It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manti Te'o (Notre Dame Heisman finalist) dead girlfriend a HOAX

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Or, imagine for a moment you are a kid who exaggerated or even fabricated a story about a girl, and the next thing you know it's all over the news, and they are inviting you on their shows to publicly 'fess up to it.

I think we all know some of it is bogus. But hey, don't stop til the kid is completely humiliated!!!!

Then you can say "See? He's was lying and I'm not. I'm so fabulous'.

If you think about it, it's such a petty thing. Maybe he owes his friends and coach an explanation. But if it were me, I'd gladly tell A. Cooper and the rest of them to go to hell. He owes them nothing.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
But, at least we've added to our vocabulary with "Catfishing".

I like it. I mean, I like it when known words are used in a new way.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The guy with the most egg on his face will be the AD at Notre Dame. I don't think Manti's a bad person, I just think this one got away from him and out of his control way faster and bigger than he anticipated. But now that the AD Jack Swarbrick had an extremely emotional press conference throwing the full considerable weight and might of the university behind Manti, it's a much bigger deal.

The relevant story now (IMO) isn't 'kid has fake girlfriend', but instead, how the hell is Notre Dame that gullible? Whether the media reported accurately and diligently or not, it sure doesn't seem like the university was doing much to vet the kid's story as it was unfolding in the national media. Since the run-up to the Heisman is a pretty big deal for schools with players in the running, don't they bear some responsibility here to ensure the public faces of their institutions are speaking with veracity?

As an aside, I sure don't remember this much flap by the University when that poor kid fell off the camera scaffold and died at a football practice. Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
Or, imagine for a moment you are a kid who exaggerated or even fabricated a story about a girl, and the next thing you know it's all over the news, and they are inviting you on their shows to publicly 'fess up to it.

I think we all know some of it is bogus. But hey, don't stop til the kid is completely humiliated!!!!

If you think about it, it's such a petty thing. Maybe he owes his friends and coach an explanation. But if it were me, I'd gladly tell A. Cooper and the rest of them to go to hell. He owes them nothing.

Couldn't agree more. At that age, i couldn't escape from stories about the latest sexual conquests from my fellow peers. I can guarantee one thing, the majority were made up!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This is the funniest thing that has ever happened.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
A lot seem to be saying give the kid a break, but come on... this internet thing is no new beast anymore. The number one rule of online dating is to see the person you are chatting to on cam. To go months on end without doing so and fall for somebody's picture only really happens to old timers who are new to the internet.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre

I'd agree with you wholeheartedly if he were just any kid on the sideline of any football program in any given year. However, this kid was number 2 in the Heisman race. If he had won, he would be the first specifically defensive player to ever win. He would be #1 draft pick and stand to make millions and millions from winning that award. The tragedy of his fake girlfriend was very much a centerpiece of the "campaign" to get him the Heisman. Chatting with a ND fan friend of mine on the night of the National Championship game I pointed out that T'eo's stats aren't that good, especially considering how high he was in the Heisman race. The response I got was, "Yeah, but no team has a better team leader. Look what he went through in his life and how the team has rallied around him."

SO... The fake girlfriend may not just be a fake girlfriend. If T'eo was in on it in order to increase his public image and increase his chance at the Heisman, then it was a hoax that potentially could have netted him millions of dollars. Therefore, you can't just dismiss this story as a kid who let a little lie about his gf get out of hand. If T'eo was part of the conspiracy, then he has systematically lied for sole purpose of sole monetary gain... which in my book would make him an bad guy. If he wasn't in on it, and he really was just "catfished" then I have sympathy and he's probably a good guy.

We need to know the truth. The NFL needs to know the truth before anyone drafts him. Is he pathologically dishonest? Or just epic stupid? Neither are good, but it's the difference between fitting in with the Patriots or the Browns.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Yet, as the New York Times notes, in October The South Bend Tribune had this description of their initial meeting in 2009: “Lennay Kekua was a Stanford student and Cardinal football fan when the two exchanged glances, handshakes and phone numbers that fateful weekend three seasons ago." In the same article, Te'o's father said that Kekua would occasionally travel to Hawaii, “so he would meet with her there.”

nymag.com...

Did Manti ever meet this "girlfriend" in real life or not?

Something tells me that Manti just recently discovered that "Lennay" was really "Lenny" and now all of a sudden he claims he never met her in real life.

That may be the true cover up.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKMDC1
I think this is the real story:

Notre Dame Finds Fake Dead Woman Easier to Talk About Than Real Dead Woman

The whole Lizzy Seeberg incident is so sad. I feel like the school is to blame for her death. There was also a Notre Dame student killed when the football coach sent a guy up a scissor lift to film practice in a windstorm. He fell and died. Again, the whole thing was covered up. Notre Dame should be ashamed of themselves.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What?

Will the truth come out today?

An ambiguous tweet was sent from a Twitter account late last night defending Samoan players Mauia and Troy Polamalu, saying: 'It isn't fair to drag Reagan and Troy into this...a lot of truths and myths need to be addressed here, and they will be at noon PST tomorrow.'

Though he was forthcoming about saying he knew Kekua, Mauia jumped to the defense of the Pittsburgh Steelers star today, tweeting: 'Troy Polamalu did not meet Lennay or knew of her @ all. He's being unfairly dragged into this & has absolutely no involvement.' The Steelers star retweeted this to his half-a-million followers.

But Mauia did confirm to ESPN last night that he had met Kekua when he did charity work in American Samoa. He claimed that Troy Polamalu had been with him and other Polynesian players. 'This was before her and Manti. I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends,' he said.

www.dailymail.co.uk... ers.html

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
What?

Will the truth come out today?

An ambiguous tweet was sent from a Twitter account late last night defending Samoan players Mauia and Troy Polamalu, saying: 'It isn't fair to drag Reagan and Troy into this...a lot of truths and myths need to be addressed here, and they will be at noon PST tomorrow.'

Though he was forthcoming about saying he knew Kekua, Mauia jumped to the defense of the Pittsburgh Steelers star today, tweeting: 'Troy Polamalu did not meet Lennay or knew of her @ all. He's being unfairly dragged into this & has absolutely no involvement.' The Steelers star retweeted this to his half-a-million followers.

But Mauia did confirm to ESPN last night that he had met Kekua when he did charity work in American Samoa. He claimed that Troy Polamalu had been with him and other Polynesian players. 'This was before her and Manti. I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends,' he said.

What the heck? This is such a weird story.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by broctune

It looks to me like Te'o and Ronaiah Tuiasosopo may have been in on this together, but now the University is trying to cover Te'o's butt?

That player believes Te'o initially fell for a hoax, but carried on with it for the publicity even after he discovered the truth.

edit on 18-1-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by broctune
There was also a Notre Dame student killed when the football coach sent a guy up a scissor lift to film practice in a windstorm. He fell and died. Again, the whole thing was covered up. Notre Dame should be ashamed of themselves.

Not sure what you mean by 'covered up', but that story was certainly all over the news. Google up 'Declan Sullivan'. It was a tragic accident.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Here's another problem...

Although the person committing the hoax may have come out and identified his role here...

"Friend: Tuiasosopo admitted to hoax"

espn.go.com...

I'm reading news reports that Te'o still kept repeating the lie on December 8th & 10th, even after he confessed the hoax to the University on December 6th.

So, who's encouraging Te'o to do that?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by broctune
There was also a Notre Dame student killed when the football coach sent a guy up a scissor lift to film practice in a windstorm. He fell and died. Again, the whole thing was covered up. Notre Dame should be ashamed of themselves.

Not sure what you mean by 'covered up', but that story was certainly all over the news. Google up 'Declan Sullivan'. It was a tragic accident.

By "covered up" I meant that nobody at Notre Dame was charged with a crime. The university/football coach was extremely negligent and it resulted in a death.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by broctune

I think you're misinformed.

Settlement info.

Family's reaction.

Apparently the legal jurisdiction with responsibility in the matter didn't see it as rising to the level of criminal negligence which certainly wouldn't be the university's call to make. The family elected to not pursue a civil action.

The university at worst, may not have reacted with the level of remorse we'd like to see, but I don't think you can reasonably take it further than that.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SKMDC1

Aha! You've made some good points!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

From my point of view, a much bigger story would be why do so many people care that a kid has a fake girlfriend?

It gave him and Notre Dame national attention and coveted media spots for their games.

It made Manti a runner up in the most prestigous award in college football that is traditionally an offensive award....he is a defensive player.

There is evidence that Manti was in on it, at the very least, once he found out this was a hoax he continued to play along with it to sustain his media stardom.

Is it a conspiracy to change the world...no...but it is very interesting.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Supposedly a friend pulled the hoax on Manti, using his cousin as the woman.

espn.go.com...

What kind of pal does that? Maybe he's taking the fall for him?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join