It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**380** 2.5+ Earthquakes this past week......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

According to the official USGS website there have been 380 earthquakes in magnitude of 2.5 or greater registered, in the past 7 days alone (at the time of this writing).

In fact i believe it was on wednseday this week that they registered almost 60 quakes in one day....if anyone has been watching lately.

I tend to check the USGS website quite often these days, i havent been watching for a long time, and not very experienced at all when it comes to earthquake data/ analysis but can anyone shed light on what is the typical average of quakes that occur each week??

and whether this seems as quite a bit more activity than usual???

I did a bit of research and based on how long i have been watching the website this past few months i think the average is around 30 a day, sometimes less sometimes a bit more, but i have never seen 380 in a week, i thought it was quite high!

any thoughts?

USGS

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
there's tonnes of earthwuakes all day every day. it is a bit alarming when u just get started.. i now tend to monitor only quakes of 4.5 and over.. got a nice android app for that.. notifies me every new earthquake with the parameters i set.
edit on 11-1-2013 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 0mage

Yeah i guess so, i also tend to ignore anything below 5ish richters as they are usually insignificant, but i just felt the overall quake activity seemed more than usual these past few days, according to this website:

Volcano Discovery

there have been 121 quakes (2.5+ richters) in the past 24 hours,doesnt all that energy correlate to something? maybe this time of year (january) sees more activity than other months?
edit on 11-1-2013 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ISeekTruth101

2.5 quakes can't even knock an empty tall bottle of svedka off my 4 foot high table. They're weak. Earth is constanly shaking all over. When theres a week of 60 earthquakes of +5 magnitude then i'll worry

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

yeah im no expert.. in fact far from it.. but i guess we have all noticed earthquakes have started popping up in some new areas or rather areas that have been dormant for a long time. the monitoring continues.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by idl3d3m0n

Yeah i realise that
, but i see your point, for now theres only been 28 quakes (5+) this past week, but will continue monitoring !

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

My thoughts are that a lot of small quakes are good They release the seizmic pressure gradually.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
You just need to go on the RSOE website
You'll see it's quite a shock at first if you'll pardon the pun.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by idl3d3m0n

2.5 quakes can't even knock an empty tall bottle of svedka off my 4 foot high table. They're weak. Earth is constanly shaking all over. When theres a week of 60 earthquakes of +5 magnitude then i'll worry

It doesn't matter how large the scale is, a significant amount of smaller activity is still a sign of something going on.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

And you need to know that if you are following USGS they are only monitoring quakes in the United States that are between 2.5 and 4.5, and world wide for those above 4.5, so imagine the true amount of activity is much more than you are seeing.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISeekTruth101
I tend to check the USGS website quite often these days, i havent been watching for a long time, and not very experienced at all when it comes to earthquake data/ analysis but can anyone shed light on what is the typical average of quakes that occur each week??
USGS

Yeah, what tends to happen as you observe USGS over short periods of time is that you find some erratic measurements that at first don't add up. But if you have been watching for a while you will see that crusts displacement follows a recurring pattern over extended periods of time.

Keep watching!
edit on 25-2-2015 by MstWntd because: (no reason given)

top topics

join