It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we can no longer afford religion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Maybe another question is "does religion cost too much?" Well considering the way people may at times exploit religion, yes, religion is good and religion works otherwise it would not be a commodity. You cannot exploit something inside people unless it really exists and has value. But religion itself is not exploitation, it is inner freedom itself!

I chose my strategy on Santa Claus, because it is something people can understand from an early age. My earlier commentary was far too oversimplified, yet I wanted to make a point anyone could recognize. Maybe you need to "snap out of it," when it comes to an overly serious attitude toward religion, in fact about anything in life.

Some of us may have had a bad experience around religion, but for me when that happened it was not about God and faith, it was about people and what they had to say. Scary stories were one thing, and imagination is a terrible thing to waste. Things did not weigh right in this inner track sometimes. That is what we cannot afford, is it not? I was thoughful to choose the better part of things, at least at some point of decision, and that is why this religious experience is probably fairly happy.

More questions arise, such as should people take that point of reference where there is peace within us, and then place another field of vision upon it only to take that point of agreement and use it to another purpose?

Think about it, people justifying a lack of conscience, and outright blindness even from the pulpit! Those are the very things we were all warned about in the Gospels, for example, and in other spiritual writing, is it not so?

The fact is we cannot afford to be without the best of those values, but so learning through absence of that inner core of understanding what it is we can afford.

The universal appeal of generousity, is compelling. Caring about one another is the thought that counts when you consider the gift of living. Why neglect any lessons in life from any source?

To jettison religion, because people forgot everything they have learned, and act contrary to it, while pumping themselves as an "upright people," is just a stretch. We should expect it, and be prepared for it, because it is human nature.

In one way I agree with the statement in and of itself, "we can no longer afford religion," but only when it "cost too much."

On the other hand I disagree, when religion is a working ideal within ourselves, something that helps us in life. When we are true to ourselves, then why bother with excessive baggage.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman
On the other hand I disagree, when religion is a working ideal within ourselves, something that helps us in life. When we are true to ourselves, then why bother with excessive baggage.

And that's my point. At best, religion only serves as a religious crutch when man can no longer depend on themselves to progress their lives. They seek the help of the trancedence which is ultimately empty.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
OK, how about this for thought. So those here that do not believe in religion/God, What do you belive happens to you when you die? I have read some people think that once we die we become part of some cosmic energy in the universe.

Now isn't that that crappy! Imagine becoming one with some sort of energy, no individuality no freedom to do and be unique, almost like being assimilated.

Just look at you inner feelings and you can tell that you have a soul that feels pain, happiness, sorrow, and yes love for family, people and other things.

I went through a hard time when my mother had open heart surgery and it was a rough ride. I turned to prayer and talked to God. I am Catholic by the way. I felt that I was not alone at all, even in my darkest point in my life. Thanks to God and I mean that truly, my mom pulled through and she has made a strong recovery.

Just look around you, see all the life forms on earth, animals, plants, bacteria, etc. Everything has a purpose, a reason for being, it can't be some cosmic fluke! Someone had to come up with the idea to create things as they are.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by niato007
OK, how about this for thought. So those here that do not believe in religion/God, What do you belive happens to you when you die? I have read some people think that once we die we become part of some cosmic energy in the universe.

Now isn't that that crappy! Imagine becoming one with some sort of energy, no individuality no freedom to do and be unique, almost like being assimilated.

Just look at you inner feelings and you can tell that you have a soul that feels pain, happiness, sorrow, and yes love for family, people and other things.

I went through a hard time when my mother had open heart surgery and it was a rough ride. I turned to prayer and talked to God. I am Catholic by the way. I felt that I was not alone at all, even in my darkest point in my life. Thanks to God and I mean that truly, my mom pulled through and she has made a strong recovery.

Just look around you, see all the life forms on earth, animals, plants, bacteria, etc. Everything has a purpose, a reason for being, it can't be some cosmic fluke! Someone had to come up with the idea to create things as they are.

You have voted niato007 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.
Your post was a great answer to the question can we afford religion. You mention faith in the next life, the soul, and all the beautiful natural creations of God.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by niato007

I congratulate you for not reading a single post in this thread besides the title.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I don't think we should rule out the existence of God; religions are illogical, but God isn't.

Here is the reason why religions are illogical: if there is God, then God is for all people, not for a small part of them. Therefore, the existence of different conflicting religions make religions illogical.

On the other hand, the existance of God is quite logical. Why do we exist? nobody knows. Why is there a universe? nobody knows. Is there a reason behind the existence of the universe? there is none, unless there is God.

Of course, the existence of God is also equally illogical at the same time! why there is a God? who created God? if God is eternal, why should the universe not be eternal?

You see, when talking about God and the universe, we step into the un-logical realm. We simply can not say that God exists or does not exist: it is exactly 50% propability that God exists and 50% that God does not exist.

On the other hand, we can say with 100% propability that religions are illogical, simply because if there is a God that created the universe, then this God is a god for all people, and not some privileged part of them.

(in other words, it is silly to argue for being Christian or for being Muslim or Jew or anything else since, if there is God that created this universe, all people are His children...which makes religions an irrelevant fabrication.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join