It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new philosophy: Ophelism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Ophelism is a word a came up with to describe this philosophy. The root "ophel-" comes from Greek meaning "advantage". Ophelism is the perspective of seeing things through its benefit.

For example, if you are forced to carry something heavy from one place to another on a hot summer day, rather than complaining, you will see the BENEFITS of the situation. So, you can think something like "well, this will help me build strength." If you had a disagreement with someone you can think to yourself "this is a good example of individuality and how we are all unique, and by talking although it may sometimes lead to disagreements it BENEFITS by helping us to stay individual and thinking of our own ideas and perspectives on things".

What I like about this perspective is that, not only doing it keep a person appreciating the situation, but it also helps to see the positive within it.

Not to be confused with Optimism which is being "hopeful" or "positive"; or opportunism which is more action oriented of taking selfish advantages of a situation. Rather, ophelism is SEEING the benefits of the situation that you are in NOW - not hoping, trying to take "advantage" without caring for others, but just SEEING the benefits that are already there.

Here is my practice at seeing from this perspective:

I am happy to have come across this perspective and to share it with others. The fact that I am now aware of this perspective means that it benefited to the expansion of my consciousness. I am happy to share this with others because it will benefit them. If they do not agree - it will be great for their mental thinking, if they do, hopefully it will bring more contentment, appreciation, and positive outlook in their lives.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I like it!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Very cool philosophy! I actually practice this in my life but never really thought about it until I read this. I have a very physical job, and when I have to carry things, I carry as much as I can and view it as exercise just as you said.

S+F

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Interesting, Ophelism sounds quite utilitarian.

I just wonder however at what point people will get upset about carrying that rock and revolt?
Or does Ophelism imply we should bear a yoke of oppression forever?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Very cool philosophy, it is extremely helpful in life also. That and it's nice to have a name for something that i use daily.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Ophelism is more about perspective than action (although, I know perspective can and does lead to action). The thing about being forced to carrying something heavy, I was using that as a metaphor for a situation that you can not change (currently). If you can attain freedom from something you do not wish to do, great, even more benefits in that. But if you are forced to do so without an escape, it is better to see the benefits when the situation can not be helped.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I have this perspective about half the time.. Especially when I was younger I wanted to do everything the hard way.. I don't want to drive there, not going to ride the bus, not taking my bike, I know I'll walk 10 miles to get there! Haha..
Now I'll be even stronger.. You make me in time out?! HA. I meditate and use this time to plan sneaky scorpio revenge mommy..

Lately I have been using another philosophy, which can be summed up in a nut shell... Laziness..
It views life with a wild abandon, and anything is possible, but why use the effort? Something will happen regardless? I'm getting very sick of this one, as it's a rut at this point.. Laziness is the perfect counter to finding anything useful in struggle.. I'm a little off my game eh?

Solution?

What's the good part of my current situation? whats good about being lazy? I dunno... Any help?
edit on 1/13/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Combine Ophelism with a healthy dose of Hedonism and the world will be a much nicer place.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Well, it is good to give the body some time to just relax after all of the work it is put through. It benefits the heart, immune system, boosts memory, lowers stroke risk, reduces depression, helps keep a clear mind for better decisions, good for your metabolism and acne [1], now you have a more prepared body and mind for when you do want to become more active/creative.

reply to post by olaru12

When "bad" things happen, we tend to not see how it benefits us. We focus on all of the negative (most of the time). This is like training your brain to think in a new way, to look at all of the benefits of the situation, so I guess that in itself can be more pleasurable than just seeing negative.
edit on 13-1-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Sounds just like Optimism
edit: I know you said not to be confused with but if you read into optimism more it can be applied beyond because mental attitude in itself is a perspective.
edit2: I re-read this and your post so nevermind lol. Im being negative sorry.
edit on 14-1-2013 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2013 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Wow, haha.. Thanks for your reply.
You've just shifted my trajectory for the next week.
I'm feeling positive.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

[color=cyan]
From what 1 has taken from the read arpgme, you are basically saying:

To accomplish certain achievements which may bring forth best outcomes-1 or many have to be willing to accept TEMPORARY potential MENTAL/PHYSICAL/SPIRITUAL discomforts/pains or obstacles which may/will seem harsh, but the STRENGTH to preserver will overall make you / them / many (a) better CREATOR Creation(s) in the end or beginning
once goals are accomplished and the integrity of the soul/spirit/internal energy has been refined through whatever TEST or process was placed upon it that seemed overwhelming but had to be done (so giving up was not an option) no matter how hard it got/gets TEACHING a soul/spirit/Internal energy as it experienced what it did during those times of PERSERVERANCE how to OVERCOME even the most odds ...

Makes sense arpgme and 1 enjoyed the positive vibes within the read

NAMASTE
LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA******* .

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

This is the perfect opportunity to elaborate.

Optimism is more focused on "Hopefulness". An optimistic person is more likely to think in positive future-oriented terms, such as "We can do it!" , "Everything will probably end up alright!", "We just have to stay strong!"

Ophelism is more focused on "Appreciation", seeing the benefits of what is happening in life. An ophelistic (?) person is more likely to think in positive present-oriented terms such as "yeah this happening, but this is benefiting us in this way", "I appreciate this because it helps me in this way", "Well, this may seem like a lot of work - but it also comes with a lot of advantages."

It is just a slight change of perspective for present appreciation/positive thinking by noticing the benefits of what happens now.

I am not devaluing action, either. If you take an action and you succeed, great, you will benefit in many ways; if you fail, even that failure is a benefit to you (it can make you stronger if you wish to try again, and more humble if you were embarrassed of failing - and you know it is ok to make the mistake).

I guess this changes your perspective of life from "life is happening TO me" to "life is happening FOR me" - from the perspective of "life is hard" to "each event in life comes with many benefits if we can see it".

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Yeah i was going to say 'optimism'.

Originally posted by arpgme

This is the perfect opportunity to elaborate.

Optimism is more focused on "Hopefulness". An optimistic person is more likely to think in positive future-oriented terms, such as "We can do it!" , "Everything will probably end up alright!", "We just have to stay strong!"

Ophelism is more focused on "Appreciation", seeing the benefits of what is happening in life. An ophelistic (?) person is more likely to think in positive present-oriented terms such as "yeah this happening, but this is benefiting us in this way", "I appreciate this because it helps me in this way", "Well, this may seem like a lot of work - but it also comes with a lot of advantages."

It is just a slight change of perspective for present appreciation/positive thinking by noticing the benefits of what happens now.

I am not devaluing action, either. If you take an action and you succeed, great, you will benefit in many ways; if you fail, even that failure is a benefit to you (it can make you stronger if you wish to try again, and more humble if you were embarrassed of failing - and you know it is ok to make the mistake).

I guess this changes your perspective of life from "life is happening TO me" to "life is happening FOR me" - from the perspective of "life is hard" to "each event in life comes with many benefits if we can see it".

Still sounds like optimism to me. I guess only if you're looking at the big picture. Maybe you're focusing on another specific point that i'm not getting.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

Optimism says the future is everything works out and will be good..
The philosophy in this thread is Things don't have to work, to be good...
Pain is weakness leaving the body..

I feel optimism is a more tented lens to view the world with than this philosophy of take what comes and use it, as opposed to expect the best..
edit on 1/14/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

It also feels like this philosophy is saying life or experiences in it may be hard to deal with at times but the hard workings that many deal with overall bring forth better outcomes. Hopefully for all experiencing it and not just a hidden group.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I am happy to be allowed this chance to exchange ideas... I learn something new every day.

Seeing advantage seems really powerful. The issue I've seen with overly optimistic individuals is that they discard negative information. You've got to take it all in, and then identify the advantage in it, so no denial.

I heard that Jujitsu fighters have a philosophy like that, where they train to think of every attack on them as a gift, something they can take advantage of. They don't "positive think" that the next punch won't come, they accept it but think of it like a gift. Now I don't remember where I heard it, but if true, that seems like a really amazing example of the philosophy in action.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
Lately I have been using another philosophy, which can be summed up in a nut shell... Laziness..
It views life with a wild abandon, and anything is possible, but why use the effort? Something will happen regardless?

I love this perspective myself, though I prefer to call it Minimalism. "I'm not lazy, I'm just a minimalist, I prefer to interfere as little as possbile with the cosmos". I usually get hit on the head by wife at about this point.

edit on 14/1/13 by Cinrad because: To say that I like Ophelism

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I love the way you describe it, much more down to earth and easy to sell to the un enlightened.

I usually end up with a rant about Ying Yang, balance, not knowing good if you do not know evil, the NEED for contrast.

I usually end up with :
"Say a child is born into a dysfunctional family, will little love or compassion.
Now yes that child will have a horribly negative childhood, however from that negativity will come a longing for the exact opposite, for Love and Compassion.
And because this individual has not experienced it from others, they will make a picture perfect example of it in their mind and hopefully manifest that longing into this world.
They will make it their life's mission to spread love and make sure no one suffers like they did.

Therefore without extreme's, then we would not know the opposites"

Personally, then i have been down with depression and let it get so extreme that i became a misanthrope.
Now these are the darkest and loneliest hours in my life and i would NEVER want to go back, but at the same time, then i would never want to give up that experience as i now strive to help people as much as i possible can because i know the loneliness of not knowing/caring and wanting.

Personally i believe "the reason i have been able to find such a bright flame flame to guide me now, is the same reason i was able to find such a big and dark shadow" (if that made sense, its cyclical)

Namaste.

edit on 14/1/13 by WiseThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I wouldnt call it a new philosophy, but I'm glad youve found a meaning to live by that brings you happiness

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join