It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Step Toward an Alzheimer's Vaccine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Intro:
I work as a nurse at a nome for people with mixed needs.
ALOT of them with alzhimers. I see these ppl day out day
in, dealing with traumas from the past, or ppl that THEY
see. No matter what kind of stimuli you give wether its
drugs or social, NOTHING helps sometimes.

Now i saw this at Science Daily
And in my head i saw atleast 6 ppl that would be able to LEAVE
this home and move back with their respectives or familys.

And then 2sec´s later, nhaa, it´ll be years and years before
this could be available to them..And THAT pizz me off
SEVERLY....

A team of researchers from Université Laval, CHU de Québec, and pharmaceutical firm GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has discovered a way to stimulate the brain's natural defense mechanisms in people with Alzheimer's disease. This major breakthrough, details of which are presented January 15 in an early online edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), opens the door to the development of a treatment for Alzheimer's disease and a vaccine to prevent the illness.

And this:

In mice with Alzheimer's symptoms, weekly injections of MPL over a twelve-week period eliminated up to 80% of senile plaques. In addition, tests measuring the mice's ability to learn new tasks showed significant improvement in cognitive function over the same period.

80%!!!

Damn!!!!
edit on 2013/1/16 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
You'll forgive me if I don't jump for joy...vaccine? For something thats not caused by a virus or bacteria- as far as we know? And especially since pharmaceutical companies have proven themselves extremely self-serving when it comes to drug efficacy trials. Sounds like more money for big pharma to me.
edit on 1/16/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

So the reporter didn't get it right. Tell that to the mice.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
My mom is in a nursing home (past 7 years) with Alz.

Hope she were to be cured so she can kick my sibling's butts for shoving all of her care and responsibility onto me. OOh boy, would they be in troubleeee.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

If they live long enough.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

No no no...Doesnt HAVE to be VIRAL..
Can be anything realy:

A vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease. A vaccine typically contains an agent that resembles a disease-causing microorganism, and is often made from weakened or killed forms of the microbe, its toxins or one of its surface proteins. The agent stimulates the body's immune system to recognize the agent as foreign, destroy it, and "remember" it, so that the immune system can more easily recognize and destroy any of these microorganisms that it later encounters. Vaccines may be prophylactic (example: to prevent or ameliorate the effects of a future infection by any natural or "wild" pathogen), or therapeutic (e.g. vaccines against cancer are also being investigated; see cancer vaccine). The term vaccine derives from Edward Jenner's 1796 use of cow pox (Latin variola vaccinia, adapted from the Latin vaccīn-us, from vacca, cow), to inoculate humans, providing them protection against smallpox. "With the exception of safe water, no other modality, not even antibiotics, has had such a major effect on mortality reduction and population growth."[1]

Alzheimers caused by "toxin".. Amyloid beta
The "vaccine" stimulate the imune to get rid
of the toxin..In my words...
edit on 2013/1/16 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Just the word "vaccine' gives me the heebee geebies.

I would hope anyone dealing with Alzheimer's patients should be fully versed on the potential affects of coconut oil.

Doctor Uses Coconut Oil to Reverse Husband's Alzheimer's Disease

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well i watched the YT vid on Coconut Oil
and it sounds interesting..I´ll see if i can
"slide" it over to relatives to my "friends"
at work..I mean its not a drug. And IF
it has the effects that she says, fine...
I´ll buy it for them myself...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I read this article stating that alzheimer's is really a form of diabetes. Considering how important sugar is, or lack of it to a healthy brain...I'm inclined to believe it.
www.naturalnews.com...
If they can develop a vaccine to cure it, then surely it also has an affect on those who are diabetic.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

And i work with those too...Like i said.
A home for ppl with various needs..

Soo, coconutoil and liposomal...
Gonna be some busy weeks
ahed...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
My father died with Alzheimers. I am 63 - I hope this works. Oh look something shiny I'll be right back.........

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington

Just the word "vaccine' gives me the heebee geebies.

I would hope anyone dealing with Alzheimer's patients should be fully versed on the potential affects of coconut oil.

Doctor Uses Coconut Oil to Reverse Husband's Alzheimer's Disease

I'm glad someone brought up the coconut oil thing. The big pharma answer is just a phosoLIPID.

But the new study gives the brain's immune cells a boost through monophosphoryl lipid A, called MPL, which is a vaccine that has already been proven safe through its use with GSK.

Proven safe? Or not...

www.whale.to...

Just get some coconut oil. Organic and not hydrogenized...

edit on 16-1-2013 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

Just.. see above.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

No no no...Doesnt HAVE to be VIRAL.. Can be anything realy:

You have to be kidding ? Do you even understand there is an issue of trust involved here ? Not just on this site but across this nation and really the world ? I remember when Guardisil first came out. I nailed that one. Told my wife to check out that there was now a viral cancer. And don't even fall for that crap. Well her daughter comes back from her aunt's house one day saying they both needed to go get the vaccination. And TSHTF ! I was immediately on the horn and her aunt ended up not getting the vaccine either.

Needless to say I'm forever the guy they all check with now. Not that I know everything and they follow like sheep. But they do see me as a source to consider for info. Sorry I don't trust them, any of their studies or their data. And damn sure don't believe the cognitive can improve for mice. The crap most likely has mouse DNA..
edit on 16-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I think its worth a shot. Alzheimer's is the worst thing I have ever been exposed to. The effects are absolutely devastating. I am optimistic

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

And you know what Jay ? You are a member here I know is well informed enough, to check the weights and measures and and make that kind of decision. I've seen diversity from you concerning a few different topics and you been a member since before I signed on. So I can respect that your hope is at least some what more calculated.
If you can still find a way to trust these companies maybe you know something I don't. For me based on what I've spent time on ? Screw that.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well buddy, I'll tell ya, I should say I am cautiously optimistic. I have to hold out hope that they ARE trying to do legitimate science. Haha. I mean, we aren't talking about vaccinating kids here. These are mostly elderly patients. I can't see much benefit in some nefarious scheme here. Also, they are talking about this being a potential cure for people who already have the disease. If it scares people to be vaccinated, would they support the idea of this being given to a parent of their's who is inflicted? I darn sure would.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by randyvs

Well buddy, I'll tell ya, I should say I am cautiously optimistic. I have to hold out hope that they ARE trying to do legitimate science. Haha. I mean, we aren't talking about vaccinating kids here. These are mostly elderly patients. I can't see much benefit in some nefarious scheme here. Also, they are talking about this being a potential cure for people who already have the disease. If it scares people to be vaccinated, would they support the idea of this being given to a parent of their's who is inflicted? I darn sure would.

Just as I Said.

I tend to have a knee JERK reaction when I hear or read the word vaccine and what you say makes perfect sense. I immediately concede to your point.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by randyvs

And thats basicly what im saying too...
I wont go near those shots my self, let alone my kids..
But the "friends" i work with everyday, thats a WHOLE
lot of diffrent storys.
Me, i´ll settle for coconutoil and liposomal.
And i´ll "inform" the relatives at work..

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I just have to say, I wish I had never believed the "hype" and what I was told about the Gardasil vaccine. A few years ago I had the first two of the three.. and I've never been the same. I have a neurological auto-immune disease that had been bad, but stagnant for a few years. Never getting worse. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but after having the second shot, it has progressed so badly that the pain I experience on a daily basis went from bad to unbearable and excruciating (And my pain is in a completely different part of my body than the vaccine was given). I've tried every treatment, natural and alternative including my diet (Eating non-processed foods, green smoothies every day, healthy oils and herbs too), meds, no meds, (And I see an Osteopathic doctor now), but nothing has helped.

I also experienced the most awful mental changes after that. Terrible anxiety, depression and just.. not myself. It literally started that June after the second shot. I've finally overcome the mental changes, thank goodness. Suffice to say, I never went and got the third. I know others have had that vaccine and were fine, but maybe because I already had a health issue, it just made it worse? I'll never know. But now I won't so much as get the flu shot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join