It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians announce retrieval of first clean ice sample from Lake Vostok in Antarctica!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I sure hope no bugs are pulled out of there... We still don't know wht killed the dinos... It was not a meteor, we know that now...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
You're right, it was no meteor, it was a combination of factors, including an asteroid(s), volcanism and associated environmental and climatic factors. There was no one 'magic bullet' that led to it, rather a 'spray and pray'.
It didn't happen overnight either, though the Chicxulub impactor was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

This (Lake Vostok) is cool news and excites the science-geek in me.

edit on 16-1-2013 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

added
edit on 16-1-2013 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It`s the government! they are putting up a fake warning to keep people from visiting the site and finding the truth!!....or not

It will be very interesting to see what they find in that water when they test it, i hope that test results will be posted and this story just doesnt fade away before we can see the test results.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. So now we have an update. It's an interesting expedition. We will be closer to finding out what the magnetic anomaly is and hopefully there's no resources so rich we end up destroying the place.

As for dangerous microbial life forms or evidence of previous civilisations, I'm not holding my breath. The mars rover needs to find that stuff ;P

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
For those getting security warning trying visit the site, here's the stories lead-in...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
That's pretty interesting. Hopefully, they find something cool; even if it wipes out the human race. This thread is also another reason google chrome and its products are inferior.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
i wonder if they dropped a fishing line in that hole...Xtreme Ice fishing indeed!!

Be our luck they pull up sme ancient virus/bacteria that wipes us all out or turns us int ZOMBIES

but seriously couldnt we have fed a lot of starving kids with the money spent on ths project?
I can thiink of several more important things to spend money on

edit on 16-1-2013 by StumpDrummer because: forgot to add to original post

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by StumpDrummer
i wonder if they dropped a fishing line in that hole...Xtreme Ice fishing indeed!!

Be our luck they pull up sme ancient virus/bacteria that wipes us all out or turns us int ZOMBIES

but seriously couldnt we have fed a lot of starving kids with the money spent on ths project?

Yea like Afghanistan, Iraq, bank bailouts,raises for the parasites . All are much better things to spend money on than scientific discovery

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Another_Nut

Originally posted by StumpDrummer

Yea like Afghanistan, Iraq, bank bailouts,raises for the parasites . All are much better things to spend money on than scientific discovery

Thank you very much for your comment, Another_Nut. Stars for you.

I really hope that they do not find ancient freezed "Idiots" in that deeps.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Just for everybody to know phys.org seems to be hacked. OP has nothing to do with it and phys.org even knows the problem, but admits, that there is no security issue... I don't know. I will not visit this link...

for more info about this problem with phys.org www.networkworld.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
Dang I have been waiting for an update on this seems like forever lol

With this latest extraction, the Russians insist they've retrieved a pure sample, but they won't know for sure until they get it back to their lab and study it – that won't happen though till it grows warm enough in Antarctica for a ship to arrive to carry the sample home in the spring.

guess were gonna have to wait alot longer. Why even tell us lol

snf

If they find "something", and I think so, they will spread world-wide their discovery.
For sure.

edit on 17-1-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
You gotta appreciate the time and effort.

I'd rather them not announce such a find without some sort of conclusion as to what is in that water! Anticipation is killing me.
edit on 1-17-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Sounds like they found some pristine ice cold drinking water.
Maybe they are taking it back to Russia to make the most expensive bottle of vodka ever. One million dollars, per shot.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Couldn't a deadly virus stay alive or actually frozen in it's state until it is released into a regular temperature? Who knows what could be buried underneath all that ice for as long as it has been??

Just saying it got my mind going on the topic, and have been thinking about it since this story broke forever ago....

I hope there is nothing down there like that......But would be cool to find something on a much more positive note!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Am I the only one that doubts that the Russians can pull this off without contaminating the sample, or the whole lake for that matter?
Don't get me wrong, I have been following this for a long time and hope for the best, but just don't have confidence in their ability to produce a pure, uncontaminated sample.
Even if it is contaminated it it is still a great engineering achievement.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
Am I the only one that doubts that the Russians can pull this off without contaminating the sample, or the whole lake for that matter?
Don't get me wrong, I have been following this for a long time and hope for the best, but just don't have confidence in their ability to produce a pure, uncontaminated sample.

To me that came off straight up racist. Can you back your statement up with anything?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mugen

Originally posted by Sparky63

To me that came off straight up racist. Can you back your statement up with anything?

Some people seem to see racism no matter where they look.
I am doubtful that a pure sample can be achieved, mainly because of the harsh environment. I also doubt NASA's ability to send probes to Mars without contaminating that environment. Does that me make me racist against all the nationalities of people that work for NASA?
Go troll someone else.
edit on 1/17/2013 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Wow man chill. It's just that you made a bold statement with zero words backing it up.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mugen
reply to post by Sparky63

Wow man chill. It's just that you made a bold statement with zero words backing it up.

I don't need to back up my opinion with anything. You could have asked me nicely and would have been glad to explain my reasons for feeling the way I do. But to cry "racism" is ridiculous.
This site is definitely not the place it used to be.
edit on 1/17/2013 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join