It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians announce retrieval of first clean ice sample from Lake Vostok in Antarctica!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Finally! The team of Russian researchers and engineers working in Antarctica have succeeded in taking a clean sample of water from Lake Vostok, a liquid water lake sealed beneath two miles of ice sheets at the bottom of the world. After one year, maybe, we can know what secrets this enigmatic subglacial lake holds in its deeps... This achievement into Lake Vostok is a hope or a threat? Is Lake Vostok the Pandora's box?

Credit: NSF (Phys.org)—Researchers with Russia's Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute have announced that they have successfully retrieved a clean ice core sample from Lake Vostok in Antarctica. The sample, taken from a bore hole drilled over two miles through the ice to the lake underneath, is the result of years of effort. Researchers hope to find evidence in the ice of life on Earth as it existed as far back as 20 million years ago.

phys.org...
www.geekosystem.com...
blogs.scientificamerican.com...

Related Thread: Lake Vostok

edit on 16-1-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
My computer will not allow me to visit the link.

I click the link, and there is instantly a warning.

So then I google'd phys. org and when I clicked the link, I received the following warning:

Suggestions:

Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you're looking for.

Or you can continue to phys.org... at your own risk. For detailed information about the problems we found, visit Google's Safe Browsing diagnostic page for this site.

For more information about how to protect yourself from harmful software online, you can visit StopBadware.org.

If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google's Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
Advisory provided by Google

What are you trying to pull here!?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
WARNINGWARNING

The Website Ahead Contains Malware!
Google Chrome has blocked access to phys.org for now.
Even if you have visited this website safely in the past, visiting it now is very likely to infect your computer with malware.
Malware is malicious software that causes things like identity theft, financial loss, and permanent file deletion. Learn more

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
it's a fairly well known site and shouldn't have malware, but i had the same warning as well. perhaps they don't know that something's trying to infect their users

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by retirednature
My computer will not allow me to visit the link.

Haha.. You're funny.. Your computer won't allow.. You're the boss not compy.. I went to the link anyway, and none of my active protection systems noticed anything wrong..

One piece of the Article that was interesting was that They won't Look at the sample until spring, when the boats get there...

More waiting it seems..

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

It will be nice if they find samples of rare distinct species that we have never heard of before,or some kind of lost civilization or a unique prehistoric race sealed under the ice for ages....Well they are most likely focused on finding resources anyways.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Thanks Arken 1 was wondering how things were going down there its been really quiet on the subject as of recent. I will keep a look out for further updates and thanks again.. The oil samples is where the interesting stuff may be. Still interesting find with what is being shared now.

NAMASTE*******
edit on 1/16/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Source

Some of the water was even served to Vladimir Putin
Of course it was

Inside it was a vertical channel filled with white bubble-rich ice."

No "native life" discovered thus far, even at 2.3 miles down. Still intriguing though and I hope something fascinating is revealed.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Thank you for the news, but it says REPORTED ATTACK PAGE for me also.
Would rather just hear your thoughts on what you've read than risk getting something on my system.
Did your system tell you it's an attack page as well before posting it on here?
Just saying.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The Phys.org web page work fine for me...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
The Phys.org web page work fine for me...

Thought it was another hack issue, it worked for me as well.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
And the last transmission from the site was "Ia, ia Cthulhu ftagn"

Then nothing.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Dang I have been waiting for an update on this seems like forever lol

With this latest extraction, the Russians insist they've retrieved a pure sample, but they won't know for sure until they get it back to their lab and study it – that won't happen though till it grows warm enough in Antarctica for a ship to arrive to carry the sample home in the spring.

guess were gonna have to wait alot longer. Why even tell us lol

snf

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I hope Kurt Russel's there...just in case..

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

In the spring? But isn't it summer in Antartica now? Or am i missing something.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
And the last transmission from the site was "Ia, ia Cthulhu ftagn"

Then nothing.

"It's from the stories of H. P. Lovecraft, in particular his "The Call of Cthulhu" available in the Dunwich Horror and other stories, but originally published in Weird Tales in the thirties. It roughly means Cthulhu lives. Also check out the website for Chaosium which does a Cthulhu Mythos role playing game.

You where being serious right. Bedlam ?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

That must be what the magnetic anomaly is...Cthulhu.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Found this statment in the comments section relating to the failed British drilling,

"Conservatives in England share their opposition to science and reason with their republican counterparts in the USA."

British Conservatives are the Darwinian if im correct in thinking ?

What about the US republicans way offf thinking ?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

Anytime you start drilling near Rl'yeh, I start worrying about Cthulhu.

Or the Andromeda Strain. Either would work.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I think that this is an amazing story, although it will likely take many years to get most of the results (the ones revealed of course).

One thing I find weird is that they go WAY out of their way to dig down to this lake, and they didn't bring a field lab with them to analyse what they find.

An to open a breach to a lake or area that have been sealed for this long, who knows what could be down there and perhaps be released into the wild. Ok I know that Antartica isn't the most friendly environment but still. Didn't I read somewhere that many years ago, A petrified forest had been located under the ice in antartica? I could be wrong but I beleive I am right. Anyway, if its so, that means there once was life down there, and maybe still is
Here is one link

I think I watch too much tv!

Love this story nonetheless! S+F OP
edit on 16-1-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join