It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unprecedented Coverage of Conspiracy Theorists in the media

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think that technology also plays a part. In the past during a "breaking news" event, all sorts of info could be mentioned or even seen, and never heard again unless someone was quick enough to toss a VHS into the VCR and hit record. Even if they got something in that raw info, the means to widely distribute it was low. Now when there is a breaking news event, you can turn on a DVR, and easily post it to a myriad of places on the internet.

So, when we have one of these events, and the MSM is breaking their neck to be "first" with some new information without properly vetting it, it remains in the public sphere. When the truth of the story moves beyond initial reports there are often loose strings hanging. These loose strings are the meat and potatoes for modern conspiracy theorists.

Another reason I believe CTers are currently being targeted by the MSM is our willingness to read or listen to foreign news sources, and I'm not talking about mainstream foreign news sources (to an American at least) like the BBC or Reuters. I'm talking about Russia Today, Al-Jeezera, and PressTV. While I consider PressTV to be mostly laughable, I find RT and Al-Jeezera to be enjoyable sources of information that,despite their obvious biases, don't patronize me by dumbing down the discourse to a middle-school or lower level. It doesn't matter what political bias the US MSM has, when a guest gets away from the approved left or right narrative they shut them down. I've seen RT allow a guest to finish a point that would have gotten them shouted/shut down equally quickly on either MSNBC or FOX.

I think another reason that the MSM is going after folks like us here at ATS is our ability to find interesting stories from local and international news agencies days and sometimes weeks before they bring them to the national discussion. One of the main reasons I still participate here is that I can often get a sense of what is going to be in the news, or being talked about a few days to a few weeks down the road. I feel that the ATS edge has slipped in that regard of late, mainly due to US general election followed by Sandy Hook, and the amount of effort the membership here has put into discussing those issues.

Regardless, simultaneous assaults on both the First and Second Amendments by "the most trusted name in news" is notable and disturbing.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The whole situation is unfortunate. I think that the push to lump us all together and demonize us as a collective group is calculated move. They don't want people to question anything ever!!

In regards to the topic that shall not be named, any reasonable logical thinking person would not even entertain the idea that it didn't happen. It isn't out of the realm of possibilty to think that it didn't happen as they are saying it did. There are 3 versions of a story, the "official story", the "theoretical stories" and the truth. The truth is usually in between and hardly ever in alignment with the other two stances.

The logical fallacy in thinking that nobody died is the sheer impossibility to get the amount of people involved to be "in on the coverup". The government would not be that sloppy as to potentially leave 1000's of loose ends to "come out" and shed light on thier alleged conspiracy.

To the argument that there were more than one shooter, that Lanza was an unwitting dupe, that the government could be so cold as to commit an atrocity of this magnitude. I have seen little to no bullet hole proof to the fact, that the govenment is not capable of such acts. When I see drone strikes, erosion of our rights, detainment camps, torture of detainees etc., etc., it leads one to believe they are more than immorally capable. A handful of loose ends is alot easier to deal with than 1000's are.

This is not to say that they did, however there are questions, and nobody has answered any of them to anyone with a brain's satisfaction.

Back on topic, well it is what it is, the only way we can respond is to persevere. Anyone incapable of thinking critically is already lost. Do we stop asking questions, looking for proof? In my mind that is not an option, logical people will come to the conclusion that even in our circle that there are people that are waaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb. If they demonize the whole collective it means that some of that collective are uncomfortably close to things they want to be kept hidden. I have no proof of that, it is just a gut feeling.

In response to the video posted, I found it quite insulting. I can understand being upset with some of the ludicrous theories being presented, but he came off as saying that anyone that questions anything can "go F**K themselves!" He came off as being very small minded, I pity him.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

The guy in the "anti-sandy hook conspiracy theorists" video made many valid points (though some editing for time is in order).

IMO the whole conspiracy "community" came about via a confluence of three main trends: 1] the government denying (or offering asinine explanations regarding) UFO sightings and 2] the demise of professional investigative journalism and 3] the decline of education (as in teaching folks how to think as opposed to what to think).

The "average" conspiracy mind-set is a lazy, fearful and paranoid one based on the fear that you'll be one of the bamboozled masses unless you get a handle on the manipulations "average" people are susceptible to.

It might be better to trust your fellow man unless given a reason not to. It makes for a far more interesting, accurate and pleasant reality model, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Genuine, well researched conspiracy theorists are not the problem. A theory is backed up by evidence confirmed by many sources / experiments... It's the CONSPIRACY 'SPECULATORS' that are the problem (and I do mean that in a cynical, profiteering, wall-street gambler way too).. Speculation, backed up by nothing but the IMAGINATION of the promoter, linking pieces of un/poorly confirmed 'evidence' plague all OBVIOUS CONSPIRACIES... There is no way of stopping it in this day and age....

Most of the prominent general alternative media spokesholes - ie. talk-radio hosts - are conspiracy speculators themselves... Never mind, they do promote a few facts, you've just got to take their BIAS into consideration... Most conspiracy speculators promote the fact that the power of the citizens compared to the power of the state are totally skewed in the wrong direction (from OUR point of view) so it's not the 'end of the world' (so to speak!!)...

What HUMANITY needs is DIRECT DEMOCRACY (votes on laws, issues (esp. foreign wars), crimes/punishment taxes and expenditure)... 'WE' need a TECHNOCRACY where WE are the 'technocrats'... It's doable in the West - but TPTB will never allow it, will THEY!?

POOR SPECULATION RUINS EVERYTHING!
edit on 18-1-2013 by PrivateSi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This has been going on for a while now. But, what do they expect? Investigative Journalism is pretty much nonexistent these days. Instead of investigating and finding the truth, their line is "Don't question us, if you do, you must be crazy."

How many times have you watched the news, and they are just commentating on a Youtube video? I know with the local news affiliates around here, that's usually the case anymore.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Some really brilliant assessments here. You guys are, as a collective, amazing. Just had to say that.

I totally agree with much of what was said above. I think something hit close to the mark and I suspect that it is also not something that one of the well-known conspiracy speculators are putting out there. Just knowing what it was would be like looking for a needle in a haystack and, even then, we'd probably not know for sure what. As it stands, I agree that the only course of action left is to persevere. If investigative journalism is dead (and CNN, this most former trusted of news sites has gone the way of the pundit and dismantled their investigative unit so I do believe it is), then the ONLY thing that is left to question and investigate would be the serious minded conspiracy theorists. If there is no professional investigative journalist working in the field appropriately and there can be such a thing as a "citizen journalist", then you all are, from hereon out and through necessity as our democracy requires a questioning and informed public, "investigative citizen journalists".

If the term "conspiracy theorist" is now getting heavily tainted, then let this be what you are.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by starshift

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Eyes are on you, ATS. What will you do with it?

Hopefully continue to expose the propaganda and disinformation for what it is.
edit on 16-1-2013 by starshift because: Simplification

Give them some more to explore (spot the difference).

edit on 19-1-2013 by Marlow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join