It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm right, are you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Perception is reality. As a country, America can not be more divided. No matter what the issue is there is a huge difference in opinions and a lack of willingness to compromise. Using myself and the gun issue as an example. I started thinking about wether or not anyone could ever change my mind on the issue..........NOPE! I'm sure that folks on the other side of the issue feel the same way. But its not just the gun issue; gay marriage, abortion, legalizing drugs, health care, debt ceiling. The list could go on and on.

So let me ask you this question, are you right? Would you ever change your mind or compromise on the issues tearing this country apart? I'm interested in your thoughts.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
nope...cuz im tired of being lied to. let it crumble. ever read the rise and fall of the roman empire? collapse is enevitable.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
As if anyone would admit that their mind is not made up. Then they would get gang raped by everyone on both sides.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrBigDave
So let me ask you this question, are you right? Would you ever change your mind or compromise on the issues tearing this country apart? I'm interested in your thoughts.

Not really, my mind is made up. I wouldn't compromise on any issue, its an integrity thing.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Personally like to think I am always capable of changing my mind. I can think of many times in the past where I was certain in my belief and later realized I was wrong. I would be a fool to think I won't ever change my mind on my current beliefs. Knowledge is power, and I know for certain I don't know everything.

Having said that I always try and respect someone that stands behind their ideas even if I know they are wrong, as long as they are willing to remain open to the other possibilities. I'm tired I hope I am not being redundant. It's hard for me to remain positive with others when they refuse to consider logic and only base their opinions on emotion. A lot of that happening in the current flavor of the week topic though.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Most people , myself included, wont budge much.

But its ok to have different opinions and still be friends, neighbours and family.

There are a few posters on ATS that I am Polar opposites too, but I still respect them and their Postings

A Mosaic is made of different shapes and colours, and is Beautiful.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Most people , myself included, wont budge much.

But its ok to have different opinions and still be friends, neighbours and family.

There are a few posters on ATS that I am Polar opposites too, but I still respect them and their Postings

A Mosaic is made of different shapes and colours, and is Beautiful.

Won't budge much on any opinions or just the gun ownership debate? Not trying to create argument just curious if you are speaking in general or specifically?

I had an epiphany while talking to my father a couple weeks ago concerning religion, space, life, and thought. I realized even though I want to smash my ideas into his thick head sometimes, his way of thinking is just as necessary as mine. Still irritates me, but it's necessary none the less. Sometimes it's hard to step outside our own thought processes.That's an understatement of gigantic purportions actually, sometimes it's impossible.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

Not just gun Issue.
Women should choose what happens within their body.
All Americans should have access to Affordable Health Care.
What 2 consenting Adults, regardless of their Gender, do in their bedroom is none of my business.
Etc.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

I guess my question wasn't what you actually believe, but whether you are able consider that you might some day change your mind on the things you believe or whether you have ever changed your mind in the past? I'm not that concerned with your stance on those topics as much as I thought this was a theoretical discussion on how we believe. I'm not dismissing your opinions on those subjects either, just figure there are a million threads to discuss our stances and thought this thread was attempting a meta discussion.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I've changed my mind plenty of times.

Issue isn't mind changing with America, it's the compromise is seen as giving an inch or a little win by the leading parties in most debates.

Example:

It is deplorable that homosexual persons have been and are the object of violent malice in speech or in action. Such treatment deserves condemnation from the Church's pastors wherever it occurs ... [sic] ... when homosexual activity is consequently condoned, or when civil legislation is introduced to protect behavior to which no one has any conceivable right, neither the Church nor society at large should be surprised when other distorted notions and practices gain ground, and irrational and violent reactions increase
Source

Can be applied to anything though.

Let them take the automatics, it's the semi-autos and slingshots next. If we start calling it civil union, it will be admitting that we have a different type of marriage. If we let them smoke pot, they will start doing massive lines of crack and importing guns and stealing cars, then they will build some kind of super weapon and target the white house, and then the entire country will fall in massive heap, and then it will be just like that documentary about Australia ... I believe it was called Mad Max.

Big powers don't like compromise because it erodes their power. If there is no 'good fight' then there is no army and if there is no army who else is going to fund the multitude of rights organizations, religious rallies, and muppet factories?

If we got rid of the muppet factories we might even notice that shooting each other is a dumb idea. I think one thing we can all agree on is not wanting to catch bullets with our face or extremities.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I always keep an open mind. New information flows in constantly.

To ignore new information would be... ignorant.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Thank you, you just won me 20 bucks. I bet my buddy a 20 that you would come in and say something along the lines of what you just did.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Not sure if offensive?

Sigh.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke
reply to post by Superhans

Not sure if offensive?

Sigh.

Does it matter? I bet my fried that you would chime in with something along the lines of what you just said. Its not offensive at all. To my financial benefit it was a easily predictable pattern of behavior that behaves like clockwork that I was able to place a wager on. Its not offensive, it just is.

top topics

join