It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35 suffers setback

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

That's interesting but I don't see the F-35 being cancelled at this stage. Of these so-called black projects are any of them single seat fighters? The F-35 has taken so much time and money it's hard to see how another project could be better with less time and funding spent on development.
5G sustained turn rate an F-16C can outperform that. I think a clean F-16C can do about 7-8G sustained at low to medium altitude on full burner at about 450kts IAS.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JimTSpock

Yes. There's quite a bit of speculation in what they are, but several are fighters it's believed. One is thought to be an LRS-B type aircraft, one a UAV/UCAV.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

LRS-B and UCAVs I can see but a fighter I'm not so sure. The F-22 and F-35 have cost so much and taken so long it's hard to see how that amount of time and money could be spent on more 5th gen fighters. I think we're most likely stuck with the F-35.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
fascinating

several black fighter projects, manned?

I just assumed that everything was being poured into UAV's now and that the F-22 and 35 were basically the end of the road.

When did the last black world developed fighter appear? F117?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by maintainright

That's interesting I was just thinking that. The history of US fighters I don't think many if any of them have ever been from black or secret projects. The F-117 was not a fighter but strike aircraft, it had no air to air capability.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Sorry, won't go into detail with what I know here.
Just giving a teaser.

The last truly black aircraft that came out was the F-117. Just before we left Pease AFB in 1983, they took something like 100 pilots and maintenance personnel from the 509th Bomb Wing to work on making the A-7 Corsair supersonic and night capable. *coughcough* We found out years later they went to Tonopah and were with the Nighthawk program.
edit on 1/16/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
tease !

I'm doubting google will turn anything up either

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Fighters are becoming more and more expensive, time consuming and difficult to get into service, I just don't think the money is there for another 5th gen fighter program. If we see the F-35 cancelled and something new take it's place then I might believe it but I doubt very much that will happen.

C'mon Zaphod tell us what you know, you don't have a top secret security pass do you? You're not sworn to secrecy are you? I'm sure the Chinese and Russians already know more about it than you. lol.
edit on 16-1-2013 by JimTSpock because: add

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Nope. Strictly offline sources.
If you look in the right places you might find something though.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

No, but it's entirely possible that we'll see a jump in technology soon, and see something totally new come along.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

In that case I'm tipping hypersonic stealthy UCAV with energy weapons. Maybe one day.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

No, but it's entirely possible that we'll see a jump in technology soon, and see something totally new come along.

let me ask you a question, zap.......if these modern fighter and bomber aircraft were approaching a country...oh say russsia, and, russia sent up a small nuclear tactical missle that created a EMP to knock out the electronics of all the incoming planes,...wouldn't that pretty much make these planes obsolete?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Not that much of a leap, but new forms of propulsion that give better range and higher speeds (ADVENT), new stealth systems, Lockheed was talking about a self healing skin on their 6th gen fighter they want to develop.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

From what I know about stealth systems (from articles that have disappeared and informed speculation from bloggers in the know, etc) some of the new stealth systems are so good that you won't have any idea the plane is there, let alone where to shoot a missile at. And they won't be operating in a group, they'll be in ones and twos on different courses to keep just that from happening. There's a lot of very interesting technology being developed that has made my jaw drop from what I've heard of it.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Yeah I already know that stuff about the 6th gen fighter concept. A few years off but very interesting.
SR-91 Aurora?

EMP from a nuclear warhead I think they have shielding for that.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I think 6th gen might be closer than we realize, with ADVENT going forward, and with some of the things that NASA developed years ago that quietly disappeared after development.

I think Blackswift is still out there somewhere, among other things. The way it was cancelled was consistent with it going black.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
thanks guys...i didn't know for sure about the shielding...what is ADVENT?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

It's a new engine core being developed. It stands for Adaptive Versatile Engine Technology. Basically instead of having an engine that goes really fast, but doesn't do well slow (like the J58 in the SR-71), you have an engine that does both really well. The ultimate goal is a 25% reduction in fuel consumption, as well as cooler temps in the cooling air produced by the engine. Rolls Royce and GE are both working on versions of it. It's supposed to go into operational testing this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if some earlier version is already out there.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

There's certainly research going on on exotic propulsion systems such as regenerative ATR (air turboramjet) engines and pulsed detonation wave engines.

www.globalsecurity.org...

I think the SR-91 Aurora might actually exist there have been some weird contrail sightings and eyewitness accounts of a large triangular shaped aircraft.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Yeah, there are too many sightings of SOMETHING for it to not be something. Whether it's the "SR-91" or the "TR-3" or whatever, we'll probably never know the real designation, but there's definitely something flying out there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join