. Lap children are not entitled to a piece of luggage; only a diaper bag.

Plan to breastfeed if you can. Attendants do not warm bottles or formulaConsider dressing your child in a one piece footed pajama if you're worried about losing clothes.

Dress the child as comfortably as possible. Being on a plane, let alone in one seat, for many hours isn't fun.Pack the diaper bag as if you're going on a trip for a day. Make sure you have a change of clothes or two outfits, diapers, toys (stickers, crayons & paper for toddlers), changing pad, baby wipes, and utensils.

You must declare baby food, formula & medicines. Babies and toddlers ARE exempt from the 3-1-1 rule.

Consider buying some new toys to surprise your child; they will keep his or her attention longer. You may choose to hold onto these toys until well into the flight, when your child gets antsy or to distracted from a temper tantrum. If the flight goes well, save the toys for the flight home.

Surprise your child with a piece of candy or treat you have refused in the past. Tiny lollipops are a good choice as the sucking can help with ear pressure.Bring earplugs. Not for you or your baby, for the people around you. If your child cries uncontrollably, you can show your concern by handing your neighbors an inexpensive pair of foam earplugs with a kind smile.Arrive early at your gate.

Ask the attendant for a "Gate Check Tag" for your stroller. They will stow your stroller with the luggage in the belly of the plane, but bring it to you when you exit it the plane, so you don't have to carry your child to baggage claimWhile you are at the gate, ask the attendant if they will board families with small children first. This is usually a common practice, but not always. You can relax a bit if the answer is yes.

Serve your toddler juice or water by bringing a "reuse or toss" cup with lid & straw. Attendants will provide drinks on most flights, but they do not provide straws or lids. You could have a spill that wets you, him or the stranger next to him when he accidentally bumps his tray-table.

Consider picking up a cup, straw & lid from a concession stand before boarding your flight in a pinch.Bring a blanket to cover your baby, but as soon as you sit down in your seat, request extra pillows & blankets. Pillows are not items you will want to pack, as they are bulky. If you don't like the idea of your child's face on the airline pillow, cover it with your blanket from home. Your arms will need extra cushioning, if your child takes a long nap and you can't move.

Do not try to carry everything on board you will possibly need. You cannot quickly or easily get to things under your seat or in the over-head. They will go unused and be a useless burden to carry. Think minimalist.

Travel during nap time. Some children fall asleep in a plane, no different than while riding in a car.

Link

My sister only carried a diaper bag, candy and traveled during nap time.
edit on 1/17/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Yes I have flown with many, many toddlers and it boggles my mind why they are ever allowed to fly at all. Here is how it works. They are happy as can be while on the ground. The second the wheels go up they start screaming. They don't stop screaming until the wheels come down. This can last anywhere from 1 to 6 to 10 hours or longer. It just all depends on how long the flight is. Once on the ground they are happy again.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by cybro

One of the main reasons that the toddlers scream is due to pressure on the ear drum when they get up into the air and when landing which apparently can hurt or be very uncomfortable.

babytravel.com...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybro
Yes I have flown with many, many toddlers and it boggles my mind why they are ever allowed to fly at all. Here is how it works. They are happy as can be while on the ground. The second the wheels go up they start screaming. They don't stop screaming until the wheels come down. This can last anywhere from 1 to 6 to 10 hours or longer. It just all depends on how long the flight is. Once on the ground they are happy again.

Very Sound advice.

ROFL...

Good Luck on your trip, make it there safely.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I don't care how young they are, get them their own seat if you can afford it. If a baby, they need a car seat, if a toddler and can sit on their own strap them in. If they won't sit in their own seat with a seatbelt during takeoff, let them stay on your lap until your up in the air. Trust me, they need their own seat otherwise you will be extremely uncomfortable holding them on your lap, and its difficult to eat or drink, not alot of room there and your drink will probably get knocked over. Make sure you have something in case the child gets airsick. Get a seat in the area with extra leg room, because they will want to stand or move about. Children sitting in one spot for an extended period of time is not going to happen. If they want to walk around, let them, but walk down the isles with them and make sure they are not bothering to many people. Make sure you have plenty of things for them to play with, fiddle with, distract them with. Make sure you have a bottle, binkie or anything that will help unplug their ears. Plenty of snacks. No sugary stuff you want the child as calm as possible. Skip a nap if possible so they will sleep on the plane. Get plenty of rest yourself before flying.
Good luck to you.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Thanks for info. Grandkid is a bit older so most doesn't apply, but the disposable cup w/ lid and straw is a excellent idea!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I have flown with many of them. Transatlantic one in the seats in front of me one or two in the seats beside me and one or two in the seats behind me.

They generally scream for the entire damned flight. EIGHT hours of non-stop screaming little monsters. Airplanes are not for babies and toddlers. Have your kids.. get them to a manageable age and then take them on an airplane.

The people around you will have paid a collective thousands of dollars to get where they are going and your child is going to make the trip totally miserable for all of them.

I hate to sound like an old grinch, but the seasoned travelers I talk to pretty much all agree with my view. Earplugs just mitigate it a bit, but not enough to really do any good.

When my three daughters were little, we were very careful not to take them to places where it would be a potential disturbance for those around us. Those were the days when people had some sense of respect for the feelings of others. Seems those days are gone and it is apparent no matter where you go or how you go there.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cybro

I do understand. I flew to Hawaii a few years ago on an airbus crammed full of babies. If it weren't for it being much cheaper to fly I would make the two day drive, but I'm saving several hundred dollars by flying. Thanks for your reply!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Ask for a seat up against the bulkhead where there is space for the child to go on the floor and play.

And for people complaining about babies crying on airplanes... they are babies and that is what they do. Stick some earplugs in your ear holes and get over yourself.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
I am seeking wisdom from any of you folks who have taken a toddler with you on an airplane. I'm flying across the country next week (after figuring fuel costs it's cheaper than driving) and for the first time I will be taking a small child with me. As I've never taken anyone with me on a flight I have a few questions.

One of the things I need to know is does a small child have to be in a safety seat on airplanes? I've never took notice as I never thought of this situation arising. I know I will have to bring a car seat for after we land at least. Do the airlines charge you for checking a car seat like they do a checked bag? Also I'm sure bringing electronic toys that make noise if not forbidden would probably bother other passengers. Do you have any recommendations for some quieter past times that would keep a 2 1/2 year old busy?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I have to leave for a bit to book o ur flight but will check in as soon as I'm done. I appreciate any advice you have to give me!

I did multiple times.....I always made sure they had their own seat after a horrible experience without one. I flew across country and always brought my DVD player/laptop with headphones, crayons and paper and a dose of childrens benadryl if you know it causes drowsiness instead of hyperactivity. I found a later flight works better with their natural sleep cycle. I always made sure to try my best to keep their seat belt on.

As far as $$ its been a while for me so you need to call the airlines since it seems every few months rules change!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Thanks for the link Rodinus. I've heard about that. I guess I'm about to find out for myself- "insert big groan here"!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Thanks for wishing me luck Manhater- I'm pretty sure I'm going to need it (and probably sedatives as well :lol
!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Be prepared for a wave of "oh lord", *gasp* and "oh just great" with stares from other passengers.

Not all kids mind flying or ears popping, my flights last year you might say luckily (two long hauls and two internals) all had very young children or babies in my section and beyond a few screams on take off were extremely quiet, more so than some of the larger sized men with their friends and their booming voices and laugher!
edit on 17-1-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulSearching8

Thank you so much! Your reply is the most helpful yet! She absolutely is getting her own seat- there is no way I'm having a 2 1/2 year old in my lap for a long round trip flight. Also, hopefully I can get an exit seat or front row seat that has more leg room. Can't pick your own seats on our flight so I guess we're at their mercy!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

Thumbs up for you!
Many times I have flown with planes full of kids and have put on my earphones when the racket bothered me, no problem. This is just the first time I personally have brought a child with me. Thanks for the advice!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
something really chewy like a caramel or similar candy can help to equalize the ear drum pressure. it may be worse is they have ear infections/problems like some toddlers get if thats the case i might want to see my doctor for some meds

link   
reply to post by Starwise

Thank you Starwise! I thought about bringing crayons and a coloring book and I think I will bring my laptop with some DVDs- good idea!

link   
I have as well. I think they shouldnt ruin the many paying passengers flights they too probably researched in costs.
So, you are saving money...but at the cost of all the passengers right to a calm flight. I know you have rights, I get that. But what about all of them?

It would be comparable to you saving bucks and all of them....wasting theirs. And in over 50 years, I have never see a toddler keep quiet the whole flight. Maybe once.....and you probably will be a 2nd distraction to all of them as well....the entire flight. Think about it....
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I don't mind the funny looks or gasps, it's to be expected. I've been on long flights with babies and small children before and have experienced the best and the worst. Hopefully we won't be too bothersome to the other passengers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join