It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This was an issue a decade ago, are we just going to watch as history repeats?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Just been doing some extra reading, and with every thing that is going on, it seems the same firearms issue we are having now, was discussed about ten years ago.

8% of criminals...are getting the law abiding citizens, liberties taken away.

That is like saying, don't blame all cops because of one bad apple, or just because blah blah blah...when the shoe is on your feet, its bad. But when its on theirs...oh well, don't blame all of us they say.

3.1. Criminal Use of Assault Weapons

Numerous studies have examined the use of AWs in crime prior to the federal ban. The definition of AWs varied across the studies and did not always correspond exactly to that of the 1994 law (in part because a number of the studies were done prior to 1994). In general, however, the studies appeared to focus on various semiautomatics with detachable magazines and military-style features. According to these accounts, AWs typically accounted for up to 3.1. Criminal Use of Assault Weapons Numerous studies have examined the use of AWs in crime prior to the federal ban. The definition of AWs varied across the studies and did not always correspond exactly to that of the 1994 law (in part because a number of the studies were done prior to 1994). In general, however, the studies appeared to focus on various semiautomatics with detachable magazines and military-style features. According to these accounts, AWs typically accounted for up to 8% of guns used in crime, depending on the specific AW definition and data source used (e.g., see Beck et al., 1993; Hargarten et al., 1996; Hutson et al., 1994; 1995; McGonigal et al., 1993; New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, 1994; Roth and Koper, 1997, Chapters 2, 5, 6; Zawitz, 1995). A compilation of 38 sources indicated that AWs accounted for 2% of crime guns on average (Kleck, 1997, pp.112, 141-143). of guns used in crime, depending on the specific AW definition and data source used (e.g., see Beck et al., 1993; Hargarten et al., 1996; Hutson et al., 1994; 1995; McGonigal et al., 1993; New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, 1994; Roth and Koper, 1997, Chapters 2, 5, 6; Zawitz, 1995). A compilation of 38 sources indicated that AWs accounted for 2% of crime guns on average (Kleck, 1997, pp.112, 141-143).

National Institute of Justice Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban and Gun Violence 1994-2003

So is 8% enough to justify taking some thing from every one? More people die from a vehicle related cause of death, which is higher than 8%. Where is the vehicle ban? Where is the binge drinking ban,.

Come on now, why is there a ban on common sense?!

edit on 15-1-2013 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Well unfortunately it seems as a society we repeat the same mistakes/issues over and over again over the history of mankind. So to answer your question the answer is yes.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I have only posted once about this but will do so one more time here because it is relevant to your thread.

Why is one incident going to punish the other 300 000 million people in your population?
Even 5 incidents or even 10.

A few bad apples and everyone has to pay??
Really?
1 guy is really going to ruin it for the rest of the 300 000 million???

300 000 million people because of a few idiots??
Really??

The media and presstitutes sure aren't helping in any way.

I feel like I am in a twilight zone episode.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------

I will add a member's signature because it made so much sense to me when I read it today.

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world.Stupid is as destructive as evil...maybe more so and its a hell of alot more common.
What we really need is a crusade against stupid.
That might actually make a difference"

I thank this member for having it in his signature.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Common sense isn't common anymore.
edit on 15-1-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
1/2 a million people die every year from cigarettes.
50K of those from second hand smoke.

Those are big numbers.
Yet we do nothing about putting the cigarette industry out of business.

But since that's not plastered 24 hours a day on the news no one cares.

Personally if they want to restrict who can have high capacity magazines. Then they can have them.
But leave the guns alone.

edit on 15-1-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

You could realistically make that statement about tons of things...

Cars
Drinking
Fatty foods (cholesterol)
Smoking (cancer)

I mean the list goes on and on......I just think Obama wants to show everyone he has the power to change whatever he wants at any time for any reason! He is pushing the limits of the American people, and we can't stand for it, or it could get out of hand!

This was a right given to everyone by our founding fathers and Obama wants to come into the picture and say who were the founding fathers? He wants to act like a dictator and it is getting annoying!!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

not just obama.
It's all presidents.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

edit on 15-1-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Once you FULLY understand the agenda, all becomes clear.
The guns WILL be taken away from us because the agenda MUST carry forward.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
reply to post by ADVISOR

Once you FULLY understand the agenda, all becomes clear.
The guns WILL be taken away from us because the agenda MUST carry forward.

This is why we need to fight! Is everyone just gonna stand around and watch while everyone gets screwed! Hell no! I refuse to. The time has come to take our country back. By force if necessary. Everyone needs to stand back from their western pampered life and start living for their families and fight for their lives! #%*@ !!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Where is the vehicle ban? Where is the binge drinking ban

Shhh... don't give 'em any ideas!

Seriously though, this is, like so many other things in politics... a knee-jerk reaction to a very traumatic event with widespread media coverage.

Some people, and the media, have simply cried loud enough that "this is unacceptable", and every one has taken their respective sides, whether they believe in it, or it was financed by someone else.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

its because the false flag attacks being done by elements of our own government

did not scare the crap out of people enough to take away Americas guns.

they will keep trying.

every generation gets a larger, DUMBER population to vote

and eventually it will happen..

and when it does

Civil War II will commence.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Right now, home invasion is the most prevalent crime in the US. Instead of taking away the only protection some people have, they should be eliminating poverty, wage reduction, shipping jobs overseas and corporate tax-breaks.

Once poverty is eliminated, and break and enters and home invasions are all but non-existant, can they even begin to discuss gun laws.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
There is an Agenda....period.

There is one People (note, I said 'People'....not government) standing in the way of the full implementation.

Once they are disarmed, the Earth is toast, as in milquetoast.

Stand strong, Americans.....our Founding Fathers were given foresight for a reason.

When we are ridiculed, criticized, made to look like defenders of violence rather than defenders of liberty, and when they parade idiots in front of the cameras to stereotype all 2A advocates, stand firm. Understand the agenda and understand the fools that cave in to it.

We must not allow a few bad apples to destroy the entire barrel.....period.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

That is like saying, don't blame all cops because of one bad apple, or just because blah blah

Have you read the threads here? That is pretty much what is done in every thread that has to do with law enforcement. Just watch, as soon as the gun craze goes away it will be back to "OMGerd!! A cop asked ME to stop filming him in the bathroom!!! POLICE BRUTALITY POLICE STATE!!!!111oneone!!11"

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Yup...

I agree with every one of you, what really crazy, is the same people against guns right now. Will be the very ones crying for protection, and asking why we don't have a more robust self defense options.

We can always have these moments to point out to them, as a reminder.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Yup...

I agree with every one of you, what really crazy, is the same people against guns right now. Will be the very ones crying for protection, and asking why we don't have a more robust self defense options.

We can always have these moments to point out to them, as a reminder.

That always makes me laugh

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Yuppers, pretty much says it all, now don't it.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

If you run over to your neighbor's house to protect them with your gun, how do you understand the context of the situation or their desire for your protection?

I wouldn't recommend it.

Disclaimer: I'm not in favor of banning guns, but your post looks like spam chain mail... pass it on.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

If you run over to your neighbor's house to protect them with your gun, how do you understand the context of the situation or their desire for your protection?

Oh I don't know. Blood curdeling screams, loud pops, someone screaming DONT KILL ME DONT KILL ME, you know stuff like that.

Disclaimer: I'm not in favor of banning guns, but your post looks like spam chain mail... pass it on.

Its a joke, not a bullet. Don't take it so hard.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Its a joke, not a bullet. Don't take it so hard.

Don't worry. I didn't.

Just calling out BS as I see it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join