It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: U.S. Has Fallen 'Short of the Ideal' in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well, in a moment of rare skill for the understatement, I think Obama has set new records for that area of public speaking. Understatement would, itself, be understated. Wow.

"So, you know, I think that, have we achieved everything that some might have imagined us achieving in the best of scenarios? Probably not. You know, there's a human enterprise, and you know, you fall short of the ideal," said Obama.
Source

Hey, I'd love to suggest something for our Commander and Chief. Perhaps, he could have these little moments of reflection upon his own past 4 years of performance for leading forces in that war ...atop the 7 or so that came before him....PRIVATELY.

There is something about saying this while we still have U.S. Forces in combat with the very enemy this is being said in general reference to ....that rubs my fur a little wrong. Anyone else?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Mmmm.... What was it exactly that we achieved again?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I don't recall nation building ever being part of the point, actually. This kinda grew and grew like a Chia pet on miracle grow. I've felt for quite some time that our best move at this point is to spike what can't be loaded and flown out quickly... destroy the US military facilities we've built..and leave their country to them, to the last person out. Even an Embassy left is a bad idea in such a landlocked place and neighborhood.

This is almost undermining the troops ..and I wonder if some would even say almost... while they're still there and in active fighting.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
When we all leave Afghanistan, the Taliban will win an election through intimidation and gain their power back. They've already been allowed to form a political party.
The war, the lives and the money is all for nothing. It was a #y country in 1999, it still is today and will probably always be so.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Mmmm.... What was it exactly that we achieved again?

A tripling of the money supply, imminent hyper inflation, and a credit downgrade

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
if one was aware of what the US is really doing in afghanistan, you would compliment obama on this brief statement.
edit on 11-1-2013 by tinhattribunal because: spelling

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu
When we all leave Afghanistan, the Taliban will win an election through intimidation and gain their power back. They've already been allowed to form a political party.
The war, the lives and the money is all for nothing. It was a #y country in 1999, it still is today and will probably always be so.

Yeah.. It has all been for nothing. Iraq too. What was gained now that the last guys are out in any meaningful way? It's worse in any measurable sense for quality of life than it was in 2002 before the war. Both wars... and I'd supported them both when they started too. I'd never believed the U.S. would allow another conflict to end like Vietnam. It was good humor to poke at the people who DID compare everything that could be called a fight to Vietnam. Now? Oh Geeze... We went and did it again. Twice.

..and now we're supposed to be rah rah for Syria and Iran? Oh.. I wanna be sick sometimes to imagine my little voice was even the small part it was to 2002 and 2003. Bad beliefs and buying into what we now know was entirely wrong in assumptions in both places and from the start.

(sigh) I wonder what the memorial in D.C. will be for the 'Terrorist Wars' or whatever this overall thing will come to be called when it's run it's course.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Obama is criticizing himself? I mean, as CnC, he is the one in charge.

Now to be far, Bush started this failed enterprise, but Obama has been the leader for the past 4 years.

But I have to hand it to him (Obama), he never misses a moment to bad-mouth America.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Oh I agree entirely for credit where it's due. He didn't start the mess, he just made it stinkier. (To paraphrase the 3m commercials running for a time). The run down America crap is REAL old though. The President is suppose to be optimistic and leading by ENCOURAGING example.....not actively working to bring the morale of his own nation down.

top topics

join