It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unprecedented Coverage of Conspiracy Theorists in the media

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
inexplicable double post.
edit on 17-1-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Some of the claims are outrageous, but not all of the questions. That's how it became obvious he was biased and had a legitimate agenda. He didn't address why these conspiracies existed. He was on a mission that had nothing to do with defending families hurt by conspiracies. It was to control what people think and say about this event lest they be branded a conspiracy theorist.

Now the people that only want to know about the two guys running in the woods and about the inconsistencies that were beyond bizarre get lumped in with the rest.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

EXACTLY!!!!
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Control the talking points.

God damn you if you DARE to have any questions!!!!
God Damn you to hell!!!!
Take the answers you are given and be happy with them or else you are #ting on the graves of ALL of these poor children!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I wasnt paying attention My bad.

Anyway If you check out the other vid it is long but he makes some good points. I think a good many people are speaking against C.T. now because the are disgusted about how some are handling SH. It has reached a low point.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

What?
What are you talking about?
Anderson Cooper most definitely did not address those things. He might have mentioned them, but he sure didn't answer any questions. You think I am b.s.? What? I haven't changed my opinion and what I said above makes sense does it not? Are you just trying to argue? Be clearer.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Sorry my bad I didn’t realize which post you were referring to. I didn’t check like I should have.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I'll fix my comment later, have to finish the video.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

It's fine. I thought you must have been talking about another thread because I didn't even see a video in this thread until I went back looking for what you were talking about.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

See.. this guy is going on but its just pointless.
He is talking about if you want answers you don't just demand them, you go on and find out. That's just ridiculous when you don't have the means or access to do so. So we demand them from our reporters and yes whenever they are talking about making huge changes to 300+ millions peoples rights we should be free to demand answers.

When you see a tragedy that people aren't capitalizing on or exploiting then you won't hear conspiracy theories.

I personally think the most of the sandy hook theories are absurd, but there are real questions that the media is not trying to answer and have actually made a point to make theorists look crazy while avoiding answering them. I mean, what happened to journalism really? What is this overemotional garbage on t.v.? The news?! What if I don't give a damn about conspiracy theories but I just want the damn story? I can't get it and as a reasonable person it's so ridiculous in trying that it DOES make you think twice.

Anderson Cooper didn't want to shut conspiracy theorists up, why? If he despises them so much why not shut them up? Is it because he can't? He couldn't so his only other option was to make them all look crazy?

They are just questions not bombs, I am sick of seeing this faux emotional garbage. People should be honest about their agendas.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Getting back to the actual thread I don't see a problem. Are you saying your list of headlines are false?
Substitute 'conspiracy theorists' for 'truth seekers', does that add to the truth or falseness of the headlines? I would have thought you would be pleased that you are attracting attention. Is there some reason you want to hide the fact that you are indeed someone who holds theories about conspiracies ? I would suggest to you that the reason conspiracy theorists are so much in the news these days is because people want to hear about them. They are not all empty-headed pawns as you might like to presume. If your arguments are right then eventually more and more people will take them on board regardless what the media call you.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Thing is AC didn’t try to make conspiracy theorists look crazy he didn’t have to try at all. The site owner pretty much said exactly what he did. If you want to point fingers at the ones responsible for making us look crazy you need to point them at the ones that actually make us look crazy and they are in the threads not on TV.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I just love how they take a wide brush and paint everyone with it. Seems to be their favorite pastime.
A few radical people within any given group, doesn't mean anything.
A few rotten apples does not spoil the whole barrel..unless you are speaking about politicians.
It's not like being a seeker of truth is something new...this site alone has been around over a decade.
The difference now, is they can't ignore us. If we weren't on to something before...we are now. And we aren't going away. We outnumber them now. What else can they do but man their first line of defense being a smear campaign against everyone who thinks outside the box. Piggy back a mental health act into a gun law to ensure they stay on top of things for years to come.
Newsflash...you can't enslave thoughts. Nor can you hide truth forever.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
the new 'conspiracy' that is now coming up is something about the ficticious girlfriend of a college football player.
hordes of regular people are on facebook and tweeting there two cents about it, and it is a big topic for jokes by morning show dj's.
as it stands, i expect ATS will generally leave that one alone.
it is becoming their latest ugly story of intrest, and i'm sure it is to be followed by lots of lance [armstrong] bashing, when opera's interview with him airs.
these are the people that are displaying their ignorance and lack of proper debunking techniques.

i believe that the bulk of the SH theories originated on blogs and youtube videos and were then posted here, usually with good intentions that we would be able to rationally discuss these issues

what i would like to point out is that ATS, while it is being lumped in with all the gabage that is being thrown around by citizens that are relatively new and not well versed in conspiracy theory, has made an effort to rise above the crowd and will continue to do so, though not on every thread posted.

if those in the main stream media have a problem with our ability to disect the information that they give us, they are the ones that need to rise to the occasion and perform their duties with much more integrity, instead of doing the bare minimum to get by while they collect their paychecks.

they only need to take a look back at 'WTC building 7 collapse reported 40 minutes before it happened' to see why they are the ones responsible for spreading this growing conspiracy culture.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
As many who have read my posts of late have notice, I am very concerned about the public view on conspiracy theorists these days. I look at the way our freedoms are being erroded, and I wonder how much longer it is until we are not free to discuss what we see.

As many who have read my posts also know, I put a large part of the blame on US for allowing our right to speak to trump logic. So much of what is out there these days, on so many topics, is baseless. People seem to have forgotten what the burden of proof is.

So I set out to see what kind of news coverage we are getting these days. We have all seen the threads on the bigger names discussing it. The Cooper's and the Morgan's and what have you. So I did a quick google search.

Holy Crap.

Here is a taste of the amount of news articles out there that mention 'Conspiracy Theorists' over the last week:

Sandy Hook Conspiracy Theory Video Debunked By Experts
www.huffingtonpost.com...
Why Sandy Hook Massacre Spawned Conspiracy Theories
news.yahoo.com...
Sandy Hook Conspiracy Theories Go From Idiocy to Active Harassment
www.policymic.com...
Now, conspiracy theorists call him a pedophile and a satanist and ...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
Gene Rosen, Sandy Hook Hero, Harassed By Conspiracy Theorists Who Claim He's An Actor
www.huffingtonpost.com...
Birther Conspiracy Theorists Still Believe Inauguration Won’t Proceed
www.mediaite.com...
Sandy Hook truthers: Conspiracy theorists out in full force
www.examiner.com...
Conspiracy theorists claim Sandy Hook tragedy is elaborate government hoax
www.vancouversun.com...
Sandy Hook school shooting conspiracy theory taken to cruel lunacy
www.allvoices.com...
Right-wing extremists, conspiracy theorists behind Gun Appreciation Day
tv.msnbc.com...
Leave It to a Conspiracy Theorist to Fight with the TSA
www.jaunted.com...

Well, you see what I am getting at. There are over 8 pages of headlines from just the LAST WEEK. I havent even come close to being able to look through them all yet.

Eyes are on you, ATS. What will you do with it?

I believe as this goes more and more mainstream it will be viewed by the "Public" as a nuisance and a problem with possible cases against so called Conspiracy Theorists and finally the GUB will do something about even though it violates the 5th Amendment.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is a very well established step in creating a fascist state, there are numerous "citizens groups" and activist groups that coming under fire and being demonized. Where as I understand the ire that us "Conspiracy Theorists " are feeling for the recent frontal assault, I have been under fire for quite awhile now and it seems to be ratcheting up along with the kookifiying Conspiracy Theorists. I am an advocate for sustainability, mostly teaching lower income and the disabled how to be less dependent on income to provide sustenance and basic living essentials. I work with communities to develop community gardens, co-ops and what-not. I have seen a huge rise in labeling people like me as hippies and preppers and I am seeing a lot of derision from leaders in the communities. I have also seen State and Federal grants for these programs dry up or be available only to Colleges, Corporations and local government. My belief is that it is all part of the process and eventually that without intervention we will loose our country.Don't get mad because YOU are being a kook, get mad because we ALL are being called kooks.
Fascist America, in 10 easy steps

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by captaintyinknots

When you read some of those headlines I have to agree there are a great many lunatics operating at a very high level of efficiency. It sounds a little like you are mixing up conspiracy theorist with something like fact finder. They are not the same and one is correct while the other is only surmising.

I am not mixing up anything. I know what a conspiracy theorist is. I know what a skeptic is. I, personally, consider myself an information junkie. I just want all the information that I can get my hands on. After Ive seen all the information, then I make a conclusion. And sometimes, more information comes out after I think ive had it all. So then I readjust my conclusion accordingly.

But let me ask, do you think the average person, seeing those articles, would differentiate between you, a person who considers them self a truth seeker, me, who considers myself an information junkie, and the 'conspiracy theorist' spoken of in those articles?

I highly doubt it.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
The reason we are drawing such attention is that the standards of us, those who should provide the burden of proof when making claims has fallen to such a low point that in many instances it is nonexistent.

Nothing more than someones spidey sense tingling or they feel that a person’s facial expression is not satisfactory.

There has been such an influx of so called truth seekers who do not understand the concept of providing evidence to back up their claims and they make no attempt to do so.

It is almost like they are spitballing or thinking out loud when they type out these ideas. Inevitably some latch on to these ideas but there was never any evidence to back them up.

We are brought down by the lowest common denominator and that will always be the most outlandish or disgusting among us. Unfortunately the darkest and lowest of our ranks are the ones the media gives attention to and that is why our credibility is destroyed. We have failed to self-govern ourselves when we could and should have where the burden of proof should be demanded. Instead many just let it slide and that is the same to the media as us approving of such tactics.

The MSM only needs a 5 minute slot to shine a spotlight on us when we let ourselves slip to such darkness and that 5 minute piece destroys years of work. It is unfortunate but it is the facts of how it works.

edit on 17-1-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

This needed to be quoted for exposure. It is perfectly stated.

THEY have the public voice to be heard by everyone. We simply do not. Therefore, their opinion will always echo louder than ours throughout society.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ginga
Good list there

I hate the term "conspiracy theorist". Whenever I have tried to explain things to friends, whether it be 9/11, Princess Di or whatever, I get the, "Oh no, you're not a conspiracy theorist are you?"

There definitely seems to be a media campaign to ramp up the dislike of people who search for the truth on stories. What I do find encouraging of many stories online is a great deal of comments are by people who are not prepared to have the wool pulled over their eyes any longer.

wrong conspirecies....
try these verified and admitted ones
1...gulf of tonkin
2...watergate
3...iran contra
but, only clinton got impeached for lying about a sexual affair
edit on 17-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I think the reason why there is unprecedented (and I agree, it is unprecedented) news coverage of conspiracy theory is because we are in an unique situation. We have a nation whose Congress had the lowest historical approval rating (whether through their own action/inaction or through the radical polarization of the media). We also had a large scale movement that occurred in nearly every city in the U.S. and, in which, many allegations of abuses occurred that were doubtless shared across social media. Whether one agrees with the political movement or not, watching things like U.C. Davis or the young women downtown in NYC getting sprayed by pepper spray would have had a chilling effect. Accusations of misreporting and press blackouts most likely would explain the decline in viewership of major MSM. Both CNN and Fox suffered 25% declines in viewership last year. That means that those people were likely looking elsewhere for their news sources and were likely exposed to a variety of conspiracies. I'm the kind of person that most people open up to (ironically, I'm an anathema on forums but then again, I let my freak flag fly by not hiding how much I'm observing society and its dynamics so can't blame people). Over the last year, I have heard conspiracy theories emanating from such varied sources as the old lady down the street to the electrician--either open queries of "what is the government doing?" in some nefarious light or reporting of what they thought might be chemtrails to declarations of specific people being tagged by the government, and much, much more. Toss in the media overhyping of 2012 that had as many as 1 in 5 believing that it was the end of the world and searching for the means to that end and you have a perfect storm indeed.

The reason why Sandy Hook conspiracy theories is being used is because it is socially repugnant. Think about it. It is, essentially, denying the grief of parents who lost their children or casting it in suspect light. The loss of one's child is one of those things that the majority of parents fear. Being disrespectful of that loss, for the majority, is behaving like the equivalent of a former gas chamber operator at Auschwitz and causes recoil. If you had a public that was beginning to listen to questions and thoughts about conspiracies, then what better target than those who are suggesting conspiracy about something that would be innately morally repugnant to discuss or deny? The MSM plays off of feelings and loves to encourage of a sense of righteousness in its viewers. Just look at what they did with the public opinion of the Occupy Movement if you are capable of maintaining neutrality on the subject, it should be plain to see. This time, conspiracy theorists are in the crosshair--cause and effect.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
If the conspiracy were true they'd be ignoring it.

All Sandy Hook conspirators do is discredit any real conspiracy out there.

edit on 16-1-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

Certainly IS a conspiracy here, no evidence, more tears from the reporters than families, no way of verifying anything going on.

And giant mouthfuls of slop and constantly changing stories, and the most relevant parts, the guns, STILL not being agreed upon by anyone, but yet the media continues its "Oh we know exactly what happened here so lets talk about banning guns, HOW DARE YOU SAY DIFFERENT".

Frankly people who cannot see that they really know JACK about this story, surely should not be telling people that they do...and proclaiming that questioning the usual mainstream crap that goes on is not being a conspiracy theorist at all, these are people who KNOW they are being lied too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join