It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New PEW POll: 55% of Americans Favor Assault Rifle BAN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This according to a new PEW POLL. The public heavily favors universal background checks for gun buyers, and a majority of Americans approve of a federal database to track gun sales as well as a BAN on "assault style weapons," a new poll from the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press shows.

(The partisan breakdown, seven in ten Democrats backing the ban compared to 44 percent of Republicans.)

In the survey, 85 percent of respondents said they favor background checks for private and gun show sales, while only 12 percent say they oppose such checks.

Sixty-seven percent of adults surveyed approve of a federal database to track gun sales, the poll indicated. A majority -- 55 percent -- back a ban on assault weapons, with 40 percent saying they don't approve of the ban, a measure for which President Barack Obama again voiced support during a press conference today.

Almost 1/2 of all GOP favor the BAN too...44%
So much for that CIVIL WAR...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'd say that the majority of those 55% don't know what an "assault rifle" is. They are just going along with the media's hype about "evil looking guns".

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Any links? How about the questions asked? Exactly where did they take this poll? It shouldn't matter anyway, "shall not be infringed upon" isn't hard to interpret. I don't believe this poll to be factual at all, just more propaganda.

Pladuim

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

That is for sure most think it is a full auto or a weapon used by the Armed Forces. How undereducated the US citizens can be! MSM has done their job well, Dumb down the populous and anything goes.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pladuim
Any links? How about the questions asked? Exactly where did they take this poll? It shouldn't matter anyway, "shall not be infringed upon" isn't hard to interpret. I don't believe this poll to be factual at all, just more propaganda.

Pladuim

www.pewresearch.org...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
interesting.. no one polled me so how could 55% of americans say anything if they dont poll EVERY american whichi s how EVERYTHING should be done.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Here's the data.

www.people-press.org...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sensible1

Data from polls can be twisted around to show whatever fits the pollers agenda. Questions can be twisted in a way so as to be misinterpreted, the actual people being polled are not necessarily a random sampling, and results can be manipulated. Haven't we all learned by now that opinion polls cannot be trusted?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

That is for sure most think it is a full auto or a weapon used by the Armed Forces. How undereducated the US citizens can be! MSM has done their job well, Dumb down the populous and anything goes.

No. I think most people know what an assault style weapon is.. Many disagree with the reasoning any American would have for owning one.. Just because someone disagrees doesn't make them stupid or any less American. "Agree with us or you are not American?" Is that the way it is? Or the NAZI way... "You ar3e not a patriot unless you have my opinion?"

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If the finding had been 95% against any gun bans would people be so vociferous questioning the methodology of polls?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If the media and the government came out full force against the 1st Amendment, then 6 months later someone took a poll, 55% of Americans would be against that also.

The American public is easily swayed.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
They probably don't know the facts. Just what the media spews. Rifles killed less than 400 people in America in 2011. A ban on assault weapons will do literally nothing. I doubt most of the people polled even know what an assault rifle really is. They also don't know that every freedom taken away from them gets them one step closer to enslavement. Mental Health/drugs/entitlements that breed thugs and a slew of other factors are the real problem.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Polls are not trustworthy...as already stated, it's easy to "selectively poll" and get the results one is looking for. Just look at the last election, the so called "polls" indicated one thing, but that is not what happened.

I agree that the problem with many of the herd is that they actually believe what the media is telling them...never recalling that all media is owned by something like 6 mega corporations and they tell you what they want you to hear so that you will willingly follow along.

Most Americans do not know what a real "assault" rifle is...if it looks like a military style rifle, it is "evil"...

Let's face it...I'd wager that more than 55% of the public is too dumbed down and distracted to have even half of the facts straight...exactly what our "rulers" want.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Pladuim

well lets see there is the 1934 gun act the 1968 gun act that says yes it can and then there was and is soon to be a reborn 1994 gun ban act, all of which infringed on the 2nd amendment!

There should be an amendment, that states "Congress under no cause should impose a infringement/ or amendment on any amendment, with out the 2/3 majority vote of the lawful citizenry of the USA " as well as

"Congress under no cause should impose a infringement/ or amendment on any state(s) with out the 2/3 majority vote of the lawful citizenry of the USA "

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Assualt rifle ban? Seems ok, as it is not cancelling the 2nd admendment....but wait!....Didn't the constitution say that the 2nd amendment shall not be infringed in ANY way? Aren't rifles weapons too?

But hang on....policy makers say they will ban ONLY the magazines.....but wait! Wouldn't them be rendering them as ineffective as weapons that it was intended for, to protect one, one's family and the nation both domestic and foreign?

What other slieght of hand tricks do policy makers want to illusionized the People to destroy the 2nd amendment next?

And as for Polls, the polls all claimed Mitt Romney will become the president. That failed to happened, and prove how one sided, skewered, untrustworthy 'polls' had become.

Go ahead and make it into law and see what happens next. I will eat my shoe if there is NO violent act in USA, not even a murder case and and USA becomes crime free overnight once the law is passed.

edit on 15-1-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

AGREED. The definition surely was not made nor was an alternative given (yea or nay). I would like to see the breakdown by state (ie Texas) and by whether or not one owned firearms.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
We should take it at face value. A Majority of folks want a ban. Its a fact. So if you believe differently, you lobby your side of the story and get people to agree with YOU. Thats the American way. THAT is freedom. After these tragic events in Sandy Hook, how can you blame people.. Have some compassion and quit siding with the NRA for the NRA's sake. They are not GOD. The US Constitution is not the BIble (I believe in the Bible, you may not) But folks are wanting to stop these tragedies from happening, and if assault weapons are the weapons of choice for these things, then a majority of Americans want them off the shelves. My brother just bought a Mossberg 715t and he is one of the good guys. But he thought it might be illegal soon to buy one.. There is NOTHING wrong with that.. That is American too. Do what YOU are going to do. Don't tell everyone else that what you think is what they should think too is my point..

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
People are moved with compassion and feel for those precious babies and educators and their families. That is the motivation. Please look at those grieving families to their face and call them "Un-Patriotic"
edit on 15-1-2013 by sensible1 because: spl

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I'd say that the majority of those 55% don't know what an "assault rifle" is. They are just going along with the media's hype about "evil looking guns".

Indeed ...

Survey conducted as part of Gen Chem 1 class at the University of Notre Dame, revealed that a general ban of DHMO is supported by a majority of students.

After hearing about Dihydrogen Monoxide, including performing online research, respondents were asked whether or not they would support a ban of DHMO. The results of the survey are:

Should Dihydrogen Monoxide be banned? Fall 2000
Support ban of DHMO 59%
Against ban of DHMO 41%
Undecided or no opinion 0%

A previous Notre Dame study conducted as part of a Gen Chem 2 class in Spring 2000, resulted in the following opinions:

Should Dihydrogen Monoxide be banned? Spring 2000
Support ban of DHMO 86%
Against ban of DHMO 14%
Undecided or no opinion 0%

Survey conditions were informal, and further follow-up studies are planned.

www.dhmo.org...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sensible1

I believe anyone against what is written in the constitution is "UNAMERICAN".

Thanks for the link.

Pladuim

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join