It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Born Again Hippies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

...If you look closely, and really think about it, you will see it. You'll see those who give others a bad name. You'll see the hypocritical Christians, you'll see the capitalistic hippies, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about...

Disillusioned? I'm not surprised - join the club

But - here's something I think might help you: Boxes are not part of the solution - they are a very big part of the problem

People will never live up to our expectations - especially if our expectations and definitions are too rigid

Who was the realest hippie? Galileo? Abraham Lincoln? Henry David Thoreau? Charles Darwin? Marx? Rosa Parks? Noam Chomsky? Ghandi? Cesar Chavez? Reverand King? JFK? Bobby? Bob Dylan? Melanie? CSNY? Christopher Hitchens? Harvey Milk? Bella Abzug? James Earl Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner...? Al Gore? Mother Jones?

Mother Teresa? :-)

Thieves, connivers, adulterers, drinkers, egoists - makers of war...self deluded liars and just plain liars

And all human. All of us wondering about the truth and trying to say something to this world about our world - and our human condition

Most of us trying to survive our days, let alone our lives

What are you after L8RT8RZ? Authenticity?

How authentic are any of us?

In the big ways, or in the very small ways we all participate in this life - we all contribute and we all detract

(I'm still waiting on that essay...or even just a paragraph - just what is a REAL hippie?)

:-)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Well, let’s see. In my view, a hippie, a REAL hippie, not the fake ones, is someone who seeks goodness and truth. They don’t adhere to the conventional status quo, they seek something more pure, more genuine. They don’t just do it for the attention or other selfish reasons, they want to make a difference in the world.
I would think that the original hippie would have been Jesus Christ. He preached love and acceptance and gave his life for it.
The stereotypes of hippies is very misleading. They make us think of them as non-functional druggies who are dazed out of their minds and talk about “peace and love dude”, but that’s not what they are.
They are self sufficient if they need to be, but prefer to work toward a common good. They want to help those around them, they see the good in people and want to help others find happiness. They saw the system the way it was and how it was harming those in it. They didn’t adhere to social conventions that they saw as destructive but instead looked for ways to be positive, to give back, to seek happiness and peaceful solutions. They made a stand when they needed to, but not a violent stand. They worked within the system to make changes, yet didn’t depend on the system. They weren’t violently breaking laws, they had reasons for what they did, not just something that felt good.

The “fake hippies” that I was ranting about just did what was comfortable for them, fun for them. Although they helped bring visibility to the movement, they also hurt it in a lot of ways. They rode the bandwagon and when the wagon moved on, they moved on with it. They were selfish, they wanted attention and didn’t have the heart and soul that the actual hippies had.
This is just off the top of my head and my opinions of course.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

thank you

and - maybe you'll see this one day - but God love the hedonists

what kind of world would this be if there were only stoics, Spartans and ascetics?

oh - what would become of art?

:-)

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join